Stax SR-507 with SRM323A
Dec 31, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #17 of 21
Nice! Congrats on the new headphones and keep the impressions coming. You got me with the 128kB/s bit and the Mekon reference. As a long-time fan of the band (having even been kicked out of their green room by Sally Timms on the Rock 'N' Roll tour), I am filled with mild self-loathing for never knowing that they were named after a super-intelligent comic book character from Venus.

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #19 of 21
What should you compare in the review, you ask?

For music, I noticed a startling difference between my modified SR-Lambda and my SR-202. The former brings the vocals out, loud and clear; the latter can let the vocals fall back and possibly get somewhat lost in the music without some EQ boost around the 1 KHz range. I think I like my vocals prominent after this revelation.

Also, there was some sort of roughness with the SR-202 that I never perceived with the SR-Lambda.

In other words, does the SR-507 have either of those shortcomings?

Comfort is another big one. I'm starting to prefer the vintage headband/arc design for its lower clamping force, and the Nova/numerical arc definitely adds some clamp, but not too much. The SR-507's redesigned headband allegedly adds even more, and I don't think I'd like that.

Finally, I want to know if the imaging/positioning gets even better, though I doubt you're into games to the extent that I am.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 21
I wouldn't call it shortcoming as such, but the SR-507 along with the X07 line is less forward than the older Lamdas and the SR-507 is noticeable more bassy then the older Lamdas. That does make a more mellow and warm sounding headphone than the brighter 404 series.

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
What should you compare in the review, you ask?

For music, I noticed a startling difference between my modified SR-Lambda and my SR-202. The former brings the vocals out, loud and clear; the latter can let the vocals fall back and possibly get somewhat lost in the music without some EQ boost around the 1 KHz range. I think I like my vocals prominent after this revelation.

Also, there was some sort of roughness with the SR-202 that I never perceived with the SR-Lambda.

In other words, does the SR-507 have either of those shortcomings?

Comfort is another big one. I'm starting to prefer the vintage headband/arc design for its lower clamping force, and the Nova/numerical arc definitely adds some clamp, but not too much. The SR-507's redesigned headband allegedly adds even more, and I don't think I'd like that.

Finally, I want to know if the imaging/positioning gets even better, though I doubt you're into games to the extent that I am.

The older Lambda/Sigma arc assembly, despite appearing more fragile, has 2 advantages. 
1. The arc assembly is manufactured as one piece, rather than being two pieces "welded" together per the Lambda Nova Signature. I have had 3 arc assemblies crack in a perfectly straight line at the dead top centre point on the Lambda Nova Signature (where it is welded, I presume). Yes, I have a boof head. Not one Sigma/Lambda arc assembly has given me problems.
2. The lower lateral pressure of the Sigma/Lambda arc assembly allows longer listening sessions, although the LNS isn't particularly uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back