STAX SR-Ω (SR-Omega) '' The Legendary OMEGA ''
Jun 16, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #76 of 258
No, X9000s are not qualified as the successor to the Omega. I decided to sell my X9000 almost the same day I received it.

They both have good soundstage but X9000s don't have the immediacy, transient, dynamic, and liveness of X9000. I also like the tonality on the Omega a little bit better. In a direct comparison, you will feel everything comes back to life when you listen to the Omega after listening to the X9000.

That's being said, X9000 might be good for pop, EDM, or other modern music. I listen to classical/jazz almost exclusively.
With that knowledge, I will keep my HE90 and SR-Ω forever.

Jun 16, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #77 of 258
With that knowledge, I will keep my HE90 and SR-Ω forever.
My interpretations should not prevent you trying the X9000 though. X9000 has its strengths. It got a wide soundstage, smooth treble, the sound is very 'liquid'.

But to me, I like headphones that are more inviting and engaging especially for classical music which is usually 40 minutes to an hour long. X9000 could make those classical music almost become some background music whereas with R10 or HE90 you can feel everybody is having a great time.

X9000 is good for some elevator music, but I can not convince myself spending that much $$$ on elevator music.

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #80 of 258
Yeah was going to get the MDR-R10 but no one is selling them at a sensible price. They hold on to them like dear life. I'll settle for the ES-R10 for now, special no. 88 two fat lady.

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #81 of 258
Yeah was going to get the MDR-R10 but no one is selling them at a sensible price. They hold on to them like dear life. I'll settle for the ES-R10 for now, special no. 88 two fat lady.
The R10 purchase is a deep rabbit hole. I bought 15 pair of R10s until finally settled the pair in my hand.

I am not saying other R10s I got are bad. But almost every pair of R10 could make me wanting, here and there.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #82 of 258
is the new X9000 a side grade or a true successor to the SR-Ω?
I have compared them for about two weeks and tried to summarize my thoughts here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-sr-x9000.959852/post-16992372

I probably wouldn't have gone to have the thinnest diaphragm and earpads that provide the cleanest sound from an engineering standpoint.
Technically, it is an evolution, the X9000 has ultimate precision, the Omega is a bit flabby. (But we are talking at a high level anyway.)
But, more importantly, it is able to convey the energy of the music better with a wetter, heavier, more natural tone.

The SR-007 Mk1 is more like a successor, also very well tuned and better in a few ways, but not overall (imho).

In any case, the right amp and source pairing can make a big difference with any of these headphones.
Just like darth nut wrote in 1999, the 007 is even more sensitive to changes than the Omega.

https://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Headphones/Stax/SR-Omega-vs.-SR-007-Omega2/general/80474.html

I can re-post this with the formatting errors removed.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #83 of 258
One quick note I would like to mention, maybe this is already a told secret to the small Omega owner community, there are at least two variants of Omega. There was a major revision on these phones to adapt the more powerful T2.

Namely, one version is more like HE60, or HE60 on steroids. Another version, is more like 007mk1 (more specifically, the 70xxx serial number 007).

I had these two versions plural number of times and the observations are consistent. Many owners still believe the 'he60 on steroids' version has the best technical performance among all headphones (including HE1).

But all after all, headphones are not rocket science. The best driver technology reaches to the diminishing return many, many years ago. Commenting the performances of a headphone without mentioning the music type is logically not self-contained.

Jun 19, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #84 of 258
Technically, it is an evolution, the X9000 has ultimate precision, the Omega is a bit flabby.

The SR-007 Mk1 is more like a successor, also very well tuned and better in a few ways, but not overall (imho).

https://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Headphones/Stax/SR-Omega-vs.-SR-007-Omega2/general/80474.html

I can re-post this with the formatting errors removed.
I agree that the omega can be a bit flabby when u over load the bass. I have heard the explanation for this is the stator was so big at the time they couldn't find the method/material to make them stiff or rigid enough. Until they invented the MLER3 for the X9000.
Although I love the 007 MK1 which why I own 2 and it does a lot of thing right. It soundstage and micro detail can't touch the Omega. It was weird to me how I read other people reviewing saying the Omega picks up extremely detail sound you never realized that was there in your favourite tracks. But it very laid back non harsh or fatiguing. It only when I own the Omega I realize what was meant by this and that the beauty of them.
Could u PM that review without all the error thanks.
One quick note I would like to mention, maybe this is already a told secret to the small Omega owner community, there are at least two variants of Omega. There was a major revision on these phones to adapt the more powerful T2.

Namely, one version is more like HE60, or HE60 on steroids. Another version, is more like 007mk1 (more specifically, the 70xxx serial number 007).

I had these two versions plural number of times and the observations are consistent. Many owners still believe the 'he60 on steroids' version has the best technical performance among all headphones (including HE1).

But all after all, headphones are not rocket science. The best driver technology reaches to the diminishing return many, many years ago. Commenting the performances of a headphone without mentioning the music type is logically not self-contained.
This sound about right, not just rumours. That's one of the problem with owning headphones that at 30 year old plus. It sort of a gamble, u never know what u're going to get. Could be a number of other reasons they sound different, like age, care, production problem/batch/runs.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #85 of 258
I am assuming by the "HE60 on steroids" version, you mean SR-Omega serials 0-300 (intended for use with the SRM-T1 or SRM-T1S amp), and "more like 007mk1" 70XXX, you mean SR-Omega serials 300-620 (intended for use with the SRM-T2 or aftermarket amps)?

I have the SR-Omega/007 hybrid, and rather like it.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #86 of 258
The SRM-T2 probably has very little to do with the revision that was probably due to reliability and/or production issues.
With about 50 units produced, it is more than 10 times as rare as an SR-Omega, and it was bundled with the different versions in roughly equal manner.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #87 of 258
The biggest problem I have with the HE60 vs the almighty Omega is the lack of bass / impact. Almost non existence and the small sound stage compared to the Omega. I'm getting some custom lambskin pad to see if I can get a better seal to see if the bass improves and hopefully thicker pad increases the sound stage also. Fingers 🤞

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #88 of 258
I am trying very hard not to hyperventilate or get too excited! Especially after hearing so much about the Omega from @spritzer . It is on loan. :) Will gently give it a listen over the next few days or perhaps more...

7838D064-8056-487E-97C5-29C83C5D79B7.jpeg

A40EFC24-D450-41FB-8E13-883FA400D145.jpeg
BEF68709-59E5-4AD9-93B3-EABA3C5FA359.jpeg

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #90 of 258

Users who are viewing this thread

Back