Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Mar 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #331 of 783
I dont know if Stax gives a maximum but maybe there is a reason they specify a 4.5V DC adapter instead of one that is much more common today, the 5V.

it's a waste too because that battery pack contains a step-up converter to increase the voltage to 5V which lowers efficiency and we dont need it

i'd also be curious about the interaction between a switching power supply that might be poorly filtered (like the step-up converter on the battery pack) and the step-up converter inside the Stax amp

i took a look and i think the largest li-po battery I could fit in place of the 2xAA would be about 3,000mah @ 3.7v.  if the largest nimh AA batteries are around 2600mah @ 2.4v, this is around a 75% increase in battery capacity.  The DC Adapter jack could be re-wired to accept a li-po charger instead.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Mar 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #332 of 783
Quote:
I dont know if Stax gives a maximum but maybe there is a reason they specify a 4.5V DC adapter instead of one that is much more common today, the 5V.

it's a waste too because that battery pack contains a step-up converter to increase the voltage to 5V which lowers efficiency and we dont need it

i'd also be curious about the interaction between a switching power supply that might be poorly filtered (like the step-up converter on the battery pack) and the step-up converter inside the Stax amp

i took a look and i think the largest li-po battery I could fit in place of the 2xAA would be about 3,000mah @ 3.7v.  if the largest nimh AA batteries are around 2600mah @ 2.4v, this is around a 75% increase in battery capacity.  The DC Adapter jack could be re-wired to accept a li-po charger instead.

This sounds pretty great, Justin.

**BRENT**

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #333 of 783
Quote:

I bought one of these and tried it out - after an hour of listening I noticed that the SR-001 amplifier's plastic housing was warm to the touch. I'm wondering if 5 volts might be too much for a stock SR-001 amp. Anyone with any thoughts on this?

Did it make any noise when listening? Mine did.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #334 of 783
Quote:
The DC Adapter jack could be re-wired to accept a li-po charger instead.

Switching from a battery bypass connection to an active on-board battery charger would be too slick. Be even slicker if said charger also allowed use of the amp while charging.
Quote:
Did it make any noise when listening? Mine did.

I bought one as well and had it connected for less than 20 seconds due to the noise.  I needed a USB charger anyway for when I'm off the grid; works perfectly for this.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #335 of 783
Quote:

I bought one of these and tried it out - after an hour of listening I noticed that the SR-001 amplifier's plastic housing was warm to the touch. I'm wondering if 5 volts might be too much for a stock SR-001 amp. Anyone with any thoughts on this?

I did this for about an hour till my SRM-001 unit got too warm. Strictly speaking you would get the PSU rated at 5v but it actually will be fluctuating a bit higher maybe around 5.10v etc. Underpowering something is fine but overpowering over the 10% tolerance is not usually good especially with something this small and delicate. Purchased a DC adapter today with interchangeable tips and adjustable voltages. I cannot hear any sound improvements over battery but at least I have it good for desktop use now till I can be bothered with buying the Pro-bias adaptor cables through my Stax distributor (thanks to rudi and his friend).

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #336 of 783
In terms of powerpaks, I've been using a Sony Ac-es455k to run my Sr001 as a desktop - 4.5v 500ma  (I am in a 240v country). Polarity of the tip is correct and works well with nothing getting overheated. Can still pick these up for cheap on ebay and other places Rest of the system is a HRT istreamer/ipod.

regards,

Giles

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #337 of 783
Yeah, bought one from eBay, V was around 8V when it should have been 4.5. 
Just make sure to measure it before you use it

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #338 of 783
FWIW when I called Yama's the other day, they told me they sell a wall adapter for the SR-002 for $40.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #339 of 783
Thanks for the info. I emailed but have not received a response yet.
this one from Amazon looks OK:
http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-Compact-Universal-Adapter-Supply/dp/B00068U44I

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #340 of 783
$40 seems a bit too much for an adaptor. I got mine from Jaycar for $25 I know it's bit more expensive than ebay but should anything go wrong a 10 minute train ride or 15 minute drive and I could get it replaced instantly. My one is 1.5ma.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #343 of 783
Havent posted in a while...blissfully enjoying my SRM001-2 till recently when the cable from the little amp to earbuds went wonky...intermittent contact...anyone know how/where to get a replacement? Thanks...email chongp at gmail please.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #345 of 783
^^ What Gillency said, in my case through my Stax distributor in Australia, just to give you a rough price, the cables for the SRM units are tad bit more expensive than the desktop Pro-Bias cable @ $90 not including postage. So expect to pay $65-90 with StaxUSA or Yama/Audiocubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back