Stax SR-X9000
Sep 29, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #31 of 3,032
I’ve been strongly considering jumping on the e-stat wave. It does appear most people suggest not using Stax energizers. Many recommend a DIY T2, but I haven’t really found out how you commission one. I also looked at the Woo Audio 3ES, given how much I love their WA33. Though, people seem to not like Woo Audio Energizers. It’s all kinda confusing :thinking:

Perhaps it’s a bit overwhelming at first but there is indeed due diligence to read / search threads over for warnings and impressions because estat amps design is just a whole over ball game than regular low voltage headamps.

There are DIY T2 builders out there, shouldn’t be too hard to find with using a search function. Myself, I’d search for a carbon or used BHSE for starters, and that should be at least half the cost of a T8000 for likely better performance (hard to compete there for Stax I’m afraid, pricewise for starters).

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #32 of 3,032
I’ve been strongly considering jumping on the e-stat wave. It does appear most people suggest not using Stax energizers. Many recommend a DIY T2, but I haven’t really found out how you commission one. I also looked at the Woo Audio 3ES, given how much I love their WA33. Though, people seem to not like Woo Audio Energizers. It’s all kinda confusing :thinking:
I see some suggest that a DIYT2 cost like $6,000 just for the parts alone. And personally that’s a hefty price tag considering a MSB amp for Stax can be found for 15k second hand. Yeah I don’t see a lot of coverage on woo audio’s stax amps as well. I was going to use an audio valve Solaris for the job but I was not even satisfied with its normal output.

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #33 of 3,032
I've owned or used most of the highly regarded drivers, and have recently acquired an iFi Pro iESL energiser, which I use with my Moon 430HA headphone amp (my preferred amp for HD800S). It's (much) less expensive than all the usual e-stat suspects but, to my mind, is more appealing, particularly in not affecting the character of the amplifier driving it (in my case, the Moon). It also has the advantage that it allows me to use the Moon's crossfeed circuit when I listen to my Stax phones (SR-009S). You might like to consider trying this if you have an amp that you like for dynamic phones.

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #34 of 3,032
T2 from a reputable builder will cost $12k

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #35 of 3,032
The Woo Audio energizer Fiasko seems to be an old issue, where critical safety measures were missing and the headphones were at risk.

I'd expect those to be fixed by more recent offerings like the 3ES.

Mjölnir Audio is always among the top recommendations, can't go wrong with any if those.

The new LTA is apparently also nice but not on the level of Mjolnir.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #36 of 3,032
I've owned or used most of the highly regarded drivers, and have recently acquired an iFi Pro iESL energiser, which I use with my Moon 430HA headphone amp (my preferred amp for HD800S). It's (much) less expensive than all the usual e-stat suspects but, to my mind, is more appealing, particularly in not affecting the character of the amplifier driving it (in my case, the Moon). It also has the advantage that it allows me to use the Moon's crossfeed circuit when I listen to my Stax phones (SR-009S). You might like to consider trying this if you have an amp that you like for dynamic phones.
Fantastic stuff, this might save someone’s marriage

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #37 of 3,032
How does it work - are you using the Moon as a pre? I tried doing the same with my Meier Corda Symphony and a 007T but the Corda as pre won’t send the crossfeed signal (or any other of its dsp features for that matter)

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #38 of 3,032
Just buy BHSE or Mjolnir Carbon and you will be set for a very long time. Of course, get the DIY T2 if you have the chance. Contact GeoreP or Kerry for DIY T2.

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #39 of 3,032
Already ordered a pair. Hopefully it ships as expected. Bought a t8000 but I heard some says that stax’s own amp isn’t enough for these kind of flagships?

I wouldn't suggest either of them personally. Here's a breakdown of the T8000 from a very experienced engineer, and a discussion about it. Stax's amps fall apart (not literally at least) when cranking the volume up. The Woo WES takes a way resolution, transparency, and speed in traditional Woo fashion (just a character they go for), it is so slow and sluggish. I forget if I've heard the 3ES though.

The best value for a high end electrostatic amp right now is spritzer's KGSSHV for $2,750 which can be found here along with many other options. None of Stax's amps are on its level. For top of the line I recommend the KGSSHV Carbon from there, as the BHSE is pretty old at this point. Or if you must have tubes, try to commission a Grounded Grid from a known, reliable engineer, but that might prove hard to do.

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #41 of 3,032
I see some suggest that a DIYT2 cost like $6,000 just for the parts alone. And personally that’s a hefty price tag considering a MSB amp for Stax can be found for 15k second hand. Yeah I don’t see a lot of coverage on woo audio’s stax amps as well. I was going to use an audio valve Solaris for the job but I was not even satisfied with its normal output.

I think a good condition T2 will cost approximately $20000 if you have a chance. If the parts cost $6000 I think it is better to go for the original one....

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #42 of 3,032
I mean, inflation over a like, 18 hour period wouldn't explain that. Head-Amp originally listed them at $5800, it then jumped to $6200 within less than a day.

I guess they must have just made a mistake at first, or something.

I think it is a mistake. The MSRP is ¥693000 in Japan. Which is around 6200 USD.

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #43 of 3,032
Already ordered a pair. Hopefully it ships as expected. Bought a t8000 but I heard some says that stax’s own amp isn’t enough for these kind of flagships?

It is enough to drive SR-009S, but not SR-009/007.

You also need a high-end preamp to maximize the sound performance of T8000.

I have T8000 and I've once paired it with Krell Evolution 202, which sounds fantastic. T8000 have great potential. If you use better Pre-amp and use the Bypass mode,

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #44 of 3,032
Just buy BHSE or Mjolnir Carbon and you will be set for a very long time. Of course, get the DIY T2 if you have the chance. Contact GeoreP or Kerry for DIY T2.

Agree here.

I also disagree with many when it comes to the Woo amps (excluding the reliability issues stated from long ago). I had the WES alongside the BHSE for quite some time and both are just about the same level of amp, with the BHSE being more open and transparent. And the tradeoff there is the WES has a better bass presentation. Both are close in level of performance. I considered the 3ES (and saw tons of great feedback), but ultimately, if you're going to pay that amount of cash for the elite version, it's really hard to look past a DIY T2.

But regardless, if I were starting out, I'd go with a Carbon or BHSE and explore headphones to determine if a T2 or similar level amp is worth the additional cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back