Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made? - Head-Fi TV, Episode 008
Jul 26, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #196 of 423

Quote:
The Orpheus just had a different presentation. For example, the sound of cymbals had a sparkle to it. It didn't sound flat, maybe slam was the wrong word used to describe the sound. 

I just felt the 007 sounded flat and boring. I'm just trying to describe it the best as I can. I think maybe the proportion of bass, mid range, and highs didn't sound realistic to me.  

Quote:

Gotcha. I just made a short impressions thread and I talked about a similar feeling initially. I was underwhelmed with it's rather soft, inorganic sound, but came to really appreciate it a lot after a while.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #202 of 423
Jude:

Great review.   You sound like I did in 1971 when I was at the Glaser Brothers Sound Studio in Nashville.  They had just installed their Daniel Flickinger console and their MCI 16 track machine.  I remember everyone commenting that they could never see why anyone would need more tracks on tape.  That quickly changed to 24 tracks. 

I would love to borrow them for a weekend, but I don't want to buy headphones that I can't listen to when I go cruising down to the beach in my Maserati.

As far as wanting them, I do!   You hooked me!

As for buying them, I think we need to pass a debt ceiling bill first.
atsmile.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #204 of 423
Personally, I had a chance to compare he90 and stax 009 on aristaeus, unfortunately, at that time I only got my arcam cd 23 with me. I will say 009 is a really nice headphone, the main difference with he90 is that 009 has a more direct presentation, more controlled bass, they are products with different ideas anyway, reflecting the different understanding of music.

btw, I do not care to much about frequency distribution, extension to much. Good imaging and lively presentation style matters much more.

also, I am curious, is a mac + da10 an eligible source for such a high end system.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #205 of 423
Quote:
Personally, I had a chance to compare he90 and stax 009 on aristaeus, unfortunately, at that time I only got my arcam cd 23 with me. I will say 009 is a really nice headphone, the main difference with he90 is that 009 has a more direct presentation, more controlled bass, they are products with different ideas anyway, reflecting the different understanding of music.

btw, I do not care to much about frequency distribution, extension to much. Good imaging and lively presentation style matters much more.

also, I am curious, is a mac + da10 an eligible source for such a high end system.

MacBook Pro / MacBook Air --> Amarra --> Lavry DA11

To answer your question:  I definitely think so.  Of course, anyone who disagrees might then consider my opinion invalidated on that basis, and I can live with that.

That said, I'm so happy with the DA11 that I bought two of them, because I was getting tired of toting the one I had back and forth between my home office and my office office.

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #206 of 423
100% high-end!  The DA10/11 is a top notch source, detailed and quick to the max. 

Unless, of course, you define "high-end" by the price, and demand tubes, output capacitors, extra distortion, and significant rolloff - then the DA10/11 will disappoint you :wink: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Daedalus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #210 of 423

Quote:
Wait... You're a guy?? And all this time I thought you were that hot girl in the avatar. Frankly I'm devastated...

Wait, you're not the anime girl in your avatar? I'm devastated too. . .. :D

My avatar is one of my favorite photos I've ever taken as a photographer, and it's my wife, Elena .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back