Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Mar 11, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #556 of 781
Hi fellow SR-002 owners:

I just got a unit myself (very late to the party yes I know) and have been enjoying it for a few hours. A query though - I have this high pitch hum in eco mode but none in normal mode. Does this point to a problem with the circuit, and is it any cause for concern that I should get my amp unit replaced?

Thanks to all. Have a nice day :)

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #557 of 781
Yes the glitch only happens in ECO mode, your unit is a faulty one, please contact your STAX dealer to get a replacment unit and the issue will be resolved, this is under warranty since this problem is the amp itself and not your source or the ear phone which causes the noise.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #558 of 781
I'm thinking of ordering but I was wondering if I can use custom sleeve with it?
FYI

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/custom-in-ear-monitor/products/aaw-custom

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #559 of 781
This will not work for the most people, since the nozzle from the SR-002 is very wide and big. If you put a typical custom tip/sleeve on top, the SR-002 sound signature will change very bad (i.e. extreme sibilant treble), I tried this method already.

Here my 1st round:

Looks ugly and changes the sound signature really bad as I said before.

Here my 2nd round:

Here is the nozzle is untouched, sound does not alter at all, but since it's very big, this wont work in small/medium sized ear canals, the only chance if you have really big ear canals to get this kind of custom version. If the nozzle get smaller on SR-002 = you will decrease sound quality massively on the SR-002 so regular custom tips/sleeve won't work at all.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #560 of 781
Yes the glitch only happens in ECO mode, your unit is a faulty one, please contact your STAX dealer to get a replacment unit and the issue will be resolved, this is under warranty since this problem is the amp itself and not your source or the ear phone which causes the noise.

Hey, I went down to my local store today and exchanged my amp unit. Indeed, the other amp had a way softer hum (nearly inaudible really). Thanks for the advice!

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #561 of 781
Man, who says these don't have bass and have bad frequency extension both ways(looking at you headphonia)? These little stax are seriously awesome. I also find them to be the most comfortable iems I've ever tried and have no need for the headband. I like the reassuring "ziiiip" when sealing them to know I'm set up properly.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #562 of 781
I guess this comment comes from a person who don't had proper seal on testing these magic Stax IEMs. I fully agree with you about bass and treble, they deliver more than enough on both ends.

But my ear canals / ear size don't work so well, without headband works for sure incl. proper seal, but not for long term listening, the headband is required in my case for long term listening, small ears are not the winner with these Stax IEMs for sure. Maybe Stax will close this gap in future revision anytime.

Anyway a bit Stax pics for this thread at the end:

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #563 of 781
Dear All!!!
Could you please reply which batteries is worth to buy?
Will the rechargeable 1.2 V will be enough?
I just found NiMH with 3.7V each one but Im afraid of damaging AMP because of 7.4 V summary.
Million thanx for reply.

P.S. I found Ultrafire rechargeable battery. Li-ion. capacity 4200.
Is it possible to use only one battery that could drive 3.7V?

Million Thanx again.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #564 of 781
Dear All!!!
Could you please reply which batteries is worth to buy?
Will the rechargeable 1.2 V will be enough?
I just found NiMH with 3.7V each one but Im afraid of damaging AMP because of 7.4 V summary.
Million thanx for reply.

P.S. I found Ultrafire rechargeable battery. Li-ion. capacity 4200.
Is it possible to use only one battery that could drive 3.7V?

Million Thanx again.

It’s been a million years since I’ve even thought about this topic, but I seem to recall that Audiocats was modifying these units to use two of those lithium batteries in parallel with each other so that it stayed at 3.7 V with all the mah you need, but then you could put both batteries in the compartment. I think it was highly recommended not to put both of these in an un-modified unit at 7.4v. This required using an external Li battery charger.

My unit has been highly modified with black gate and Vcap capacitors taking up the entire battery compartment, and I have a external battery pack that he made for me instead.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #565 of 781
I can recommend a brand called Kentli, which makes AA size rechargeable Li-ion battery with internal regulated 1.5V output. The only downside is that you will also need to get the charger from them as well, since regular charger won't work. I have been using these batteries for awhile now and have no issue at all. Best part is that these batteries will stay at 1.5V output till they are almost empty, so SQ won't degrade over time. You can find them at Aliexpress, sometime on eBay as well.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #566 of 781
I guess this comment comes from a person who don't had proper seal on testing these magic Stax IEMs. I fully agree with you about bass and treble, they deliver more than enough on both ends.

But my ear canals / ear size don't work so well, without headband works for sure incl. proper seal, but not for long term listening, the headband is required in my case for long term listening, small ears are not the winner with these Stax IEMs for sure. Maybe Stax will close this gap in future revision anytime.

Anyway a bit Stax pics for this thread at the end:

It's a bit weird but try this trick for over-ear use without a headband. Use the Right earpiece in your left ear - insert it upside down and run the cable over your ear. Do the same with the Left earpiece in your right ear. The seal should be the same as using the headband, but more secure for moving about. I've been using my SR-001 like this for ages, while it can a little disconcerting for sound cues linked to a specific ear, in general the benefits way outweigh the negatives.

regards,

Giles

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #568 of 781
Dear all.

I have 2 questions for you as a profi in staxes. I only became an owner a few days before))
the first one: I have AC Adapter that has 5 V in a good condition and another that has 4.5 V output in a bad condition. Is it critical to use 5V adapter instead of 4.5??
The second one: I has a issue with silicone tips - bad fit. I want to use it without head band. Where I could buy replacement for Stax SRS (I think that tips from SRS003 or 003 will be more fit-friendly)? and which one could fit from "non-staxes"?

Kindest regards.
Vlad

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #569 of 781
Stax Stax SR-002 and Stax SR-003 MKII are exact the same ear phone, only with different cable. So with a Stax SR-003 MKII you get a typical Stax PRO jack and the Stax SR-002 has a special small PRO jack which works only with the Stax portable amp.

If you want to try other tips on the SR-002 / SR-003 you can use the JVC spiral dot tips see here for more details: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sta...reciation-thread.631894/page-33#post-12391681

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #570 of 781
Stax Stax SR-002 and Stax SR-003 MKII are exact the same ear phone, only with different cable. So with a Stax SR-003 MKII you get a typical Stax PRO jack and the Stax SR-002 has a special small PRO jack which works only with the Stax portable amp.

If you want to try other tips on the SR-002 / SR-003 you can use the JVC spiral dot tips see here for more details: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sta...reciation-thread.631894/page-33#post-12391681

Thank you for information.
I tried cheap tips with 5mm diameter and I faced with the problem that when I try to put it on they fall down from the headphone. They slide down from the headphone tip((((
Did U faced wit this issue?? Does JVC spiral dots have no such problem (I mean falling down)?

Kind regards.
Vlad

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back