Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Jun 17, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #676 of 928
Hi Negura,
How are you and your family ?   Hope all is well.  Was great to meet you and your wife at the Cambridge meet.  

Thank you for the information.  Much appreciated.    

Yes, its a bit nerve racking to think such an expensive top of the range headphone appears to be very temperamental and kind of fragile.    I always feel I have to handle them with utmost precision and care therefore not being able to completely relax with using them in case I break or upset them.   Reminds me of a high performance and impractical sports car i.e. great when they are working properly but most of the time having to give them lots of TLC ! 

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #677 of 928
This reminds me that I had a temporary imbalance issue with my 009s a few months ago:

After a few months of no trouble since new, the left channel went quieter (very roughly about half volume). Everything else about the sound was perfect.
My first reaction was "Noooooooooooooo"
My second reaction was I was glad I paid extra to buy from local UK dealer for just such eventualities.

My spare 007s showed it was not the amp at fault. No amount of shorting plugs etc made any difference. Yet somehow by the end of the evening the 009s balance came back and have stayed perfect ever since. However...

2 weeks after the imbalance episode, I heard a slight "wailing" sound on the left side.
My first reaction was "Noooooooooooooo"
My second reaction was... oh you get the drift.
Was this the dreaded dust in driver issue? I've not been able to find out because the wailing disappeared later that evening and neither issue has re-appeared for months. Go figure.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #678 of 928
  Hi All,
Thank you for your suggestions.  Much appreciated.   It's what makes this world wide forum so great. 

Myself and HeadinClouds tested my 009's with my KGST and HeadinClouds KGST with swapping the LHS & RHS inputs on the amp around using different sources (my Blu & QBD76 DAC and HeadinClouds fantastic Arcam DAC) and interconnect cables and comparing with HeadinClouds great 007's MkI and MkII and his fabulous Lambda 507's (was amazed by the performance of these headphones).   

From all these tests and comparisons it definitely looks like my 009's have a problem and my KGST is fine as HeadinClouds headphones sound great and amazing through my KGST and HeadinClouds KGST.  

Would be good to try other amps particularly a Stax amp as this is the test PriceJapan wants me to do just in case although I am 99% sure it's my 009's.  

When you return them back to PJ for test, please provide them any test criteria. e.g. few years back when I was helping another member sort out his channel imbalance, initially Stax said there was no issues. Few months later when the problem deteriorated I had to tell them that they had to let it run for about 30 mins before the channel imbalance became obvious. They found the issue and swapped the drivers on the 2nd round of return for service.

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #679 of 928
Would be good to catch up if nothing else and bring up my KGST and Blu CD Transporter & QBD76 DAC (for the following weekend not next weekend). 

In bringing your KGST Mark, ( along with your CD & DAC ) it would be a good idea to have your KGST also used with my SACD/DAC and powered via my power purifier, that way we'd be able to hear better the difference between the BHSE and KGST driving the 009's, you can also try out my SR-003mk2's if you'd like.

When using your KGST with my source, we'll also try swapping over my interconnects. ( silver XLR's and copper RCA's )

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #680 of 928
In bringing your KGST Mark, ( along with your CD & DAC ) it would be a good idea to have your KGST also used with my SACD/DAC and powered via my power purifier, that way we'd be able to hear better the difference between the BHSE and KGST driving the 009's, you can also try out my SR-003mk2's if you'd like.

When using your KGST with my source, we'll also try swapping over my interconnects. ( silver XLR's and copper RCA's )

This is interesting. First - I hope the 009s get fixed by PJ. But a test between a BHSE and Geoff's KGST has me focussed!

I am thinking they are both tubed but very different designs so surely MUST sound different. The attraction of the KGST is the tubes are cheaper and the initial cost of a typical build can be lower than a BHSE, though it needs to be build by a DIY'er as opposed to factory from Headamp. I can vouch for Geoff's work based on my own KGSShv which I love, and he is a really nice guy and a genuine enthusiast. 

Lets chat when I am over David!

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #681 of 928
Do KGST's built by Geoff have both XLR & RCA sockets ?

@ astrostar59,

Yes Julian we'll have a good chat when you visit.

P.S. Although I'm looking forward to hearing how the KGST built by Geoff makes the 009 sound, my next stats amp is going to be a KGSSHV Carbon.

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #682 of 928
Do KGST's built by Geoff have both XLR & RCA sockets ?

@ astrostar59,

Yes Julian we'll have a good chat when you visit.

P.S. Although I'm looking forward to hearing how the KGST built by Geoff makes the 009 sound, my next stats amp is going to be a KGSSHV Carbon.

David,

The KGST built at my request does not.  I simply use these if I'm using my Beresford Caiman MkII DAC instead of my ygg (which has both balanced and a couple pair of RCA's).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1026927-REG/neutrik_na2mpmf_3_pole_xlr_male_to.html

I think you will be very pleased with both the build quality and the sound from Geoff's KGST.  The level of fit and finish, the quality of the parts used, both internally and externally, and his heat sinking/dissipation design is something to see.  I can literally lay my hand over the tubes all day long...not much over ambient and mine is swinging 400v.  Impressive.

My 007A's sound very good indeed.  I also have a pair of O2 MkI's on the way that I look forward to trying with the amp.

Best of luck with yours.

HS

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #683 of 928
David,

I think you will be very pleased with both the build quality and the sound from Geoff's KGST.  The level of fit and finish, the quality of the parts used, both internally and externally, and his heat sinking/dissipation design is something to see.  I can literally lay my hand over the tubes all day long...not much over ambient and mine is swinging 400v.  Impressive.

My 007A's sound very good indeed.  I also have a pair of O2 MkI's on the way that I look forward to trying with the amp.

Best of luck with yours.

HS

As mentioned in my previous post HS, the next stats amp I'll be getting ( when I've the spare money ) is a KGSSHV Carbon.
It'll be a SS because I've already got the BHSE, and with it having tubes I don't want another stats amp with them.
With that said I'm not getting a KGST.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #684 of 928
As mentioned in my previous post HS, the next stats amp I'll be getting ( when I've the spare money ) is a KGSSHV Carbon.
It'll be a SS because I've already got the BHSE, and with it having tubes I don't want another stats amp with them.
With that said I'm not getting a KGST.

Gotcha, David.  Sorry...I saw the question and jumped to that conclusion.

I'm sure the BHSE is quite special.  I don't have the space for one where my current head-fi setup resides, although I did buy a shelf setup recently that I guess could allow for it.  I'm so pleased with the headinclouds KGST that I haven't eventhat considered another e-stat amp.  Interestingly, with the pair of O2 MkI's I purchased, I'll be getting an almost unused Stax SRM 717 in black.  I'll have a listen out of curiousity, but I'll likely sell it when the time comes.  

I can add the ygg has been a nice addition to both my e-stat and dynamic rigs.

HS

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #685 of 928
@ HemiSam,

The reason I mentioned about the KGST, was because Bonesy Jonesy said he'd be bringing it with him to my place when he visits.
I just suggested that Mark could try out his 009's with my BHSE to see if there was still a problem when driven by that amp, so I didn't know he had a KGST, let alone it was built by Geoff.

ATM I'm using the PH tubes with my BHSE, but I'll use the Mullard xf4's when Mark visits.

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #686 of 928
I'd love to hear what you guys think of the BHSE vs the KGST if you happen to do some A/B'g with the same pair of cans.  More curiousity than anything, but that would be pretty cool if anyone's up for it.  

HS

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #687 of 928
 I'm so pleased with the headinclouds KGST that I haven't eventhat considered another e-stat amp.  

HS

I'm getting another stats amp for if something happened to the BHSE, I wouldn't be without listening to the 009's.
That next stats amp is going to be a SS because with the BHSE having tubes I won't leave it on unattended, but with a SS it wouldn't bother me doing that.

I was listening to the 009/BHSE using the xf4's for several hours yesterday, and with the SQ I was hearing, the KGST would have to be very special to sound as good as the BHSE, or even on par, but time will tell.
However the source I have does ( IMO ) seem to bring amps closer together in SQ, I say that because I also have HD-600's driven by a Dynalo mk1 got from Birgir, and while that combo isn't to the level of the 009/BHSE, with that source the HD-600/Dynalo mk1 I find do sound very very good. ( I use a silver custom cable with the HD-600's )

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #688 of 928
I'm getting another stats amp for if something happened to the BHSE, I wouldn't be without listening to the 009's.
That next stats amp is going to be a SS because with the BHSE having tubes I won't leave it on unattended, but with a SS it wouldn't bother me doing that.

I was listening to the 009/BHSE using the xf4's for several hours yesterday, and with the SQ I was hearing, the KGST would have to be very special to sound as good as the BHSE, or even on par, but time will tell.
However the source I have does ( IMO ) seem to bring amps closer together in SQ, I say that because I also have HD-600's driven by a Dynalo mk1 got from Birgir, and while that combo isn't to the level of the 009/BHSE, with that source the HD-600/Dynalo mk1 I find do sound very very good. ( I use a silver custom cable with the HD-600's )

Very cool.  I hope to listen to a BHSE one of these days.  Would be a real treat to listen to one out of my rig, but that's not likely to happen.  The ygg DAC has been an interesting addition...pretty darn revealing and interestingly a warmer than the Beresford I have IMO with both my estats and dynamics.  PM me your source if you don't mind sharing.  I'm taking this thread off-topic and don't want to get anyone excited...LOL.

I'm trying to make my way through this enormous thread.  Is there a count / tally anywhere of the number of imbalances experienced by owners?  Mine was a 007A purchased a few months back that I had to return for the imbalance issue.

HS

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #689 of 928

Gotcha, David.  Sorry...I saw the question and jumped to that conclusion.

I'm sure the BHSE is quite special.  I don't have the space for one where my current head-fi setup resides, although I did buy a shelf setup recently that I guess could allow for it.  I'm so pleased with the headinclouds KGST that I haven't eventhat considered another e-stat amp.  Interestingly, with the pair of O2 MkI's I purchased, I'll be getting an almost unused Stax SRM 717 in black.  I'll have a listen out of curiousity, but I'll likely sell it when the time comes.  

I can add the ygg has been a nice addition to both my e-stat and dynamic rigs.

HS

I have the 717 and a KGSShv which Geoff built. I would recommend keeping the 717 for a spare amp. I will use mine when I am in the UK for 2 months per year. The 717 is a good amp, and no slough. IMO worth more to keep it than the money you would get. 

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #690 of 928

David,

The KGST built at my request does not.  I simply use these if I'm using my Beresford Caiman MkII DAC instead of my ygg (which has both balanced and a couple pair of RCA's).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1026927-REG/neutrik_na2mpmf_3_pole_xlr_male_to.html

Best of luck with yours.

HS

Yes, Geoff is a credit to the DIY community IMO. My KGSShv looks even better inside than out, his workmanship is top notch. I hope he keeps at it, as I would fancy a KGSSHV carbon if he was to do one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back