Stax SR-009 and T2 successors confirmed for spring 2017
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #61 of 256
As a French audiophile who resides in Nippon, Arnaud skills English and Japanese extremely well.

Bravo, well, more than bravo. One of the brightest member from Stax mafia.

About the incoming T3, looks like it's gonna massacre both T2 and BHSE with higher voltage swing. The price will be higher than ever. (of course can't be as high as those Senn-HFM suits.)
Waiting for the DIY version.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #62 of 256
As a French audiophile who resides in Nippon, Arnaud skills English and Japanese extremely well.

About the incoming T3, looks like it's gonna massacre both T2 and BHSE with higher voltage swing. The price will be higher than ever. (of course can't be as high as those Senn-HFM suits.)

You sure about that? I will believe that when I see the reviews / specs. Stax has been so so on amps to date. The T2 was not successful as a commercial product effectively, even though it apparently sounded magical. Really IMO some of their HPs have left them behind, and many DIY amps  (you know the ones I mean) have squarely beaten them on performance.

I hope Stax do get a top amp out. I can't see a DIY version of it after that unless it says something very new. Sorry, I sound negative, just my take on how it looks to date. Lets hope they surprise us.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #63 of 256

The DIY T2 was meant to make the amp topology available to more people and with a different power supply. In fact it proceeded as a DIY project in its current form only after Stax was made aware and did not object. No reason to expect all of those to be true with the T3.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #64 of 256
There may be a regulation limit for the couple voltage swing / mA.
BTW, I'm very curious to see how Stax's done it, especially compared to the latest mafia's Kevin Gilmore's designs (carbon, megatron, grounded grid, circlotron, etc...)

Ali

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #65 of 256
From short conversation with stax hq yesterday, they're still aiming for a commercial release of a new amp by the summer with a probable unveiling at spring fujiya festival.

Sasaki-san said it would sit above the 007t2 which I would assume means it will be a tube / hybrid design. When asked how different from current amps, it seemed clear it won't quite be T2 level so my bet is on something akin to the kgst with similar retail price to the 009.

Not sure we can expect anything for the 80th anniversary so this business as usual at stax :wink:.

Arnaud

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #66 of 256
popcorn.gif

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #67 of 256
From short conversation with stax hq yesterday, they're still aiming for a commercial release of a new amp by the summer with a probable unveiling at spring fujiya festival.

Sasaki-san said it would sit above the 007t2 which I would assume means it will be a tube / hybrid design. When asked how different from current amps, it seemed clear it won't quite be T2 level so my bet is on something akin to the kgst with similar retail price to the 009.

Not sure we can expect anything for the 80th anniversary so this business as usual at stax :wink:.

Arnaud

That's still a very good news however.  KGST is great sounding amp.  Wonder if they will improve on the PSU too?  Thanks again.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #68 of 256
Wait. So there's going to be a 009 successor but not a T2 successor? 
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #70 of 256
  No...the other way around. A new TOTL amp...that's it.

Unfortunately, based on the quote below, it would appear that the new TOTL amp would not be a T2 successor, but merely something better than what is currently available from STAX. If this is the case, then both of the exciting products promised by the thread title are not to be...at least not in the listed time frame.

Arnaud

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #71 of 256

Unfortunately, based on the quote below, it would appear that the new TOTL amp would not be a T2 successor, but merely something better than what is currently available from STAX. If this is the case, then both of the exciting products promised by the thread title are not to be...at least not in the listed time frame.

Exactly...just a new TOTL amp...good thing because they needed one over the 007II and 727II.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #72 of 256
T2 release didn't really go too well and bankrupt them I heard. Guess it's the next TOTL on current amps available. I wonder if it'll also be long and rectangular shaped. 

It'll most likely be tube no doubt. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #73 of 256
  T2 release didn't really go too well and bankrupt them I heard. Guess it's the next TOTL on current amps available. I wonder if it'll also be long and rectangular shaped. 

It'll most likely be tube no doubt. 
wink_face.gif

The STAX SRM-T2, DIY T2, and BHSE are all tube / solid state hybrids, so if a T2 successor ever finally comes out, it likely will be too.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #74 of 256
Since we're speculating, a logical upgrade to the 006/007 amps would be to replace the output plate resistors with constant current loads.  This would significantly improve drive capability and distortion with a relatively minimal redesign, and would fit within the current size box.  This would convert the amp circuit to one that is very similar to the KGST.  The current production tubes that could be used are: 6CG7/6FQ7, ECC99, 6SN7GTA/B and triode wired EL34.  The last would require a bigger box so is less likely.  Using constant current loads would also allow the tubes to be set at a more linear point - for example, in the current SRM007tII, the 6FQ7 tubes are being run at about 3.7 mA - good for tube life, but not in their most linear region.  An increase in standing current to 5 mA, which is where the T1 and 006 sit, would put the tube into a more linear region.  While this seems like a small change, it is an increase of about one third.

Also, as long as we're speculating, if Stax elects to keep its current sized box, there is no room for a regulated power supply for the output section (the input section already has 7815/7915 regulation).

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #75 of 256
  Since we're speculating, a logical upgrade to the 006/007 amps would be to replace the output plate resistors with constant current loads.  This would significantly improve drive capability and distortion with a relatively minimal redesign, and would fit within the current size box.  This would convert the amp circuit to one that is very similar to the KGST.  The current production tubes that could be used are: 6CG7/6FQ7, ECC99, 6SN7GTA/B and triode wired EL34.  The last would require a bigger box so is less likely.  Using constant current loads would also allow the tubes to be set at a more linear point - for example, in the current SRM007tII, the 6FQ7 tubes are being run at about 3.7 mA - good for tube life, but not in their most linear region.  An increase in standing current to 5 mA, which is where the T1 and 006 sit, would put the tube into a more linear region.  While this seems like a small change, it is an increase of about one third.

Also, as long as we're speculating, if Stax elects to keep its current sized box, there is no room for a regulated power supply for the output section (the input section already has 7815/7915 regulation).

Good information there JimL11, thank you.
I also wonder if a heat increase might panic Stax as they need to fulfil CE approval across multiple countries? Not sure how that works re country regulation for hot devices.
They do seem set on a tube inside the chassis design if they follow existing convention. Even the mighty T2 was all enclosed and look at the heat issues that had.....

TBH they have to equal the KGST I would say to be a realistic amp to drive the 007 and 009 really well re power and sound quality. But if they do that, it would IMO show the general buying public at the various dealers and demo rooms just how damb good the 007 and 009 really are when driven well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back