STAX SRM-D10 Portable Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier / DAC
Aug 31, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #48 of 130
Do your homework on which dac is better, Stax or A&K? I’m guessing the SR 25 is and if you go that route use the 3.5 mm analog input so to by pass the D10 dac. You don’t need double conversion. But then again trying both inputs and listen to make sure.

I had been using mine with the Denafrips Ares II with really good results, much better than the internal Stax dac. But if I would have never tried an external dac I would have been happy regardless as it still offered the Stax house sound.

It’s also been said that volume knob rotation past noon only increases the high freq by +3 dB having no effect on the bottom end freq.

Peak at this...https://headfonics.com/2019/03/stax-srm-d10-first-contact/
For me, running the D10 maxed out has a favourable effect on soundstage/imaging, while only reducing battery life by about 20 minutes.

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #49 of 130
For me, running the D10 maxed out has a favourable effect on soundstage/imaging, while only reducing battery life by about 20 minutes.
With this adjustment to the volume control on the D10, what’s the setting range like for the source when using that volume pot? Are you getting anywhere near noon to 2pm which seems to be best for dynamics? So noise is not an issue?

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #50 of 130
With this adjustment to the volume control on the D10, what’s the setting range like for the source when using that volume pot? Are you getting anywhere near noon to 2pm which seems to be best for dynamics? So noise is not an issue?
With a full 2V output from my source, noon on the D10 is too loud for me. With 16dB attenuation, so somewhere around 0.35V output from the source, I can max out the D10 and the volume is comparable to setting the dial to the power lamp when using the 2V output. I think 12dB of attenuation (0.5V output) would be optimal. I haven't encountered any issues with noise.

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #51 of 130
Anyone used an Android phone (or tablet) as source, using its USB-C port?
If so - which "USB-C to micro-USB" cable have you used?

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #52 of 130
Got a question for the folks who own a D10:
So I got a used D10 yesterday, and it was partially charged. After exactly 1.5 hours of playing music this morning, battery flat-lined. OK...
I plugged it in to charge, and the charge LED turned solid RED as expected.
Then, approx. 50 minutes later, LED is now flashing RED (slow 1-2 second flash cycle).
Manual says: "If red light flashes please check whether the attached power adapter is used"
(whatever that means...)
To clarify, the power adapter is the Stax branded one, with the flat rubbery feeling cable.

ANY advice? May I assume that is NOT normal behavior? Please help...
For now, I am letting it keep "charging" and see if at any point it would stop charging (LED off)...

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #54 of 130
Got a question for the folks who own a D10:
So I got a used D10 yesterday, and it was partially charged. After exactly 1.5 hours of playing music this morning, battery flat-lined. OK...
I plugged it in to charge, and the charge LED turned solid RED as expected.
Then, approx. 50 minutes later, LED is now flashing RED (slow 1-2 second flash cycle).
Manual says: "If red light flashes please check whether the attached power adapter is used"
(whatever that means...)
To clarify, the power adapter is the Stax branded one, with the flat rubbery feeling cable.

ANY advice? May I assume that is NOT normal behavior? Please help...
For now, I am letting it keep "charging" and see if at any point it would stop charging (LED off)...
Yeah sorry, so no idea what they mean by “flashing red...”, it‘s like they didn‘t finish their train of thought. I’ve never seen mine flash red but must be something to do with AC as it refers to the adapter plug? Flashing green means no audio signal detected while the DC10 is on. The green LED just goes out when dead and it goes solid red when charging, then off when fully charged, takes about 3 hrs from a complete drain. As for listening times, my experience, when first out of the box, was about 4.5hrs+ for line mode and 3.5+ in usb dac mode. Each ran about 15 mins over what the stated times were in the foldout manual. Which is pretty good!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #55 of 130
It just goes solid red when charging then off when charged, takes about 3 hrs from a complete drain.
Thanks - will wait for others to chime in, too.
It has been just over 2 hours since I plugged it in (battery totally drained). Will wait 2 more hours and see if red LED goes off or not...
I have a feeling I am going to ask the seller to take it back and refund my money :frowning2:

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #56 of 130
Thanks - will wait for others to chime in, too.
It has been just over 2 hours since I plugged it in (battery totally drained). Will wait 2 more hours and see if red LED goes off or not...
I have a feeling I am going to ask the seller to take it back and refund my money :frowning2:
Do you live in a different country than the original owner? I know APOS Audio was curious of the what the power standards are where I live.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #57 of 130
Do you live in a different country than the original owner? I know APOS Audio was curious of the what the power standards are where I live.
Both seller and I live in the US.
I am not sure the seller was the original owner, though.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #58 of 130
Both seller and I live in the US.
I am not sure the seller was the original owner, though.
Might be worth it to contact Stax and see if they can help.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #60 of 130
Call Staxaudio.com, aka Woo Audio out of NY. Ask for Mike, great guy, he will definitely answer all your questions.
I know Mike @HiFiGuy528 (bought several Woo Audio amps from him!)
Mike - can you please PM me? I cannot start a PM thread with you, due to your privacy settings on Head-Fi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back