STAX SRM-D10 Portable Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier / DAC
Sep 4, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #61 of 130
The green LED just goes out when dead and it goes solid red when charging, then off when fully charged, takes about 3 hrs from a complete drain.
Exactly 4 hours from complete drain, and red light is still blinking... (as mentioned before, was solid red for the first 50 minutes or so, but blinking red since)
Will give it another hour before I disconnect, and then test how long the battery lasts through USB input (was exactly 1.5 hours when I got it "fully charged" from the seller yesterday).

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #62 of 130
Exactly 4 hours from complete drain, and red light is still blinking... (as mentioned before, was solid red for the first 50 minutes or so, but blinking red since)
Will give it another hour before I disconnect, and then test how long the battery lasts through USB input (was exactly 1.5 hours when I got it "fully charged" from the seller yesterday).
Zachik, Something just ain’t right!

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #63 of 130
I have been playing for several weeks with the D10 paired with the L700 mkII. I have experienced quite the opposite when comes to volume. The amp seems to drive them very well and while they do need volume around 11 o'clock or so when using the internal dac still works out very well.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #64 of 130
I have had the D10 and L700 mk11 for just under two weeks and although I have nothing to really gauge it by - apart from conventional headphones - the volume is more than adequate for my listening levels with quite a bit in reserve.
This is my first Stax setup and I must say I am delighted with it :)

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #66 of 130
S10 does great with the l500mkII. I don't have an estat reference but damn this combo is amazing for music.

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #67 of 130
Has anyone heard(paired)the D10 with the current Stax SR-003MK2 for a true portable experience? I’ve been able to listen the the D10 with the L700 which was a very pleasant experience but have never come across any comments when the 003MK2 is used with the D10, which frankly seems what Stax had in mind?

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #68 of 130
So I’ve been using my Stax D10/SR-003mk2 combo for some months now and after an initial break in period I must say it really impressed me as for what Stax has finally achieved here with portables. I’ve been listening to Stax for just a few years now with my main system currently consisting of the L700/007tII/ Denafrips Ares II Dac combo so I think I have a pretty good point of reference.

With well recored music and when volume is set correctly, for me it’s been around the 10 o’clock on the volume pot, as I have come to find out unless really needed a higher output only seems to increase the high frequency with little effect on mid or base. So with most recording levels the 10 spot worked very well for me without any fatigue or strain and was still able to provide the Stax sound in a very convincing way.

One little quick side note, the headband provided is very essential to achieving what I’m talking about up above. Not sure how much it differs from the original design but this one adjusts and swivels to better fit the ear canal properly. Is it completely comfort unnoticeable, no, but it does get to a point after what I assume is band stress break in, that you can listen for a few hours without much discomfort. Pick the right size tips and you’re done. Oddly just about the time the battery runs out, it’s time to take it off your head, go figure! These are not all day workshop earphones so don’t think of them like that and you will be just fine.

So I’ll finish with, it’s not a cheap set up but then again no Stax are! But you get a long way into the Stax presentation of music reproduction at a bargain price point especially when you consider no additional cost of adding an external dac.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #69 of 130
I like my D10 and I think it sounds very good given its size. It plays very very well with the Koss ESP950 and a little bright with the 009. Agreed with others on getting better results with external DAC. I have the TA-ZH1ES and the DAC out is good but not great.
Does it connect directly to koss esp950 or do I need an adapter?

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #70 of 130
Does it connect directly to koss esp950 or do I need an adapter?
Yes, you will need an adapter going from koss to stax, but it is very much worth it.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #73 of 130
does anybody have a picture of the internals of the D10?

Is it just a 252 with a DAC board plus a lithium battery pack? 3x 18650?
Definitely not a 252 with a DAC board. Justine mentioned an “Apex chip” to handle high voltage. It is a decent sounding solution.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #75 of 130
hmm, I didn't realize there is no longer a 252-sized table-top amp in the current Stax offering.

Anyway, any photos of the internals? or is it a sealed unit?
Buy one and take it apart and post some pictures for all of us to enjoy please. Joking aside I don’t know how to take it apart without special tools or service manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back