Stax SR-009 and T2 successors confirmed for spring 2017
Feb 3, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #76 of 256
  I also wonder if a heat increase might panic Stax as they need to fulfil CE approval across multiple countries? Not sure how that works re country regulation for hot devices.
They do seem set on a tube inside the chassis design if they follow existing convention. Even the mighty T2 was all enclosed and look at the heat issues that had.....

TBH they have to equal the KGST I would say to be a realistic amp to drive the 007 and 009 really well re power and sound quality. But if they do that, it would IMO show the general buying public at the various dealers and demo rooms just how damn good the 007 and 009 really are when driven well.

The increase in heat would only be about a watt per side.  They already have heat sinks large enough in the 717/727 amps.

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #77 of 256
From fall 2012 interview (4 years already!), new amp would certainly require a new chassis...

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #78 of 256
From fall 2012 interview (4 years already!), new amp would certainly require a new chassis...

I remember STAX stating in an interview (probably the one you cited) that they intend for a new amp they've been working on to outperform the original SRM-T2. I wonder if they still have plans for that. Perhaps the confirmed amp from the recent discussion (which you said seems to be less complex) is just an additional amp before the "big" one is ready. (That would certainly be a nicer scenario than if they had scrapped the plans for the T2 successor entirely and settled for the lesser amp.)

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #79 of 256

I was thinking that they seem wedded to a chassis size no larger than the current 007/727 size, but I could be wrong.  I could see fitting constant current loads with heatsink into the area currently occupied by the plate resistors - would generate the same amount of heat (or a bit more if they crank up the current a bit).  At least with the current layout there isn't room to fit in a regulated supply, e.g. something like the original KGSS/KGBH PS, which would also require some additional heatsinking as well.  If they go with a larger chassis then all bets are off, but a larger chassis (and more weight) would be more expensive to ship, also.  Probably would need some marketing analysis to evaluate the pros/cons.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #81 of 256
  might be next year, the new flagship amp for 009

by this time, headAmp might have released their new TOL  "All tube" Amp that is supposed to top his BHSE ! 

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #82 of 256

might be next year, the new flagship amp for 009

by this time, headAmp might have released their new TOL  "All tube" Amp that is supposed to top his BHSE ! 

Doubt it. Even the T2 isn't all Tubes, as has some Mosfets on the heatsinks.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #84 of 256
Feb 16, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #86 of 256
Feb 16, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #87 of 256
As long as we are speculating, the Gilmore Megatron is close to an all tube design - it uses tubes for all the amplifying duties, although it uses solid state constant current sources and loads in the input and intermediate stages.  Uses 8 EL34 tubes in the output, doubles as a room heater in the winter.

The SRX Plus design, although hybrid, could be considered "all tube" also, as the amplifying duties are all done with tubes, although it uses solid state constant current sources and loads to set the operating conditions for the tubes and allow them to function at their best.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #88 of 256
  As long as we are speculating, the Gilmore Megatron is close to an all tube design - it uses tubes for all the amplifying duties, although it uses solid state constant current sources and loads in the input and intermediate stages.  Uses 8 EL34 tubes in the output, doubles as a room heater in the winter.

The SRX Plus design, although hybrid, could be considered "all tube" also, as the amplifying duties are all done with tubes, although it uses solid state constant current sources and loads to set the operating conditions for the tubes and allow them to function at their best.

Have you got a photo of the SRX Plus JimLL? 

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #89 of 256

Have you got a photo of the SRX Plus JimLL? 

Well, as it is DIY, there is no "standard" SRX Plus.  I built mine completely inside a standard chassis so it just looks like an aluminum box with a power switch, big volume knob and two output jacks, one std bias and one pro bias.  OTOH, if you look on the other website under "srx revisited" p. 6 you can see versions by congo5 and sorrodje, probably using Kevin Gilmore's board with external tubes.

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #90 of 256
so, i am looking to get into Stax now, and working on my Carbon. It seems like the time i finished the carbon = new headphones released ? That would be sweeeeetttt. T2 can be the ultimate amp, but to me, the Carbon is more practical as no tubes to replace with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back