STAX SR-Ω (SR-Omega) '' The Legendary OMEGA ''
Jul 5, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #91 of 258
Perhaps current Omega owners can help me with 2 questions I have as I am trying it out:
  • The earpads are meant to be so stiff?
  • how are the earpads secured?
Thank you in advance! 🙏

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #92 of 258
If they original then yes, it stiff due to 30 years. Vespa Audio (spelling likely wrong) does proper lambskin earpad for them.

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #93 of 258
If they original then yes, it stiff due to 30 years. Vespa Audio (spelling likely wrong) does proper lambskin earpad for them.
Thanks @Mach3 . I also take comfort that @spritzer likely could fix most things, wizard that he is. :)

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #94 of 258
Forgot to mention the thicker pads vesperaudio make seem to seal better giving a slight bass boost.
More in line with the ES1a from ES Labs

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #96 of 258
Will gently give it a listen over the next few days or perhaps more...
Give us a nice comparison against your current gear :) Abyss, Susvara, 009, JR, etch..

The earpad are artificial leather, the stiffness is probably now in all earpads. A major flaw on Stax. Not even Senny got it right with the He90. Also the headband assembly on the Omega is awful.

The best part of the Omega was the looseness and lightness of the headphone.

@Tugbars

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #97 of 258
Give us a nice comparison against your current gear :) Abyss, Susvara, 009, JR, etch..

The earpad are artificial leather, the stiffness is probably now in all earpads. A major flaw on Stax. Not even Senny got it right with the He90. Also the headband assembly on the Omega is awful.

The best part of the Omega was the looseness and lightness of the headphone.

@Tugbars

Thanks @protoss !

If I am not mistaken, the earpads are glued on?

Yes, I agree with you on the right grip and the lightness of the Omega.

I will definitely do so. I am actually also demoing the Lambda Signature and the SR-404. All from the same era. I am shocked that Stax used to have a middle way between the 007s and 009s. I am currently running the 404 after being on the LS for a day. I will circle back to the Omega soon. And will compare for sure. :)

AEAE66B9-DFEB-4FB4-9114-D08D88747A3E.jpeg
AA8F3A95-B0DB-47EB-8DD7-BB9138E872B1.jpeg
4307160D-A53B-43A7-9F60-DD51A6394737.jpeg

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #98 of 258
also demoing the Lambda Signature and the SR-404. All from the same era
Oh... you are playing another level here :)
Your 009 and most gear will be on sale soon j/k or am I :p ...sadly im not... j/k... nope...

SR-X/MK3 1975
Lambda 1979
Lambda Pro 1982
Lambda Signature 1987
Sigma Pro 1987
Alpha Pro Excellent 1989
Omega 1993
Lambda Nova Classic 1993
Lambda Nova Signature 1994
007mk1 1997
404 Signature 1999<--- One of my top tier favorite, and you have it for a listen :beerchug::L3000:

This is what everyone's bio should look like :p

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #100 of 258
Oh... you are playing another level here :)
Your 009 and most gear will be on sale soon j/k or am I :p ...sadly im not... j/k... nope...

SR-X/MK3 1975
Lambda 1979
Lambda Pro 1982
Lambda Signature 1987
Sigma Pro 1987
Alpha Pro Excellent 1989
Omega 1993
Lambda Nova Classic 1993
Lambda Nova Signature 1994
007mk1 1997
404 Signature 1999<--- One of my top tier favorite, and you have it for a listen :beerchug::L3000:

This is what everyone's bio should look like :p
Thanks! :) I am most fortunate to be able to listen to these.

I will admit I was surprised by the Lambda Signature. It sounded a bit veiled to me at first and then I got used to its musical presensation and its is very enjoyable. The 404 is what most would call music presentation on a grander scale. I am very pleasantly surprised.

Oooh… I see you have tried the Lambda Nova Classic. I will try to get my hands on one.

How is the SR-X by the way?

Haha! The 009 and 009S still have a place. I am running them out of the Sony TA-ZH1ES which is more euphonic and musical. So, it helps. And with the added power of the Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon, they sound great. :)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #101 of 258
How is the SR-X by the way?
Very upfront and dynamic like a Grado but smoother, mid-centric. Deep bass and highs are rolled off (that's why it can feel a bit boxed-in at first), but you get used to it.
Very nice for acoustic music. Probably worth experimenting with earpads, as many different types can be fitted and they can improve the bass and the comfort.
EQ may help with the extension.
Many of them were abused in studios, so a fair amount of them may have problems with imbalance etc. but if you get a good one, it is a bargain.
So where the SR-404 limited in that list?
It's an improved 404 with better bass and smoother upper mid tone, but personally, I still find it a bit artificial. It's a good headphone but I'm not sure if the recent price hikes make it good value, some copies of 404 are probably just good already if the same pads are fitted.

Of course, that's just my opinion, others may think differently, like:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/da43ae/threeway_shootout_lambda_edition/

Since we are in the Omega thread: if one likes the presentation of the Omega better, then the Nova series is much more like that compared to the 303/404 series. (but still different in some other ways).

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #102 of 258
Very upfront and dynamic like a Grado but smoother, mid-centric. Deep bass and highs are rolled off (that's why it can feel a bit boxed-in at first), but you get used to it.
Very nice for acoustic music. Probably worth experimenting with earpads, as many different types can be fitted and they can improve the bass and the comfort.
EQ may help with the extension.
Many of them were abused in studios, so a fair amount of them may have problems with imbalance etc. but if you get a good one, it is a bargain.

It's an improved 404 with better bass and smoother upper mid tone, but personally, I still find it a bit artificial. It's a good headphone but I'm not sure if the recent price hikes make it good value, some copies of 404 are probably just good already if the same pads are fitted.

Of course, that's just my opinion, others may think differently, like:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/da43ae/threeway_shootout_lambda_edition/

Since we are in the Omega thread: if one likes the presentation of the Omega better, then the Nova series is much more like that compared to the 303/404 series. (but still different in some other ways).
Thanks for your views, @padam . Ah… I see however that the SR-X is based on a normal bias, which means I would not be able to use it with the KGSSHV Carbon.

Noted on the Nova series. Will keep my eyes peeled for them. :)

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #103 of 258
Thanks for your views, @padam . Ah… I see however that the SR-X is based on a normal bias, which means I would not be able to use it with the KGSSHV Carbon.

Noted on the Nova series. Will keep my eyes peeled for them. :)
Kerry will be releasing a normal bias adapter box later in the year.

Or you can always get the SR-X Mk3 Pro version (there is one in the Classifieds section), a considerable step up in every way. Deeper bass, better treble, stage, and dynamics, although it costs 10x as much, since it is very rare even as a DIY version. (I regret selling mine.)

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #104 of 258
Kerry will be releasing a normal bias adapter box later in the year.

Or you can always get the SR-X Mk3 Pro version (there is one in the Classifieds section), a considerable step up in every way. Deeper bass, better treble, stage, and dynamics, although it costs 10x as much, since it is very rare even as a DIY version. (I regret selling mine.)
Thanks for the tip, @padam !

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #105 of 258

Users who are viewing this thread

Back