STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Feb 4, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #991 of 1,367
Try the Stax thread on Headcase...most of the builders contribute there but be warned....High Arrogance level!

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #992 of 1,367
Try the Stax thread on Headcase...most of the builders contribute there but be warned....High Arrogance level!
Thanks, I'll do that. But it's daunting: over a thousand pages, I think!

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #993 of 1,367
No pain, no gain!

Feb 5, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #994 of 1,367
I have an eq question I was hoping members of this community might help me answer.

I got my 009S about 2 months ago. It's been love every since! Though I have no complaints about the bass quantity and extension - using a testing CD I can easily hear down to 20 hz - I sometimes wonder if it could be punchier. I attribute this anxiety to spending too much time on headfi!

Yesterday I tried using some eq'ing in the bass to see how I liked the change. I'm a complete novice when it comes to equalization. So I added 5db as a "lower shelf" at 75 hz.

Though the eq'ing brought the bass forward, I also found it fatiguing. Was I doing it the wrong way?

My guess is that over the long run I'll run the Stax WITHOUT eq. Nevertheless, I would like to play around with eq just to see what kind of impact it has. Any suggestions for good settings, etc would be appreciated.
the "punchiness" is due to 30cycle area strength. most equilizers cant increase this area with any decent result. Best results can often be achieved with reducing the higher frequencies and increasing the volume. I find that I never found an equilizer that didn't ruin the music (because of the extra layer of processing ?) I rolled tubes on my amp to get the balance I wanted but you may find different cables or amps do it for you--I also keep a 007 headphone to switch to when I really want it warmer
jrf

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #995 of 1,367
Quick update: I ended up buying a used mjolnir kgsshv carbon from a headfier. Fingers crossed, it will arrive next week.

This was my thinking in getting the carbon instead of a different amp in the same price range: after doing a bit of research, i discounted tubes (like the bhse - the diy T2 is out of my price range) because of the maintenance involved. Moreover, I've never found the treble on the 009S to be too bright, nor the mid-range not "liquid" enough. So the value added of a tube (like the bhse) was not compelling enough FOR ME.

What convinced me to replace my stax srm-50 was my itch to get a bit more bass impact on my 009S. So a SS amp made sense to me.

I exchanged a couple of emails with Birgir (at mjolnir) to learn more about amps in the kgss line. He was a pleasure to discuss these things with! He pointed me towards the kgss "klassic" or the carbon. He discounted the kgsshv ( non-carbon version) as (he felt) the carbon version was an improvement and evolution of the base kgsshv. Though, of course, the carbon is double the price of the kgsshv. Given diminishing returns, others could quite reasonablly choose to go with the non-carbon kgsshv: bang for the buck is higher for the kgsshv than the carbon.

Between the klassic and carbon, Birgir described the klassic as being "slightly warmer", which was not a priority for me. Plus, I prefer the larger chassis of the carbon. So I went with the carbon.

What about the "carbon cc", you might ask. Though Birgir did not say this, I've heard from others that the CC's main improvement is the internal silver wiring. What I heard was that the benefit of the silver is marginal. In addition, don't headfiers generally believe that silver brightens the sound? I've no need for that. To me, the 009S is neither too bright nor too warm: it's right in the Goldilocks zone (for me).

Finally, please pm me if you want to discuss this with me. I imagine there are headfiers like me who are a bit overwhelmed by the number of high-end, non-stax energizers out there.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #996 of 1,367
I went through the same exercise you did a little over a year ago. Numerous email conversations with Birgir until I settled on a standard Carbon. You will not be disappointed - get ready to fasten your seatbelt.

PS just like you I also found Birgit a pleasure to deal with

Mar 15, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #997 of 1,367
Could use a few opinions from people that have heard both.. reading this thread it's really hard to get an idea of the differences between the 009 and 009s.. read one post that said the vocals are thinner on the 009s and another that said vice versa. I've been in this hobby a long time, so I do get it. lol.. it's normal and going to happen.

You can see my sig below, but I have the BHSE and* Woo Audio WES (which btw, they are both top of the line, just different.. I now don't know if I can give up either lol). I have the HE60, MK1 is coming tuesday, and I have the chance to purchase either the 009 or 009s in the next 24hrs. I really don't want to have to buy both to decide, as I may end up in the same situation as with the WES/BHawaii lol.

For people that have heard both, which have you preferred and with what music?

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #998 of 1,367
Could use a few opinions from people that have heard both.. reading this thread it's really hard to get an idea of the differences between the 009 and 009s.. read one post that said the vocals are thinner on the 009s and another that said vice versa. I've been in this hobby a long time, so I do get it. lol.. it's normal and going to happen.

You can see my sig below, but I have the BHSE and* Woo Audio WES (which btw, they are both top of the line, just different.. I now don't know if I can give up either lol). I have the HE60, MK1 is coming tuesday, and I have the chance to purchase either the 009 or 009s in the next 24hrs. I really don't want to have to buy both to decide, as I may end up in the same situation as with the WES/BHawaii lol.

Hey there,

STAX009S is clear upgrade. I have both and haven't listened to the 009 since :frowning2: I do plan on taking out the 009 just to listen to them at times. I have WES with Pavane + Sophia Electric tube upgrades.

009 sounds incredible....until you listen to 009S :)

I'm in NE PA if you want a listen.

Andre

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #999 of 1,367
Hey there,

STAX009S is clear upgrade. I have both and haven't listened to the 009 since :frowning2: I do plan on taking out the 009 just to listen to them at times. I have WES with Pavane + Sophia Electric tube upgrades.

I'm in NE PA if you want a listen.

Andre

Thank you! That's really helpful to hear.. especially since you have the Woo. Are there any clear differences, in terms of tonality, bass or soundstage?

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #1,000 of 1,367

I also have BHSE and booth SR009 and SR009s, and... I have not listened to the SR009 since I have the SR009s....

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,001 of 1,367
(...)
(...)

Andre

To marry a question I posed on another thread here on head-fi and a comment here, regarding if the 009S is an upgrade over the 009 is, and I know the 009S is so new there may not be data, but has anyone, on the 009S, suffered a permanent channel imbalance that has required repair? For the uninitiated, this is when one channel is quieter than the other despite all efforts to "reset" one's system.

I ask this as someone who is faced with an option to replace the drivers (at some unknown cost, because Woo won't tell me anything other than it's "costly") or reapply what I assume is a potential multi-thousand dollar repair towards a pair of 009S, or buy a different manufacturer's electrostats.

If, in the future, the 009S does not face what seems to be a common occurrence in the 61 page head-fi thread linked above, I would argue that alone would suffice to make the 009S the superior headphone between the 009 and 009S.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #1,002 of 1,367
I would say that most of the time channel imbalances are the result of cables being damaged at the housing due to storages or repeating numerous times of bending and stretching, or dirt and dust getting into the headphones. Those 2 instances can all be negated with
A/ storing the headphones correctly
B/ storing the headphones correctly and also dust proof it correctly
Another instances which are very rare occurrence is that the headphones are exposed 1 side to strong UV light over a period , which damages the coating of that side. I read about it from KG himself. We are recommended to store it in a dust proof, dry environment and away from UV light
I have never had any issues with either 009 or 009S

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #1,003 of 1,367
Well, the first instinct the manufacturer, a reseller, or a fellow hobbyist is to assume that the person experiencing problems has done something negligent to cause the issue, however, I can assure you that this is not the case.

I traded some emails with @spritzer about this issue, who made my energizer, and he said "This seems to be the curse of the 009’s due to the new diaphragm material," so I take his expertise to heart.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #1,004 of 1,367
A and B, I would say that is probably “a shot with luck” as there are plenty of 009 that remains reliable over the years. However, with all that said, I would have to agree with your assessment about the reliability and the performances “If” the 009S qualifies as you mentioned.

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,005 of 1,367
BTW, the UV thing is new to me. I don't have this issue because where the headphones are used and stored doesn't have a window nearby, however, I do have the CPC-1 (STAX plastic cover + wooden stand).

Out of interest, I tried to see if there was any mention about this cover offering any UV protection (above and beyond being what you get out of a layer of plastic) and there is none mentioned.

I'm curious, however, if people using the CPC-1 near a window or a light source might be experiencing an issue with the driver that is closer to the window as part of this problem.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back