Stax SR Lambda Information
Sep 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

errivera

New Head-Fier
I have been lurking around these forums for a bit and doing so has resparked an interest in headphone listening. Thanks to all for the information.

My reason for posting is this... I have a set of Stax SR Lamba headphones with the SRD-6SB adapter and extension cable in mint condition. I've had these for a long time (original owner) and have used them off and on for quite some time. I use them via a NAD 7600 receiver's headphone jack. I like the setup because of the NAD's bass and treble controls which are of the 'semi-parametric.' This allows eq'ing of the sound pretty easily. The only change I've made is replacing the rear foam for a felt pad. The foam was in bad shape a number of years ago and removing it and replacing it was straightforward and easy. Everything else is stock and mint.

Recenlty I picked up the Ultrasone HiFi 2400 and HiFi 680. I love open backed earphones and the S-Logic technology is really nice. I like the balance of the 680s (a little forward) but the 2400s have such a nice sound; just a little laid back in the midrange.

I would like to get an idea what the Stax might be worth these days since I would also like to try the Ultrasone PRO 2900 and eventually a few others. Any information/direction would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 14
Original SR-Lambda normal bias? Combined with the SRD-6/SB and assuming fully working order, around US$250-300, maybe more. (At least I got an SR-Lambda with rebuilt drivers and an SRD-7/SB for $250 shipped...were it not for that, I'd probably have made you an offer already.)

That set could easily get another Head-Fier hooked on Stax, that's for sure. You won't have any trouble selling it.

(How the heck did you use them out of the receiver's headphone jack with an SRD-6/SB, anyway? A transformer box like that needs speaker-level input. I don't think a headphone jack would output enough power.)

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 14
Correct. The Stax MUST be used of the speaker terminals to sound as they can.

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 14
My error, you are correct. I've been using the Ultrasones from the NAD's headphone jack, the Stax SRD-6 SB connects directly to the speaker outputs. Too many thoughts racing through my head as I write.

I'm pretty excited about getting back into the audio scene but it also brings back memories of spending way too much money on equipment. Not a good thing at this point in my life. I know wife will not be happy.
wink_face.gif

Comparing the output of the NADs headphone output to my recent NuForce HDP yields some interesting results but it seems that the Ultrasones play well with the NAD. Through the NuForce, the bass sounds a little excessive (not muddy or uncontrolled) but much more natural through the NAD.

Thanks for the information. It's good to know what I might expect. If I remember correctly, I think I paid upwards of $1000 for the setup at Harveys Electronics in NYC around 1979. Whew! how time flies.

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 14
Welcome to headfi errivera. Where are our manners...

Are you bored of the Stax that you are considering selling them? Just to let you know that they scale up with the power amp behind them. They are extreme good value even in current days of prolific headphones launching parties. The old Lambdas are still the best bang for the buck entry cans into stats imo.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Welcome to headfi errivera. Where are our manners...

Are you bored of the Stax that you are considering selling them? Just to let you know that they scale up with the power amp behind them. They are extreme good value even in current days of prolific headphones launching parties. The old Lambdas are still the best bang for the buck entry cans into stats imo.

Not bored, I know they sound excellent but I'm really not into really critical listening anymore. Although I do want good (excellent) sound, I just want to play some tunes and enjoy the sound without being overly analytical about what I'm hearing. Also, I haven't heard the new Stax offerings but I don't think I can get the bass output of the Ultrasones from the Stax.

Over the years I've paired the Stax with various high end amps from Audio Research, Tandberg, Krell, McIntosh, Van Alstine, etc. and one of my favorite things about the SRD 6SB is that you can tailor the sound of the phones by changing amps. Nice to be able to do that.

I listen to a lot of jazz and soul oldies and find that I am really impressed with the Ultrasone sound. They have a sense of spaciousness since the driver doesn't fire directly into the ear. Their bass output is great and the slightly recessed midrange (2400s) is great with the vocals of the oldies I listen to.

I know I'll probably regret it sometime down the road. It's not the first time I've sold equipment and I've kicked myself afterwards. There is just too much stuff laying around at the moment; space is limited. A number of years ago I sold a pair of mint Carver Amazing Platinum speakers with their Silver 9t amps that I still think about. Nice sounding speakers with ribbon drivers. There are many stories to tell here.
popcorn.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 14
I'd suggest keeping them too if you really like them, given that you may not get them back for that price due to demand and limited supply. Stax gear at that price range sells quick, and the vintage ones aren't getting any newer. (Since it's mostly the vintage ones that sell that affordably with driver units, they're a common entry-level choice for those who already have a speaker power amp lying around. I'm seeing some cheap SR-202s and SR-303s around, but those have a hidden cost in that they don't have Pro bias driver units with them.)

But I also have to acknowledge different preferences in sound. Some people just don't like the Stax sound as much, for reasons I don't really understand (unless it's bass impact; I'm fine with what the Lambdas can do there, but some people really want a head concussion).

Also keep in mind the difference between cost and value. How much do you value the Stax system? A lot of vintage Lambda fans think that even though they may only cost so much relative to newer offerings these days, they'll easily trounce a lot of newer headphones on the market even twice the price. Some of them even prefer the original SR-Lambda's "musical" sound signature to the succeeding models' more "analytical" signature (whatever those mean). Of course, most of those Lambda fans already have extensive experience with Stax equipment in general, and for those who haven't heard electrostatics before, they may not be willing to pay up as much since they're gambling on how much they might like or not like the electrostatic sound...and then some of those people get hooked when they find out they're everything they were hoping for and then some.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 14
Unless strapped for cash so you need to sell them, keeping a pair of Lambdas is so much fun when you "upgrade" in price and compare performance
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Just to make sure - have you sat down and had a serious listen with the Stax recently? Vintage Lambdas are, IMO, among the best headphones available <$500 and maybe even more. If it were me, I'd definitely keep them around unless you decide the sound signature really doesn't suit you.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 14
Yup, yup, yup... spend quite a few hours listening to the old Stax setup yesterday. Played everything from classical to jazz and rock. Thanks to everyone's suggestions. I've decided to keep the Stax headphones. They really do sound great.

Had my buddy over for a while and when I told him I might be selling them he made an offer on the spot. Glad I took the time to reevaluate.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back