Stax SR-303/SR-404 "defects" - a summary?
Aug 21, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dry and uninvolving. Mids sometimes sound distant. Kickbass abilities below midfi level. Ridiculous looks.
Otherwise, great piece of gear.

Haven't heard the SR-404, yet, but the SR-303 and the Lambda Sig share the same basic sound signature that I perceive as being...

- involving (in comparison K701, HD600 and DT880 make me feel bored and sleepy)
- great mids (female voices sound so real)
- very deep bass - but admittedly: limited impact
- air, detail and texture like no other.

Actually the looks is really great (compared to the Sigmas
wink.gif
)

Cheers,
chi2

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #32 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As with all stats, it has a thinness to the sound.

In all the setups I've tried (SRM-T1S, SRM-717, KGSS with sources ranging from decent to very good), the Omega II sounded nowhere near thin. I could understand some people describing them as a little bit too thick, but definitely not thin.

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #33 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Bass impact" - it can be a very forward, close-to-ear bass presentation. If you see someone's head exploding, he probably has headphones with the bass impact.

Es have lots of bass, but nothing is going to explode.

Ash

I've never heard this with any headphone, even bloated bass ones like the DT770, so it's probably that I listen at too low a level to hear it. At a recent meet, 4 people commented on how low I listen and I turned it down every time I put on a pair of headphones.

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #36 of 89
Quote:

Never heard anything resembling thinness on either my micro seiki or my SR-Lambda. Both in fact sound fuller and warmer than my K701. As a matter of fact the Micro Seiki has some of the deepest bass extensions I have ever heard, sometimes makes me check I didn't leave my speakers on.

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #37 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. They aren't the only brand with bad nomenclature, especially if you include vintage, which every one does for Stax. There have been many threads asking what the difference is between the many versions of the K240 for instance. AT is pretty bad too except that you can tell if the cup is wood if the name has a W, or leather if the cup has an L.

2. I'll give you that the Lambdas and Sigmas aren't everyone's cup of tea, although I don't mind the look. But then I use floats at work so I'm biased. Other than Lambdas and Sigmas, I doubt too many people would object to the looks.

3. It's easy if your cheap like me, what ever you can get cheap.
biggrin.gif
which means vintage normal bias, or SR-3 clones.

4. I have that problem with most headphones and I don't have large ears. Of the headphones I own, the only ones my ears don't rub against are the DT880 and HD580.

5. This must be a problem with the Lambdas because it's not with my Gammas.

To respond:

1) Totally true. It doesn't do anything to make it less annoying to a noob like myself, though, who is trying to decipher energizer numbers. For goodness sakes, the heapdhones are literally Greek to me.

2) My wife laughed at me.

3) <--- cheap also. I definitely like how much performance you get out of old models.

4) These are the only ones my ears touch. Hasn't been a big problem in long listening sessions, but it's there for me.

5) It could well be a problem with my hair. Nonetheless, when I think "problem with Stax" getting hair pulled out certainly sticks out in my mind.

I remembered one more problem:

1) Their very design causes them to accumulate dust if not stored properly (i.e. anything but open air)

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #39 of 89
Stat's can sound thin and nasty but it is almost always a problem with the source or amp that causes it. Since we are throwing out blanket statements, how about this one? "Dynamics suck and are way too expensive for what you get!!"
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Their very design causes them to accumulate dust if not stored properly (i.e. anything but open air)

True but there is really no need to be paranoid about this. If the dust covers are intact then they can suffer through years of abuse. I've had sets here so filthy that it took the better part of a day to fully scrub them down yet the drivers were in perfect condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ear rubbing foam... pull it out. Much better comfort wise. I'm not a fan of the 404 or 303, I find them treble spiky, too wispy and unfocused. I like the bass depth and speed/detail though. I prefer the older models.

Have you spent any time with the LNC I sent you? The drivers are nearly identical to the current SR-303 but the sound sure isn't...

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #40 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you spent any time with the LNC I sent you? The drivers are nearly identical to the current SR-303 but the sound sure isn't...

What is this LNC you are talking about?

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #41 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is this LNC you are talking about?

Probably Lambda Nova Classic.
One of the latest Lambda's from old Stax...

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #42 of 89
Quote:

Hmm, not really. I just plugged them in to make sure they survived the soggy trip over. I'll have to compare to the Lambdas when time allows before I do the dirty on them.
icon10.gif

Oh, the ECR400 drivers arrived safe and sound, thanks very much!

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #43 of 89
Quote:

as far as generalizations go, i would agree.

broadly speaking, a certain thinness of sound and unmusicality has been my experience when listening to the lower end stax models (usually paired with accompanying stax amp). the O2 does not fall into this category though.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #44 of 89
Quote:

True but there is really no need to be paranoid about this. If the dust covers are intact then they can suffer through years of abuse. I've had sets here so filthy that it took the better part of a day to fully scrub them down yet the drivers were in perfect condition.

Good to know. I'm not really anal about my gear anyways, but I like to know that I'm not actively damaging it.

Since we're here in an active Stax thread, I'll pose an OT question.

Are there significant differences between Stax amps, in your opinion? I'm using my normal bias set with an energizer into an amp, and would like to know if I would yield better sound with a dedicated Stax amp.

If so, I can buy a dual bias amp, and thus effortlessly slide upgrade cans into my system under my wife's nose. Goodness knows lambdas all look pretty much the same.

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #45 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, not really. I just plugged them in to make sure they survived the soggy trip over. I'll have to compare to the Lambdas when time allows before I do the dirty on them.
icon10.gif

Oh, the ECR400 drivers arrived safe and sound, thanks very much!

They are very nice headphones and a stark contrast to the SR-303/404.

Great to hear that the drivers arrived safe and sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there significant differences between Stax amps, in your opinion? I'm using my normal bias set with an energizer into an amp, and would like to know if I would yield better sound with a dedicated Stax amp.

If so, I can buy a dual bias amp, and thus effortlessly slide upgrade cans into my system under my wife's nose. Goodness knows lambdas all look pretty much the same.

The sound is certainly different with the various amps. Due to their nature a transformer box will give you plenty of slam and punch compared to the amps but they lack the finesse and low level detail of a good amp like the T1 or SRM-1 Mk2. I do prefer to use the Lambdas with a tube amp and the T1 is my favorite with enough power on tap and the right mix of neutrality and warmth (with the right tubes). You can certainly get a better amp but it will be more expensive.

When you get to the Blue Hawaii level then you both the slam and finesse at the same time yet even more of both so why not just jump straight up there...
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back