Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #481 of 1,163
Mids are my problem just a bit. I have a feeling that Audeze offered a bit more refined and structured mids. More rich. (I may be wrong, this may be also due to Audeze's warmness. I need some more time to come to final conclusion). But this was something I valued LCD-X the most and it's missing here a tiny bit.

It's likely you interpret a sucked out upper midrange (common among Audeze and Hifiman headphones) as "rich." Enhanced "thickness" in the lower mids is also described as rich. Both of these things are considered colorations. Not to say that your preference is wrong, but let's be very clear--what people describe as "rich" most of the time is just coloration, not fidelity. You mentioned the HD600, which I also own. To me, it has one of the most accurate tonality of any headphones I've ever heard. I prefer it to Hifiman's HE-560. How would you compare the L300 to the HD600?

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #482 of 1,163
It's likely you interpret a sucked out upper midrange (common among Audeze and Hifiman headphones) as "rich." Enhanced "thickness" in the lower mids is also described as rich. Both of these things are considered colorations. Not to say that your preference is wrong, but let's be very clear--what people describe as "rich" most of the time is just coloration, not fidelity. You mentioned the HD600, which I also own. To me, it has one of the most accurate tonality of any headphones I've ever heard. I prefer it to Hifiman's HE-560. How would you compare the L300 to the HD600?
i read multiple post says that L300 is a direct upgrade to HD600, search reddit !
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...r_a_long_journey_from_japan_the_stax_srs3100/

Jan 17, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #484 of 1,163
I actually contend that Stax need a decent amount of brain burn-in. For myself, and for whatever reason, it seemed to take 2 weeks. My enthusiasm for impressions spanning a few hours or a few days of listening is thus tempered.

I do encourage initial (comparative) impressions, however, I suggest taking notes and re-visiting those impressions after a more extensive (and exclusive) time with your Stax. I think you'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #486 of 1,163
How would you compare the L300 to the HD600?

I was impressed by HD600 sound signature. Balance is perfect there. I loved HD600 (sold them but now I regret). First impression - L300 are brighter but then you realize that it's actually the air which L300 is able to reproduce. I guess now HD600 would sound a bit veiled to me with smaller sound stage and worse dynamics. HD600 are great but L300 are better in every aspect (maybe except comfort).

Speaking about dynamics, I guess LCD-X offered a bit more of it than Stax (which would be also nice to have)

I would never say I can hear the difference between cans around $1000. And that's amazing how different they are.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #487 of 1,163
I do encourage initial (comparative) impressions, however, I suggest taking notes and re-visiting those impressions after a more extensive (and exclusive) time with your Stax. I think you'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

Sure, I have notice it with my HD600 before. I needed time to fully appreciate. I'm sure it'll be the same here.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #488 of 1,163
I actually contend that Stax need a decent amount of brain burn-in.

Actually, the STAX SR-207 was the first headphone that instantly sounded "right" to me; similar enough to the way real instruments sound that I had no major complaints. And I am very picky, since I've been a musician since the early '90s. My general reaction to non-electrostatic headphones (even the best ones) is that they may sound good, but in the end, they sound totally fake to me and not transparent at all. I guess for those who don't have a lot of experience listening to real instruments and are more used to the presentation that typical headphones give them, they could need more time to get used to the fidelity of electrostats.

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #489 of 1,163
That's an interesting input, Music Alchemist. I'm starting to enjoy my L300 even more (and more) every day! I've come across to Tyll's impression on L300. He says: "Presence region is nicely balanced, and treble tonality seems good, but for a slightly hot mid-treble and a somewhat more troublesome tendency to be grainy in that area" (full article here). I'm now listening to "Dialogues With Double Bass" Jeremy McCoy and I find L300 truly awesome! I haven't experience any grain from Stax. Rich, open and fast! Have you?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #491 of 1,163
Limited version of L300 - SR-L300Limited: costs same as L500 , but has L700 driver (which shares technology from 009). Only 800 pieces will be made.

6ba18cbeebe7747cd2347976bc2d3706.jpg

https://stax.theshop.jp/items/9564837
Just ordered this, will post impressions once it comes..the wait will hurt

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #492 of 1,163
If anyone else has a different experience than this let me know, but I haven’t heard anything else that sounded close to a electrostatic.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #493 of 1,163
Step out of stats threads and post this in other areas and tons of people who prefer other types of headphones will respond. Utopia users are particularly militant these days.

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #494 of 1,163
I haven't experience any grain from Stax. Rich, open and fast! Have you?

He may have been referring to the peaks around 7-10 kHz.

Running frequency sweeps with all three Lambdas I had, this was the area where it got the peakiest, so to speak.

The overall frequency response is so linear that this isn't an issue for me. (And it's easy to fix with EQ.) If the peaks were at 3-6 kHz (which is common with other tech), it would be a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back