Stax Sigma upgrade
Jan 10, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #61 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Some scientists still dispute that, though.

Call off the scientists. They're out of their depth here. This is a job for.. English majors.

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call off the scientists. They're out of their depth here. This is a job for.. English majors.

Such risible lunacy.

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Such risible lunacy.

You've put your poker on the operative word. What other discipline makes it its goal to make you think you're hearing an Ultrasone or Stax Sigma playing your favorite music file, when all you're doing is staring at an LCD panel? Lunacy indeed.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #64 of 76
An update on the Sigma/404 modification....
I had put these phones away as they periodically had problems, just as the 202/Sigmas did. The sound level would drop and the bass became distorted. Then rest them for a couple of days and the sound would be OK for a day, but next morning - problems again. In the end I thought that I had the O2 and the LNS phones and would forget about the Sigmas - good experiment gone wrong.
Then I remembered that one time after an attempt to dismantle the phones myself, I had not screwed the metal headband pin receptacles (which also hold the whole driver assembly to the headphone body) in tightly and had heard similar effects before. Guess what - they were loose. Tightened them all and sound appears to be consistently good now. I'll keep you posted.
I would suggest anyone with the old Sigma headband makes sure that these metal receptacle screws are tight (they have a slot for screwdriver tightening - just don't go berserk - mine were very loose and I tightened them to soft screwdriver grip tightness only).
I am guessing that every time I put the phones down, the driver mounting plate would flop downwards, and create a front to back loss of the air tight seal and cancellation of sound levels and bass would result. Pity it cost me a 202/Sigma to 404/Sigma upgrade to find this out.
The O2 is a better phone, but I still like the Sigma 404 very much - much better top end than the Sigma and less boomy.

May 31, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #65 of 76
An update on the Sigma/404s - never had a recurrence of the distortion/ sound level drop after tightening the arc assembly pin receptacle sockets down. Still great headphones, but don't plumb the depths as do the Omega 2s. If you have an old Sigma lying around, go for the modification. I guess I now have a brand new pair of 202 drivers lying here as well as the old Sigma non-pro drivers.

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #66 of 76
......and the Sigma/404s never faltered since the tightening of those screws! Still love 'em!

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #67 of 76
Great! The Sigma/404 sounds like a fun hybrid 'phone.

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #68 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......and the Sigma/404s never faltered since the tightening of those screws! Still love 'em!

Still have your old sigma and 202 drivers?
icon10.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #71 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by schorsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don' you want to get rid of it:))

???????

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #74 of 76
LOL.
I have some stuff for sale, but not the Sigma/404s
1. Stax SR-Sigma/Lambda low bias drivers only - 1 pair replaced by 202 drivers
2. Stax SR 202 drivers only - 1 pair replaced by 404 drivers.
3. Original flat Sigma cable - replaced by 404 cable.
So they aren't new, but were in excellent working condition last time they were used.

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #75 of 76
Can someone share an experience of upgrading Sigmas? I have two options: swap drivers to SC-1 or to L700 on one of my old Normal Bias Sigma.
I love the sound stage of Sigmas but I want more :)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back