Stax SR-X9000
Sep 24, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #16 of 3,014
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #17 of 3,014
These would have to blow me away before I’d trade up from the 009S. At that price too many tempting planers would take priority on my list. Be more likely to get out of the electrostatic market completely now that alternatives have caught up sound wise.

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #18 of 3,014

Based on these pictures the solutions make sense to me, the back mesh with a gap for controlled air pressure release, the different air resistance for the front mesh, the stator design, the pads design all seem perfect, with bonuses like the detachable cable and the headband shape and adjustability etc.
Based on my limited experience with e-stats, I predict this design might sound with more body and better bass than the 009, while probably being more open and transparent than the 007. The only question is treble performance. I think this has a good chance to finally beat the SR-Omega and to play in the same league as the HE-1 (or even better, since you can change the energizer and the source, and even the cables).
The price is prohibitive, though it's possible it will rise even further: if you noticed, inflation and wealth differences are just accelerating.

Sep 24, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #19 of 3,014
Based on these pictures the solutions make sense to me, the back mesh with a gap for controlled air pressure release, the different air resistance for the front mesh, the stator design, the pads design all seem perfect, with bonuses like the detachable cable and the headband shape and adjustability etc.
Based on my limited experience with e-stats, I predict this design might sound with more body and better bass than the 009, while probably being more open and transparent than the 007. The only question is treble performance. I think this has a good chance to finally beat the SR-Omega and to play in the same league as the HE-1 (or even better, since you can change the energizer and the source, and even the cables).
The price is prohibitive, though it's possible it will rise even further: if you noticed, inflation and wealth differences are just accelerating.
Or the price
May fall! The sr009 cost 5250 at launch 10 years ago. its fallen 30% since. To adjust that price by consumer inflation in US gets you more than the price of x9000. Of course itd be more previse to adjust by japanese inflarion, which would make the new phone look more expensive indeed. But still. I think this reasoning should also put some of ours expectations of huge improvements in perspective… yes it is an expensive new flagship coming after 10years of 009 and first flagship phone release under Edifier, but it s not selling for more purchasing power than the last 009 at launch, it probably does not include anything much more expensive production wise. Of course , im still excited for hearing the results of larger stator, new bonding tech and materials.

Sep 24, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #20 of 3,014
These would have to blow me away before I’d trade up from the 009S. At that price too many tempting planers would take priority on my list. Be more likely to get out of the electrostatic market completely now that alternatives have caught up sound wise.
Which ones your heard and consider to match or exceed the 009/s? Is it gender specific in your opinion, or maybe in general? Ive no experience with planars but never heard a dynamic that could match the 009s (and even a L700) for classical

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #21 of 3,014
To my ears, planars all have had some hardness in their sound compared to the best e-stats. I didn't like any of them, not even the most expensive ones. But at least the Stealth looks interesting and deserves a thorough audition.

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #22 of 3,014
from the Stax website

display01.jpg

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #23 of 3,014
I’m so glad I sold off my BHSE, I’d be so tempted otherwise with this kind of pics :).
Comparing planars tech to this is borderline an insult imo, the mess of treble transients with these massive magnets is real and no mountain of passive treatment can fix it. If anything, fast dynamic drivers are more serious competition.

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #24 of 3,014
I’m so glad I sold off my BHSE, I’d be so tempted otherwise with this kind of pics :).
Comparing planars tech to this is borderline an insult imo, the mess of treble transients with these massive magnets is real and no mountain of passive treatment can fix it. If anything, fast dynamic drivers are more serious competition.
I find it great to have many options

Planar to Estat......its all good....I jump around...im super hyped for a new stax release

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #25 of 3,014
Hopefully I can hear them next year out of sheer curiosity.

Had the SR009S and SR007 but I listen to rock…it was just too soft. They look beautiful and hopefully sound even better.

Those are deliberately softened so to speak, the SR-009 is probably more your cup of tea. I really wonder how the SR-X9000 is tuned. I much prefer SR-009 tuning to the rest of their lineup but I'm in the minority there.

Sep 25, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #26 of 3,014
I am really worried that I want to buy the X9000. It looks so fierce!

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #27 of 3,014
Hopefully I can hear them next year out of sheer curiosity.

Those are deliberately softened so to speak, the SR-009 is probably more your cup of tea. I really wonder how the SR-X9000 is tuned. I much prefer SR-009 tuning to the rest of their lineup but I'm in the minority there.
I also prefer the SR-009S to other Stax - so there are at least two of us ...

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #29 of 3,014
Already ordered a pair. Hopefully it ships as expected. Bought a t8000 but I heard some says that stax’s own amp isn’t enough for these kind of flagships?

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #30 of 3,014
Already ordered a pair. Hopefully it ships as expected. Bought a t8000 but I heard some says that stax’s own amp isn’t enough for these kind of flagships?
I’ve been strongly considering jumping on the e-stat wave. It does appear most people suggest not using Stax energizers. Many recommend a DIY T2, but I haven’t really found out how you commission one. I also looked at the Woo Audio 3ES, given how much I love their WA33. Though, people seem to not like Woo Audio Energizers. It’s all kinda confusing :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back