Stax SR-303/SR-404 "defects" - a summary?
Aug 21, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #17 of 89
Gradofan2: I have seen some threads here and read the content of your links a time ago, but thanks for placing them here, it can certainly help someone
smily_headphones1.gif

Majkel: SR-303 and SR-404 share basically everything but the cable, which is of the same design as in O2. And, as you presumably know, SR-202 has a different transducer. It may clarify some differences and similarities.

Ash

A link:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...parison-81063/

It contains some more comparisons between electrostatics and dynamics, and some flaming
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #18 of 89
Honestly, as a raw Stax newbie, I have some complaints.

1) The history and nomenclature is staggering. simply "jumping in" is very difficult, since you need to juggle bias, energisers, and numerous different models.

2) They look just absolutely ridiculous.

3) Love of past models makes it difficult to decide what to buy/where to start.

4) Folks with big ears can rub against the inner foam, or when that's worn away they can rub against the grille covering the driver.

5) Adjusting the leather headstrap portion while on your head will, 4 times out of 5, remove hair down to the root.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 89
Well, I'll try to comment about their basic system: SR2S050 system. I run them stock form connected to a very modest stock Zero DAC out of my laptop. Not the best setup but possibly one of the cheapest ways you can do to setup a Lambda
floatsmile.png

My nitpicks: bass doesn't sound like anything I am used too. I still can't appreciate it, it's detailed but sound kind off one note to me. Doesn't rumble like a Denon, not super tight like ER4S nor is it punchy like a Grado. They don't do well if bass is the foundation of the music and I feel that they don't have much groovability factor that makes your toes tap. Possibly bad choice for trance or electronica. I'll say the highs doesn't extend to the highest highs, but I never feel it lacking as in the case with HD650. They don't have that one magical quality in the frequency range that is favored over the others like DT880'03 (wow the trebles are super clear) or that of HD650 (nice bass and mids) or when I first listened to Denon bass.

I love them because some of things they do well just impress me. Super airy sound with nice natural vertical and horizontal soundstage, speed that is unique to Stax, their ability to 'disappear' and hard to pinpoint where the sound is coming from, and effortless detail that doesn't make you feel that you are dissecting the music (as sometimes the case with ER4S), and a coherent sound from low to highs (no particular suckout or fordwardness).

Sure, I admit I might be having a case of new toy syndrome as this is the first time I own a Stax and I can't say for sure if I can live with their flaws in the long term.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #21 of 89
I should note that, unlike many posters here, the bass is one of my favorite parts. I've been listening to Orchestra Baobab's new cd a lot the past week, and the Stax (lambda normal bias) grabs that bass beautifully.

As a bass player myself, I like the bass on the lambda as much as almost anything I've heard. It's not as sweet as my Grado, or nearly as impactful as my K81DJ, but I love it all the same. It sounds very ... pressurised.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #22 of 89
Overall there is only one serious flaw with the mentioned headphones. The upper midrange / lower treble has a massive peak. This peak can cause them to sound overly analytical , the timbre won't be as accurate as desired, and things can sound dry and very offensive.

Ugh, that's it for the weaknesses. Lets not start on the strengths, it will be a long discussion...

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #23 of 89
Sherwood,

Since you have a Lambda and K701, I think you can give a good comparison of a higher end dynamic to a stat.

As to your 5 points

1. They aren't the only brand with bad nomenclature, especially if you include vintage, which every one does for Stax. There have been many threads asking what the difference is between the many versions of the K240 for instance. AT is pretty bad too except that you can tell if the cup is wood if the name has a W, or leather if the cup has an L.

2. I'll give you that the Lambdas and Sigmas aren't everyone's cup of tea, although I don't mind the look. But then I use floats at work so I'm biased. Other than Lambdas and Sigmas, I doubt too many people would object to the looks.

3. It's easy if your cheap like me, what ever you can get cheap.
biggrin.gif
which means vintage normal bias, or SR-3 clones.

4. I have that problem with most headphones and I don't have large ears. Of the headphones I own, the only ones my ears don't rub against are the DT880 and HD580.

5. This must be a problem with the Lambdas because it's not with my Gammas.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should note that, unlike many posters here, the bass is one of my favorite parts. I've been listening to Orchestra Baobab's new cd a lot the past week, and the Stax (lambda normal bias) grabs that bass beautifully.

As a bass player myself, I like the bass on the lambda as much as almost anything I've heard. It's not as sweet as my Grado, or nearly as impactful as my K81DJ, but I love it all the same. It sounds very ... pressurised.

Thanks for being clear about that - we need more people to step it up. Bass on Stax, especially the modern bunch tends to be the most accurate of all the headphones on the market. The resolution and ability to follow every etch of the bass string (or drum) makes for excellent reproduction of the real experience.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #25 of 89
As with all stats, it has a thinness to the sound.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #27 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As with all stats, it has a thinness to the sound.

BS, not all stats.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #28 of 89
I love the bass in my Gammas. The Gammas and Yamaha HP-1 are the only headphones that I own that can go down to 30Hz. A few other of my headphones produce a rumble at 30Hz.

I'm not sure what people mean by bass impact since I've never heard any thing that I'd call that except for live shows where you feel the bass. I doubt that any headphone can produce that. I listen at very low levels so maybe that's part of why I haven't heard bass impact.

Edit: I can't keep up with this thread. As I compose a response, 3 more people respond
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #30 of 89
Its centered around 7-8 khz and you might have to reduce it as much as 10 dB. That's as much as I can tell you...foobar2000 EQ does not have enough bands to be accurate with it, I use it sometimes (when I used ATH-ESW9, I ended up employing it for a while) - and it just does not provide a good permanent solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back