STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #961 of 1,367
5000$ in the HiFi realm is very very low. There are a lot of high net worth folks who can spend a few 100K on a setup and not even be all that in to music :frowning2: I actually like headphones for the value and 'easy-to-use' setup. Remember, speakers need to be at angles and you need a lot of space (and hopefully neighbors that are far away :) in order to get the best sound. 5K speakers vs 5K headphones are not that fair for the speakers.

If 5K is a lot, then Sennheiser 6xx/8xx (as low as 350$) with a Schiit amp (350$) will sound great too.

Andre

Agree, when I had the mega home and dedicated room, I had nearly $40k worth of equipment. Now that I'm in 1700 sq ft, the headphones are not only better value, but actually fit my home. My pick for budget is HD-600 (used) built more than 4 years ago with a brand new stock pad on a Bottlehead Crack + Speeball (used). You might be under $700, then re-tube. HFM HE-500 with mods and HFM HEX v2 on a Ragnarok 1 used its $1500-1650 for that amp and one can or the other pairings.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #962 of 1,367
I got the sr-009s from Woo Audio (great service, btw). I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with

1. I've ordered the Stax headphone stand and dust cover. But they have not arrived yet. Is it alright to leave the earspeakers out while not in use, or should I put it back in the wooden box after each listening session

2. Is it ok to leave the earspeakers plugged into the (Stax) amp after a listening session? The amp is turned off

With respect to the earspeakers themselves, what can I say? They are absolutely fantastic. Even the bass is punchy and controlled. Listening to Bach's organ works is a joy

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #964 of 1,367
I don't know the answer for the second question(I always pull the plug out after I'm done with listening)

Never leave your headphones out while not in use. Always cover them with something. Dust isn't a big problem for Omegas but humidity is.
Thanks! I've put the speakers back in the box.

You mentioned humidity. As it's winter where I live (Massachusetts, USA), does LOW humidity cause any problems?

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #965 of 1,367
Don't store your Stax in airtight containers after use. There is always residual water (sweat) on them that will evaporate and become humidity. That's why all Stax come with the water absorbent pack in the box.

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #966 of 1,367
I got the sr-009s from Woo Audio (great service, btw). I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with

1. I've ordered the Stax headphone stand and dust cover. But they have not arrived yet. Is it alright to leave the earspeakers out while not in use, or should I put it back in the wooden box after each listening session

2. Is it ok to leave the earspeakers plugged into the (Stax) amp after a listening session? The amp is turned off

With respect to the earspeakers themselves, what can I say? They are absolutely fantastic. Even the bass is punchy and controlled. Listening to Bach's organ works is a joy
The Paulownia box is your best friend

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #967 of 1,367

1. Personally, I'm cautious about both dust and humidity; I keep my SR009 and SR009S in a horizontal position under a tight-woven cloth.
2. I think there is no inconvenience to keep the earphones plugged into the Stax or BHSE amp.
BTW, my SR009 is still for sale. Bought new in 2012, perfect condition in original wooden box. Can be seen and tested (in France!)

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #968 of 1,367
1. Personally, I'm cautious about both dust and humidity; I keep my SR009 and SR009S in a horizontal position under a tight-woven cloth.
2. I think there is no inconvenience to keep the earphones plugged into the Stax or BHSE amp.
BTW, my SR009 is still for sale. Bought new in 2012, perfect condition in original wooden box. Can be seen and tested (in France!)

Thanks! I've been keeping my hp in the box it came with when I'm not listening. The Stax stand and dust protector came a couple of days ago. But, following the advice in this thread, I've not been using them for storage.

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #969 of 1,367
I know the SR009s is an expensive piece of gear and should be treated with care, however, I think we can also get a little carried away with how we store the headphones.

My 009s sits on the Stax wooden stand or on my head. It has not been back in the box since it arrived from Woo Audio. Sometimes I forget to put the plastic dust cover on, but if I am not going to be using the headphones for a while, I do make sure the dust cover is in place. They are generally left plugged into the SRM T8000 or the SRM D10.

Thats all folks, they will last you a long, long time with basic care!

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #970 of 1,367
I know the SR009s is an expensive piece of gear and should be treated with care, however, I think we can also get a little carried away with how we store the headphones.

My 009s sits on the Stax wooden stand or on my head. It has not been back in the box since it arrived from Woo Audio. Sometimes I forget to put the plastic dust cover on, but if I am not going to be using the headphones for a while, I do make sure the dust cover is in place. They are generally left plugged into the SRM T8000 or the SRM D10.

Thats all folks, they will last you a long, long time with basic care!

Thanks for the advise. It's good to know. But I'll probably keep keeping it in the box. It's not so much the expense. It's because they sound so ridiculously good compared to every other hp I've owned (lcd-3, LCD-i4, baby Orpheus, se846, etc)! I don't want to mess with that sound!

I've had my 009s for about a month. Here's my mini review. But I'm preaching to the choir, of course!

As mentioned, they are really the most wonderful sounding hp I have ever had. I was a bit worried about the bass extension and impact. But I find the bass very satisfying, even compared to my Audeze stuff. They 9s is more than capable at playing Bach organ works, for example. The treble is bright but not overly or unpleasantly so. It conveys the detail and excitement, but does not fatigue. In fact these are the least fatiguing hps I've ever owned. This is true even with badly recorded music: the musicality shines through

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #971 of 1,367

Same.... Stax Dust cover is all you need. No need to use the woden box, just keept it in case you want to resale the headphone...one day.

IMG_1763.JPG

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #972 of 1,367
>>They are generally left plugged into the SRM T8000 or the SRM D10.
Worst thing you can do - i was told.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #974 of 1,367
>>They are generally left plugged into the SRM T8000 or the SRM D10.
Worst thing you can do - i was told.

Why? What's the reasoning behind this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back