Stax SR-009 and T2 successors confirmed for spring 2017
Mar 7, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #92 of 256
@arnaud

Did they explain / do you know why the 30%ish humidity is beneficial? I had always been under the impression you want a little more than that in an electronics shop. But, I'm not implying they don't know what they're doing!

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #95 of 256
Nvm...I think this 30% is ideal for the applications and handling the membranes static, but more than this.....when willl there be news about the 009 successor
biggrin.gif

I would not hold out for the 010 HP. It can take an age for Stax to finally release anything new. I would rather they got the dev spot on and tested it before it was released.

Going back to the humidity subject, I live in a super dry climate not unlike California so zero rain and very dry. Pretty much all plants can't survive unless succulents. So I wonder if static is higher at my location? I did have an 009 fail last year, and was wondering if that was a static issue. Since then, I wash my hands if I have recently stroked the dog (static) and touch the metal frame on my desk before I pick up the 009s.

No idea if that helps. I never wear nylon shirts as notorious for static build up. The boss at my old job did and he destroyed so many PCs at work it was untrue...

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #97 of 256
I will be in Munich High End in May. 

Hope it will be announced there 
smile.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #101 of 256
  Hints are saying it'll be in KGST class, ie 007t2 done right. But not up to BHSE/T2/Carbon level.

Ali

Which is not on the same level as a regular KGSSHV.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #102 of 256
  Which is not on the same level as a regular KGSSHV.

I'm not certain that is the case, although this is speculative as I haven't heard a KGSSHV - I've only heard a KGST with KGSSHV PS and improved LV PS similar to a Golden Ref LV PS.  I believe that the majority of KGST examples have been built with the mini-BH power supply which is not nearly as sophisticated as the full size KGSSHV power supply.  The KGST and KGSSHV amp circuits share the same front end with the major difference being the output stage - solid state vs tubes, and a lower PS voltage for the KGST.  I would guess that with the same power supply they should be very comparable other than the solid state vs tube dichotomy.  Even so, I understand that some prefer the KGST over the KGSSHV because of its tonality, even with the lesser PS, so I would consider them at roughly the same level depending on individual preferences and priorities.

OTOH, even assuming that the Stax amp circuit resembles the KGST, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a passive power supply.  With only one exception, none of the Stax amps has had a regulated power supply (not even the original T2), in which case the new amp would be below the level of a basic KGST.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #103 of 256
there is a new leak info on stax new amps from stax guy.
Stax guy told interviewer about new amp, he say, "inside chassis there are full of parts inside  there is no blank space at all. seems sounds good."
maybe possibility of regulated power supply? or maybe even possibility of SS amp? because if its tube amp, it need ventilation space?
its just my speculation...

http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201702/18/40584.html (in japanese)

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #104 of 256
Last time Stax did something very densely populated to the eye, it was the original T2...with its unfortunate tendency to toast its own PCB because of heat 
redface.gif

I don't know wether you read japanese or not, but when google translates this interview, it's more "the amp looks good, and the sound from it is in no way meager / lean". But hey, it's google 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back