STAX SRM-D10 Portable Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier / DAC
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #77 of 130
Buy one and take it apart and post some pictures for all of us to enjoy please. Joking aside I don’t know how to take it apart without special tools or service manual.

1606794792364.jpeg

This better work when I get it back togethe! 🎧

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #79 of 130
Hi all

Got a D10+L700mk2 last week at the official local dealer (Edifier headquarters in my country). First night with it I was at a 110V city. Next day I went back to my hometown which is 220V. On that night, after a few hours using it connected via USB to my PC I noticed it was a lot hotter than the day before, and also there was static noise coming from right phone. Performed some tests (plugging in another wallet, another house, switched source to laptop, etc) but the static was there, usually louder as the D10 got hotter. Taking the micro USB cable either from the D10, from the source, or both did make things worse (using the analog conection did not affect the static). If I touched the body of the D10 (anywhere but its volume control) the static would go off. I suspected the problem was with the D10's micro USB input. Went back to the Stax dealer (110v city) and the noise wasn't there at first, but after some 40 minutes I could hear it again , though very low. One technician there said he could hear as well but on the left phone! They swapped the unit and I came back to my hometown and plugged in the 220-110V transformer and am listening for many hours without any static noise. However I do worry it will come back later, specially if I plugged it again directly on the wall (or line filter) at 220V as it gets a lot hotter.
Did anyone experience such static noise with the D10?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #80 of 130
*another outlet, not another wallet

I moved this topic to the The Stax Thread III (page 1392) as it will be more visible there and Im not sure if the problem comes from the D10, the L700, my setup, etc, and others with EE HP can probably contribute/benefit.

Also, for those interested, other than for this issue I'm really happy with the D10/L700II combo. Yes, things were even better with the 700T (more bass control specially at higher volumes, more subtle highs, etc) , but I found the D10 quite enjoyable and transparent for the price. I also noted that with the D10, I could simply not hear differences between the L700 and 009S (other than the lower volume on the latter) but the L500 sounded like a smaller speaker compared to the L700, but with a vey similar signature.

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #81 of 130
*another outlet, not another wallet

I moved this topic to the The Stax Thread III (page 1392) as it will be more visible there and Im not sure if the problem comes from the D10, the L700, my setup, etc, and others with EE HP can probably contribute/benefit.

Also, for those interested, other than for this issue I'm really happy with the D10/L700II combo. Yes, things were even better with the 700T (more bass control specially at higher volumes, more subtle highs, etc) , but I found the D10 quite enjoyable and transparent for the price. I also noted that with the D10, I could simply not hear differences between the L700 and 009S (other than the lower volume on the latter) but the L500 sounded like a smaller speaker compared to the L700, but with a vey similar signature.
You definitely have something odd going on. I know APOS was concerned about sending me the D10 while I was in Japan but I never had an issue with it. Plus the wall wart says it's good from 100v to 240v so you should be safe. I never had any static so I'm pretty positive you had a bad unit. Oh and it does get warm but not hot.

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #82 of 130
thanks. Indeed when plugged in at 220v I could fry an egg on it, and it isnt even hot around here as it's winter now. So keep in mind that would be two consecutive bbrand new bad units, as they swapped mine for a new one. I live in Brazil and Stax just arrived here, they started selling D10 some 2 months ago and it is not clear yet how many people will experience such issues (most cities are 110v but I happen to live in a 220v one). At this time Im believing it is more of a design flaw with the D10's digital input that may be more obvious on some electric networks

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #83 of 130
thanks. Indeed when plugged in at 220v I could fry an egg on it, and it isnt even hot around here as it's winter now. So keep in mind that would be two consecutive bbrand new bad units, as they swapped mine for a new one. I live in Brazil and Stax just arrived here, they started selling D10 some 2 months ago and it is not clear yet how many people will experience such issues (most cities are 110v but I happen to live in a 220v one). At this time Im believing it is more of a design flaw with the D10's digital input that may be more obvious on some electric networks
You can try a step down transformer to see if that helps with the heat.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #84 of 130
Maybe Stax China(Edifier) is not as good as the products out of Japan? You really shouldn’t be having these problems with the D10 or its power supply. Your unit having issues 2nd time around is unforgivable in my book. They were having similar problems with the D50 when first launched.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #85 of 130
Sorry for reactivating this thread again.
Got a D10 some days ago. I wanted to use it as a quick solution at my working desk. I tried to connect the D10 with my iPhone via micro usb to Lightning cable but it didn‘t work. I saw some did it here, what cable did You use? Any help would be great!

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #86 of 130
Im using my Iphone with lightining to P2 (3.5) over the analog connector on the D10.works fine and almost same SQ, and used less battery according to most reports here, Ive never measured myself.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #87 of 130
BTW, I grounded the electrical wiring on the room where my headphone system is. Problem solved, no more "static" noise on the right L700ii. Many people guessed that adding the ground wire wouldn't solve it since the D10 has an internal battery. But the fact that the noise would always go off when I touched the amp always seemed to me to hint at the outcome. Of course I didn't go through all the trouble in the house just for stopping this noise. I added some "hi-fi ground wiring passive devices" and sound quality has noticebly improved, plus there is the protection to the system.

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #88 of 130
Hi all,

I have the D10 on loan right now, charged it up as it was empty.
The unit functions perfectly but there is one problem.

When the unit is turned off, I can hear it humming, somewhere near the line in port. If someone could see if they get the same result that would be great.

I get the hum with nothing attached to the unit, so no headphones, no other devices.

Thanks,
-CH23

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #89 of 130
Hi all,

I have the D10 on loan right now, charged it up as it was empty.
The unit functions perfectly but there is one problem.

When the unit is turned off, I can hear it humming, somewhere near the line in port. If someone could see if they get the same result that would be great.

I get the hum with nothing attached to the unit, so no headphones, no other devices.

Thanks,
-CH23
I do not have a hum with my D10. Given your description, I wonder if there's a problem with the power supply.

Dan

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #90 of 130
I do not have a hum with my D10. Given your description, I wonder if there's a problem with the power supply.

Dan
it was not connected to the power supply, so maybe battery management misfiring or something?

Normally i'd just screw it apart, but since this is not mine, I can't do that :X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back