Stax SR-009 and T2 successors confirmed for spring 2017
Dec 24, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #16 of 256
In 2011 a TOTL dynamic can was around $1500-2000 (random examples: Fostex TH-900, Ultrasone Edition 10), and that's stayed pretty consistent for most of the last 15 years. The "new comers" to the field are the genre of $5000+ products, five figure products, and $1000 products becoming the new $300-500 segment. I don't think its reasonable to say the SR-009 mediated any of that, especially when the price has come down significantly since launch (if I'm not mistaken, STAX more or less "bet the farm" to develop the SR-009, which was part of why the price was so high initially).

I wouldn't call the TH900s or anything from Ultrasone as TOTL. 
tongue.gif
 In 2009, a TOTL system as the HD650 and a B22...all for around $1500ish. The SR-009s haven't reduced in price...what has happened is the strengthening of the foreign currency against the Japanese Yen...so we've benefitted from the exchange. But I agree that I don't think Stax won't jack up the price. The SR-009s were significantly higher than their predecessors (SR-007).

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #17 of 256
  I wouldn't call the TH900s or anything from Ultrasone as TOTL. 
tongue.gif
 In 2009, a TOTL system as the HD650 and a B22...all for around $1500ish. The SR-009s haven't reduced in price...what has happened is the strengthening of the foreign currency against the Japanese Yen...so we've benefitted from the exchange. But I agree that I don't think Stax won't jack up the price. The SR-009s were significantly higher than their predecessors (SR-007).

Still, I think if the SR-009 successor will replace it, with the SR-009 being discontinued, it wouldn't cost much more. (Though at this point we don't know whether they plan on continuing to produce both.) When the SR-009 came out, the SR-007MK2 continued to be produced, so in a sense it was more of a new flagship than a direct successor.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #18 of 256

Still, I think if the SR-009 successor will replace it, with the SR-009 being discontinued, it wouldn't cost much more. (Though at this point we don't know whether they plan on continuing to produce both.) When the SR-009 came out, the SR-007MK2 continued to be produced, so in a sense it was more of a new flagship than a direct successor.

I don't see that trend with Stax...they didn't discontinue the SR-007 with the SR-009. Especially if the new headphone when its released will cost north of $8k.  And that article talked about their 80th year...so 2018.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #19 of 256
I could see it going either way, sound wise the 009 has as many detractors as supporters among stax users. If they judge that the 009 will lose a good chunk of its base as it is not at the top of the heap anymore it might not be worth it to run the production. This might be especially true if the new headphones have a sound signature similar to the 009. 

But at the same time tooling and development for the 009 have been long paid for so the cost of running them might not be significant. Just reduce production to meet reduced demand. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #20 of 256
  I could see it going either way, sound wise the 009 has as many detractors as supporters among stax users. If they judge that the 009 will lose a good chunk of its base as it is not at the top of the heap anymore it might not be worth it to run the production. This might be especially true if the new headphones have a sound signature similar to the 009. 

If the new headphone is north of $8-9k (which is where I'd think the price will be), then they would have a gapping hole between them and the SR-007s. The SR-009s are to date the best I've heard and I'd say they still sell quite well for Stax. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #21 of 256
I think about it a bit differently when spending that on headphones, 5 or 8 doesn't really matter, people are going to buy what ever is the best headphone offered. At this price occupiers in a product line may not be relevant because buyer simply set up to the new level. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #22 of 256
  I think about it a bit differently when spending that on headphones, 5 or 8 doesn't really matter, people are going to buy what ever is the best headphone offered. At this price occupiers in a product line may not be relevant because buyer simply set up to the new level. 

Some people WILL buy it because they want the best, but many will be filtered out due to the price...and north of $9k is outside of what I'd pay.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #23 of 256
Yea your right, and what happens to the 009 will probably be a fact or of these 2 types of buyers. I also think you're right in that stax will want to continue to make them. So we will have to see how the numbers play out for them.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #24 of 256
  Yea your right, and what happens to the 009 will probably be a fact or of these 2 types of buyers. I also think you're right in that stax will want to continue to make them. So we will have to see how the numbers play out for them.

Now we just have to wait until 2018...I'm hoping they don't follow the $50k route that other electro-stat manufacturers have. 
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #25 of 256
For me the amp is the wildcard. My understanding of the T2 is that it is an overly complex monstrosity that is inherently unreliable. I am not a builder and I was not buying when the T2 was made so my impression may not be correct. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #26 of 256
  Now we just have to wait until 2018...I'm hoping they don't follow the $50k route that other electro-stat manufacturers have. 
wink.gif

Gosh, yes. I think they already know that their customers would lose respect for them if they tried to pull that off. Personally, I'll be happy if it's under $10K. And I still feel that it will be closer to $5K. Either way, I'm gonna have to suck up my pride and start traveling to compare all the best headphones. I used to buy/trade all sorts of ones under $1K, but when they cost thousands, I'd rather just keep things simple and narrow it down to one or two, especially taking into account the added cost of endgame amps.

For me the amp is the wildcard. My understanding of the T2 is that it is an overly complex monstrosity that is inherently unreliable. I am not a builder and I was not buying when the T2 was made so my impression may not be correct. 

Here are the schematics of the improved DIY version: http://tee8tee4388.blogspot.com/2013/07/t2-diy.html

devil_face.gif

(The original STAX SRM-T2 had far more reliability issues.)

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #27 of 256
I have looked at stax for a while and more so in the last year. I find their presentation fascinating(my auditions have been limited to 007mk2 and 009 out of BHSE no other amps). I hope they can get some pre production units to shows in 2017. I may not be able to make a big meet myself but I really want to hear peoples thoughts on them. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #29 of 256
Sound the alarms, I am selling my T2 DIY!!!!!

I will welcome whatever addition they see fit to throw in the mix. However, the 009 is so very damn fine sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back