Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Feb 16, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #617 of 783
CESA1-02-L.jpg

CESA1-03-L.jpg

Feb 18, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #619 of 783
And, your judgment? Thumbs up or down?

Definitely a must buy for any SR-001mk2 / 002 / 003mk2 owner. The back cover does what it said - I won't say it is necessarily an upgrade of SQ but more of a change in presentation. The new eartips on the other hand do improve the fit tremendously, which in every way is the bright spot of the whole kit. I only wish STAX will also sell these separately and make them the stock eartips from now on.

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #622 of 783
Mar 20, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #623 of 783
Lachlan makes an impressions video of these :)

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #624 of 783
Are there any stores in Japan that have these available to demo? I've only seen the large earspeakers out on display in places like yodobashi on my last trip about two years ago. Any changes? Have been pretty curious about these.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #626 of 783
upload_2019-3-28_0-1-12.png

Boy, what a disappointment.

These new eartips don't fit me any better than the old ones.
The earhooks are at a very weird angle - in order for them to be properly positioned, my ear canal would have to be oval shaped at about 45 degree angle.
Couldn't get good sound no matter what.

The only way I ever could get great sound out of 003, was with the headband, but because the covers can't be used with the headband - I couldn't try them.

The headband is a life saver - I switch sides and wear them cable up. Still not very comfortable, but the sound is very similar to L700, maybe even better.
I switch channels at them amp to compensate for switching sides.

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #629 of 783
Got two CES-A1 kits for 75 CHF (Swiss currency) each. It's a bit of a mixed bag. Sonically I'm impressed by the unexpectedly small impact of the clip-on shells on the sound. While they make the soundstage somewhat smaller the tonality doesn't suffer as much as I would have extected it to do. And on an absolute scale it really doesn't sound closed-in but still quite open and spacious. On the downside is the added weight and the insecure seat in the ear. When standing/sitting the tips work quite fine for me at least as long as I'm not moving my head abruptly. When lying on a couch, however, I'm losing the seal and much of the bass is gone. As stated by others isolation from outside noise is marginal but the leakage is efficiently brought down to a very low level - hardly annoying for anyone but in the quietests of environments as libraries.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #630 of 783
Got my CES-A1 kit today I almost can agree on everything like chi2 impressions, I only have no seal issue - I tried the light grey ones first, very bad seal, with the white transparent one perfect seal - at least for my ears safe to use even moving in my flat.

dsc0023.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back