Stax SR-303/SR-404 "defects" - a summary?
Sep 8, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #76 of 89
Mmmm, I own a pair of SR-303 that I have been able to drive with SRM-313 and all kind of full size amp through the Illusion adapter (Nad325BEE, Linn Kairn + LK280, Sphinx Project Ten and finally Manley Stingray).

While all of the full size amp + Illusion set up were better than the SRM-313 alone, I have to say that the SR-303 sound did not change dramatically into a different headphones, despite the totally different sound signatures of the amp used.

Major flaws for me are in order of importance:

-lack of bass tactil impact. You can perfectly ear the bass line (and extension is trully impressive, down to 20Hz with lots of energy, depending on what your source an amp are able to deliver) but you will be unable to actually feel it (like if no air was moved). This makes all pieces of music you are listening sounding airy (lacking somehow weight in the music) and clearer than the reality and gives the “impression” to emphasize highs, though I believe this is only an impression, as highs are supremely natural and defined, with excellent extension and no sign of harshness.
frown.gif

-Lack of focus: the soundstage is very big but compared to the HD650, instrument are more difficult to precisely spot while playing the recording.
redface.gif

If you can live with that, then they are just impressive in all other aspects to my ears.

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the Omega 2 - is that the 007 MKII?

"Omega 2" are used as a nick name for the SR-007's. All four (SR-007, SR-007BL, SR-007a and SR-007MK2) of them afaik

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

How do you fix that?

Frequency response issues are fixed two ways generally - equalize or build a better chassis. I brought up Stax 4070 because it is basically a SR-404 with a fixed chassis (and closed while at it). The driver is the same, but the headphone has a fairly flat response, and no impact or thinness issues that people complain about with Stax. The soundstage also has great focus and precision.
Quote:

What is the Omega 2 - is that the 007 MKII?

krmathis answered the questoin, but I was specifically referring to SR-007, not the mkII.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my (limited, and at a meet) listening, I preferred the Lambda Signature to the 007II out of an ES1. I figured it was just my ears, the room, my lunch, whatever.

I've no desire to get in the middle of what appears to be an ongoing Mikhail/Gilmore crossfire, but my very limited experience seemed to undersell the SRM-007II, leaving me wondering for months why it is held up as such a paragon of design when 20-year-old phones best it.

Other opinions, some similar to my own, can readily be had in the Denver mini-meet impressions thread (hosted by none other than Mikhail).

This type of observation had me worried about the SR007 and thus I stated a thread to hash this issue out.

htthttp://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11...uy-348629/p://

After hearing about some mods by Sprtizer that supposedly make the 007A sound like the original 007, I finally went with the newer model and honestly it is a great phone and I am not sure that it needs modifying.

I just can't imagine anyone not hearing it as a significant advance on the lambda line. I am mostly using the Stax 717 amp which is widely viewed as better than its replacement the 727II, but the virtues of the 007A are still quite evident with much poorer amps such as my old SRM3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm, I own a pair of SR-303 that I have been able to drive with SRM-313 and all kind of full size amp through the Illusion adapter (Nad325BEE, Linn Kairn + LK280, Sphinx Project Ten and finally Manley Stingray).

While all of the full size amp + Illusion set up were better than the SRM-313 alone, I have to say that the SR-303 sound did not change dramatically into a different headphones, despite the totally different sound signatures of the amp used.

Major flaws for me are in order of importance:

-lack of bass tactil impact. You can perfectly ear the bass line (and extension is trully impressive, down to 20Hz with lots of energy, depending on what your source an amp are able to deliver) but you will be unable to actually feel it (like if no air was moved). This makes all pieces of music you are listening sounding airy (lacking somehow weight in the music) and clearer than the reality and gives the “impression” to emphasize highs, though I believe this is only an impression, as highs are supremely natural and defined, with excellent extension and no sign of harshness.
frown.gif

-Lack of focus: the soundstage is very big but compared to the HD650, instrument are more difficult to precisely spot while playing the recording.
redface.gif

If you can live with that, then they are just impressive in all other aspects to my ears.

The lack of bass impact, which many comment on is to my mind, probably less a lack of bass than of mid-bass-to-midfrequency impact. Both my lambdas, the Nova and the 404 have a real kick at the bottom of the frequency range. However in a direct comparison between the Koss 950 and the 404 using Stax amps, the 950, has a better ability to rock and it lacks the extreme bottom end of the 404.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/kos...-404-a-257571/

Even the SR007A, which I recently got, is better in this respect in spite of being a less efficient phone, and even though some (but not me) think it lacks the deepest bass.

Can't agree about the lack of precision of localization. Frankly that is one of the strengths of this line of phones in my experience. I would have though that it is hard to have a big soundstage which is not also precise.

However one should always be aware that the sound of this type of phones is very dependant on source and amplification and could be different in a different set-up.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #80 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frequency response issues are fixed two ways generally - equalize or build a better chassis. I brought up Stax 4070 because it is basically a SR-404 with a fixed chassis (and closed while at it). The driver is the same, but the headphone has a fairly flat response, and no impact or thinness issues that people complain about with Stax. The soundstage also has great focus and precision.

krmathis answered the questoin, but I was specifically referring to SR-007, not the mkII.

Does this mean you prefer the sound of the older SR-007 to the newer SR-007 MKII? If so, is that the preponderance of opinion?

I see AudioCubes II offers both.

I'm also guessing you think that except for the 4070, you think a person is best to just opt for the SR-007, or one of its variants, and not to bother with the 404, or 303?

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #82 of 89
I look forward to spending some quality time with the O2s at some point and hearing what most others seem to be hearing.

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #83 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned both SR-404 and Omega 2 (SR-007 MK I). The Omega 2 is far superior in everything. The SR-404 is a thin sounding headphone with emphasis on the upper midrange.

I am 100% with Hirsch that the SR-404 put me off electrostats for a while as well.

So... if you prefer the Omega 2, why do you have the ESP/950? I assume you're driving it out of your Stax amp.

Sep 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #84 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edstrelow
The lack of bass impact, which many comment on is to my mind, probably less a lack of bass than of mid-bass-to-midfrequency impact. Both my lambdas, the Nova and the 404 have a real kick at the bottom of the frequency range.

Just to clarify, I am not saying the Lambda series are missing bass impact, but bass tactil impact, which is a major difference. Yes my SR-303 has speed and impact in the extreme lower end, with lots of control (trully impressive). Yes it can rock. But by no way this bass impact is moving air around your ear, which result in a sensation of a "dry" bass that you can perfectly ear, but not feel with your earbones. This is obvious when you compare with the bass of HD650. Once you are used to this sound, it can get very addicitive though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edstrelow
Can't agree about the lack of precision of localization. Frankly that is one of the strengths of this line of phones in my experience. I would have though that it is hard to have a big soundstage which is not also precise.

I might have been a little tough on this one. Soundstage is really huge, and when I close my eyes, I find different instruments are very easy to localize, but the source is somehow diffuse, and not precisely spot or fixed, compared to a live experience. I don’t know if others agree with me here, but this is how I feel when listening to my SR-303.

Regards,

Sep 9, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #85 of 89
Quote:

I have owned both SR-404 and Omega 2 (SR-007 MK I). The Omega 2 is far superior in everything. The SR-404 is a thin sounding headphone with emphasis on the upper midrange.

I am 100% with Hirsch that the SR-404 put me off electrostats for a while as well.

This.

I had the 404, O2 Mk2, and now O2 Mk1, and the Mk1 is the strongest headphone out of them by far. The 404 has an upper midrange emphasis that ruins its tone, and is lacking tactile impact. The Mk2 is a fuller-sounding headphone with better detail and soundstaging capabilities, but it's missing deep bass and also has an emphasized upper midrange, though not to the same extent as the 404. The Mk1 is linear, full, detailed, and impactful as any dynamic, but with resolution and soundstaging capabilities that I haven't heard from any dynamic with the possible exception of the Qualia 010. But, the Qualia can't match the Mk1's natural tone.

I prefer the 003 over the 404 by a not-insignificant margin in most systems.

Still, the 404 can improve and scale pretty well, and from an aftermarket amp it can sound very Grado-like and really quite good. But, it needs you to system-match it properly.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #87 of 89
Quote:

Why wouldn't I have an ESP/950, they're actually good headphones
rolleyes.gif

Well... if you don't know... how would I know?

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass on Stax, especially the modern bunch tends to be the most accurate of all the headphones on the market. The resolution and ability to follow every etch of the bass string (or drum) makes for excellent reproduction of the real experience.

Hi, some time ago you have recommended me to try baby stax (SR-001). I did it, and I must thank you for that - it opened my eyes (actually ears). So thank you, first of all - it was my most exiting sonic experience!

Before this happen, I had a plan to upgrade my dynamic setup (K701 + Zero DAC/Amp) to something like WOOAUDIO 6, - now it seems absolutely pointless. I really liked K701 "naturalism" of sound signature, and wide soundstage, but after several minutes listening to Stax it became clear that no amp can make K701 any competitive to even lowest end, portable Stax model.

And yes, Stax bass is unbelievable: so fast and so "easy". Actually what many mentioned as "bass lacking impact" is exactly the natural sounding bass, IMO. Dynamic phone simply KNOCK the bass to your head with force, while Stax just playing music. I noticed that I got used to that (dynamic) bass presentation.

So the next step for me will be naturally big Stax brothers: 303 or 404. I just don't know which of them to choose... do they share some qualities with Sr-001? What you would recommend regardless price?

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #89 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This.

I prefer the 003 over the 404 by a not-insignificant margin in most systems.

Still, the 404 can improve and scale pretty well, and from an aftermarket amp it can sound very Grado-like and really quite good. But, it needs you to system-match it properly.

I think the 003 is a good phone and quite euphonic (i.e. good sounding but not necessarily accurate) with a wide range of material, but not as good as the 404 . Its top end is too recessed and while it is not totally bass-shy it lacks a real bottom. The 404 has its kick at the bottom and a full sonic spectrum. I find the 404 a very good phone for symphonic music and some jazz, somewhat less pleasing with vocal and rock music because of the prominent upper mid range.

As regards scaling up the 404, it also benefits from some tweaks. I found that Silclear, silver-based contact enhancer got rid of much harshness and just generally pulled up the sound quality. And it likes silver IC's.

These days I am spending most time with a new, untweaked 007A but hope to do some serious comparisons with the 404 and Sigma/404 in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back