1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made? - Head-Fi TV, Episode 008

Discussion in 'Head-Fi Network & Industry News' started by jude, Jun 28, 2011.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last
  1. wind016

Quote:

Gotcha. I just made a short impressions thread and I talked about a similar feeling initially. I was underwhelmed with it's rather soft, inorganic sound, but came to really appreciate it a lot after a while.

2. Syltburken
    To Jude: Do you even think it was better than the Sleek Audio CT20, that was like $3000 more?

3. arnaud Contributor

Quote:

Seriously? Come on, nothing beats a CT20.

4. Hawaiiancerveza
    Whats the amp near the laptop??? =)   

5. wotts
  6. Hawaiiancerveza
    Ya I looked it up.  But they seem to be more of a speaker amp rather used as a HP amp... know anything about it? =)

Quote:

7. slapfireguy
    Jude:

Great review.   You sound like I did in 1971 when I was at the Glaser Brothers Sound Studio in Nashville.  They had just installed their Daniel Flickinger console and their MCI 16 track machine.  I remember everyone commenting that they could never see why anyone would need more tracks on tape.  That quickly changed to 24 tracks. 

I would love to borrow them for a weekend, but I don't want to buy headphones that I can't listen to when I go cruising down to the beach in my Maserati.

As far as wanting them, I do!   You hooked me!

As for buying them, I think we need to pass a debt ceiling bill first.[​IMG]

8. rgs9200m
    A $5200 SR009 and a $5000 tubed Woo WES amp and it's "BRIGHT" ?? ( Go to  8:10 - 8:40 in the video).
    Uh-oh.

9. Music Daedalus
    Personally, I had a chance to compare he90 and stax 009 on aristaeus, unfortunately, at that time I only got my arcam cd 23 with me. I will say 009 is a really nice headphone, the main difference with he90 is that 009 has a more direct presentation, more controlled bass, they are products with different ideas anyway, reflecting the different understanding of music.

btw, I do not care to much about frequency distribution, extension to much. Good imaging and lively presentation style matters much more.

also, I am curious, is a mac + da10 an eligible source for such a high end system.

10. jude Administrator
    Quote:

MacBook Pro / MacBook Air --> Amarra --> Lavry DA11

To answer your question:  I definitely think so.  Of course, anyone who disagrees might then consider my opinion invalidated on that basis, and I can live with that.

That said, I'm so happy with the DA11 that I bought two of them, because I was getting tired of toting the one I had back and forth between my home office and my office office.

11. El_Doug Contributor
    100% high-end!  The DA10/11 is a top notch source, detailed and quick to the max. 

Unless, of course, you define "high-end" by the price, and demand tubes, output capacitors, extra distortion, and significant rolloff - then the DA10/11 will disappoint you :wink: 

Quote:

12. pazto
    Very nice episode, they're crazy stuff
    I wish I could afford sth like these (wonder who)

13. Syan25
    Yeah, wish i could too///

14. milosolo
    Wait... You're a guy?? And all this time I thought you were that hot girl in the avatar. Frankly I'm devastated...

Quote:

15. Lunatique

Quote:

Wait, you're not the anime girl in your avatar? I'm devastated too. . .. :D

My avatar is one of my favorite photos I've ever taken as a photographer, and it's my wife, Elena .

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last