Stax SR-X9000
Mar 12, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #2,341 of 2,979
One of the reasons I'm holding back on buying one although it's at the top of my things to buy list
It's a really unfortunate thing, because they're excellent.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #2,342 of 2,979
It's a really unfortunate thing, because they're excellent.
It is very unfortunate and fingers crossed my unit remains fully balanced! I am still enjoying my honeymoon period with them and how they replay my classical playlist. I find them so difficult to take off. Bliss!

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #2,343 of 2,979
Hey guys,

just joined the club.

1678740973390.png

I want to share my first impressions before I get used to the headphone :)

Generally the X9000 sounds quite balanced but leaning towards a brighter signature. I guess that was to be expected from a Stax. Still I would say it is a darker one compared to other Stax headphones I have heard.

The timbre is quite good, but honestly I haven't heard any electrostat headphone that has a very natural timbre. And from the bunch I have heard, the X9000 has the best one. The Susvara has still the most natural timbre I personally have ever heard in a headphone.

Altough the X9000 is a bit brighter, the sound is quite smooth. My last electrostat was the Bravura, which was a bit more edgy. However I find the X9000 a bit fatiguing for longer listening sessions.

What stood out for me when listening for the first time was the resolution and the texture that the X9000 gives to the notes. It reminded me of the Odin with all the texture and visceral notes that you can nearly feel grabbing. It's really a joy listening to all the details that pop out everywhere.

The soundstage is also amazing, it's quite wide and gives every instrument space which is really needed with the resolution and separation it provides. Otherwise it would probably sound quite analytical and too intense.

I was reading in the thread that the X9000 is missing dynamics which I can't confirm. I have heard flat sounding Stax headphones, but in my oppinion the X9000 is far away from that. Contrary I would even say it is one of the standouts together with the bass that separates it from the typical electrostat headphones.

Speaking about the bass, it is quite neutral in my oppinion. It is there when called, it is not light but it is also not elevated. It can slam satisfyingly. It also works pretty good with modern music and EDM.

The star of the show is the treble in my oppinion. It's unbelievable how good the treble sounds with treble focused songs. Also accoustic music is incredbile with the X9000. Very resolving and effortless. Sounds and feels so good.

I am also fine with the mids, but the upper-mids can get a tad energetic at times. Because of that, they also heavily reveal bad recordings.

It's ability to play my diverse playlists is good but not perfect. With some tracks, it is unbelievably good, never heard songs with that much joy, but with other tracks it doesn't work very well. It's not related to the genre in my oppinion, especially as it has good bass it can also play EDM quite good. Not sure yet. I would say the X9000 is not a very good all-rounder. I would prefer the Susvara as an all-rounder. But when the X9000 hits a song, it really does.

To sum it up, the X9000 has top notch technicalities, overcomes quite some of the downsides of elec
headphones. But it is not a relaxed listen as it leans towards a brighter sound signature and with all of the resolution it brings. It is quite capable of being an all-rounder but definitely excels in some types of music better than in others.

Looking forward to gather further impressions!

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #2,344 of 2,979
It is very unfortunate and fingers crossed my unit remains fully balanced! I am still enjoying my honeymoon period with them and how they replay my classical playlist. I find them so difficult to take off. Bliss!

Fingers crossed for you, and I still may take the chance, as I do miss them.

Hey guys,

just joined the club.

1678740973390.png

Generally the X9000 sounds quite balanced but leaning towards a brighter signature. I guess that was to be expected from a Stax. Still I would say it is a darker one compared to other Stax headphones I have heard.

The timbre is quite good, but honestly I haven't heard any electrostat headphone that has a very natural timbre. And from the bunch I have heard, the X9000 has the best one. The Susvara has still the most natural timbre I personally have ever heard in a headphone.

Altough the X9000 is a bit brighter, the sound is quite smooth. My last electrostat was the Bravura, which was a bit more edgy. However I find the X9000 a bit fatiguing for longer listening sessions.

What stood out for me when listening for the first time was the resolution and the texture that the X9000 gives to the notes. It reminded me of the Odin with all the texture and visceral notes that you can nearly feel grabbing. It's really a joy listening to all the details that pop out everywhere.

The soundstage is also amazing, it's quite wide and gives every instrument space which is really needed with the resolution and separation it provides. Otherwise it would probably sound quite analytical and too intense.

I was reading in the thread that the X9000 is missing dynamics which I can't confirm. I have heard flat sounding Stax headphones, but in my oppinion the X9000 is far away from that. Contrary I would even say it is one of the standouts together with the bass that separates it from the typical electrostat headphones.

Speaking about the bass, it is quite neutral in my oppinion. It is there when called, it is not light but it is also not elevated. It can slam satisfyingly. It also works pretty good with modern music and EDM.

The star of the show is the treble in my oppinion. It's unbelievable how good the treble sounds with treble focused songs. Also accoustic music is incredbile with the X9000. Very resolving and effortless. Sounds and feels so good.

I am also fine with the mids, but the upper-mids can get a tad energetic at times. Because of that, they also heavily reveal bad recordings.

It's ability to play my diverse playlists is good but not perfect. With some tracks, it is unbelievably good, never heard songs with that much joy, but with other tracks it doesn't work very well. It's not related to the genre in my oppinion, especially as it has good bass it can also play EDM quite good. Not sure yet. I would say the X9000 is not a very good all-rounder. I would prefer the Susvara as an all-rounder. But when the X9000 hits a song, it really does.

To sum it up, the X9000 has top notch technicalities, overcomes quite some of the downsides of elec
headphones. But it is not a relaxed listen as it leans towards a brighter sound signature and with all of the resolution it brings. It is quite capable of being an all-rounder but definitely excels in some types of music better than in others.

Enjoyed reading. Nearly mirrors my original thoughts on them. I think the bass/impact piece is pretty important. For a stat it has much better bass and impact across the entire spectrum than most. The 007 (the right model) has ime the most and the CRBN has a touch more impact.

The interesting thing is how people the brightness lol, which again imo is extremely dependent on the person so I get it. I didn't hear any brightness but I know others have, but like you mention they are absolutely darker and less bright than most stats, similar to the Omega, although I found the Omega darker, closer to 007 levels but with more transparency and refinement. Happy listening. :)

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #2,345 of 2,979
Enjoyed reading. Nearly mirrors my original thoughts on them. I think the bass/impact piece is pretty important. For a stat it has much better bass and impact across the entire spectrum than most. The 007 (the right model) has ime the most and the CRBN has a touch more impact.
Speaking in absolute terms, I would really classify the bass of the X9000 as a neutral. Maybe a tad behind Susvara but I am really not missing out anything when listening to EDM or similar genres. The quality is really good, textured and the impact is also very satisfying. I think the bass is more similar to a planar bass than to a DD.

I had the 007 with the blutak mod, but it was quite some time ago. So I don't remember it anymore.

The interesting thing is how people the brightness lol, which again imo is extremely dependent on the person so I get it. I didn't hear any brightness but I know others have, but like you mention they are absolutely darker and less bright than most stats, similar to the Omega, although I found the Omega darker, closer to 007 levels but with more transparency and refinement. Happy listening. :)
They really sound bright to me (not sibilant or shouty though). I was a bit dissapointed as I was expecting a more relaxed listening experience reading through the thread. But it fits the headphone and the Stax identity. And it is high quality treble. I am playing around with EQ a litte and having a fall of by 4db from the bass to the treble works quite well for me.

1678743599482.png

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #2,346 of 2,979
They really sound bright to me (not sibilant or shouty though). I was a bit dissapointed as I was expecting a more relaxed listening experience reading through the thread. But it fits the headphone and the Stax identity. And it is high quality treble. I am playing around with EQ a litte and having a fall of by 4db from the bass to the treble works quite well for me.

1678743599482.png

Very interesting and again I know that was the case for some others so I totally hear you and am not at all invalidating how you find them to be. I also talk to a lot of people on the side about potential purchases, helpful to be able to share that some people do so I can mention it. Just interesting how these things differ person to person. :)

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #2,347 of 2,979
Hey guys,

just joined the club.
Hello dynamo, congrats to your X9000! Some comments from my side :)

Bright, dark, balanced, lean, smooth, fatiguing. If I would not have a X9000, I would have my doubts about these contradictorily adjectives decribing the sound signature of just one headphone. But I can follow you, and X9000 is really difficult to grab.
In comparison to frequency response curves of speakers, I never cared a lot about the curves measured of headphones. Too big were the differences between the graphs and my listening experience. In case of X9000 my guess (!) is, that there is an emphasis at about 2 - 3 kHz, which is responsible for the brightness. I'm not (yet) equalizing at headphones, but reducing few db in this area and playing with the bandwith is what I would try.
I had my issues with the wide soundstage for some time, now I enjoy it much more, but it works not on all recording for me.
I miss dynamics and bite in the treble. As perfect micro dynamics and resolution is, macro dynamic is lacking for my taste. In this regard I prefer my other Staxes.
Agree mostly, but sometimes I feel the bass is bleeding a bit into very low mids. Even if 009 bass is less precise and less deep, I sometimes prefer how it is presented. X9000 bass can be really really good and much more complete compared to 009, but it also feels light sometimes. But in this regard I would not want to miss the well driven 007, despite its lower precision.
The star of the show is the treble in my oppinion.
In conclusion yes and no, haha
See above 2 - 3 kHz guess. When e.g. playing Creep from Radiohead at a healthy level, at about min 2:04 ff, not only the guitar sounds ear piercing. Listening to the same with 009 sounds almost relaxed. 009 is brighter in 1 kHz region though.

100 % agreeing on everything here, just that I do not have the comparison to Susvaras.

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #2,348 of 2,979
Hey guys,

just joined the club.

1678740973390.png

Generally the X9000 sounds quite balanced but leaning towards a brighter signature. I guess that was to be expected from a Stax. Still I would say it is a darker one compared to other Stax headphones I have heard........
after a month of work, the headphones will change a little, become a little darker. you need to change the stax amplifier, it just does not swing х9000

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #2,349 of 2,979
Hey guys,

just joined the club.

1678740973390.png

Are you really driving the Susvara from the Topping DX5 or is your signature missing gear? Asking so I can understand the comparisons you make better

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #2,350 of 2,979
sometimes I feel the bass is bleeding a bit into very low mids

Agree. For me this is the one thing that stands between these wonderful headphones being great vs outstanding. I suspect that’s also why they sound excellent on some tracks but less on others

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #2,351 of 2,979
After reading my last post again, my criticism of X9000 might have appeared as being more serious than intended. If I have to weight the a.m. points, then the mentioned "brightness" and the bass is not a big issue for me. My main point is the lack of bite and makro dynamics in the treble that could partly be a consequence of the spacial presentation. So over time I feel being more and more in line with what numberonesixerfan wrote about it in previous posts.
In total I enjoy X9000 enough to keep it, even if considering its steep price tag. I feel it is really a very good headphone that does some things better than 007/009, as these it is a bit special though.

Mar 14, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #2,353 of 2,979
Lack of bass, lack of macro dynamics, shouting mids hmmmmm...
And I decided order and still waiting...
Hope a good decision. But seems without EQ its not good.
You generalize too much here. And I was maybe nitpicking too much. The bass is most precise and complete compared to 007/009. Just not emphasized and impactful as on 007. The mids are not shouty, and the treble beautifully refined and resolving, just not that snappy. But overall the sound signature is more on the polite side, so maybe its not the best "rocker". It seems that you still had no opportunity to listen to it before ordering.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #2,355 of 2,979
It's not the first headphone I buy blind. A little polite can be a good thing. I Like the polite character of Susvara vs the snappy thing in 1266 TC. I Hope a bass shelf can give the slam factor.
I think that if you like the Susvara you're likely going to like the X9000. That's how I feel about both of them at least.
Not so sure about getting the slam though. I don't think that's something that you can simply solve with EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back