Stax Sigma upgrade
Dec 31, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now have working Sigma Pro earspeakers with the PCC cable!!!!!! Everything new and original except for the enclosure and the material inside the earspeaker. Used some batting for that. The original stuff is a bit dirty after all this time. It was an Original Sigma set.

So what do you think of the sound?

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #47 of 76
Quote:

I now have working Sigma Pro earspeakers with the PCC cable!!!!!! Everything new and original except for the enclosure and the material inside the earspeaker. Used some batting for that. The original stuff is a bit dirty after all this time. It was an Original Sigma set.

Sounds great!
Now please post some pictures, and impressions on how it sound.
lambda.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #48 of 76
I'm using a SRM-T1 driver from a Lexicon MC-1/Pioneer Elite DVD player to driver them. They seemed to have more high end than low end. I noticed if I put my hands over the sides the bass got deeper. I'm thinking of trying different material's to test the effects on the sound. Prehaps the batting I have is lettting too much sound escape. I have the original material but prefer to have something new. Has anyone replaced the material or done testing with other types?

Pictures the only ones I have been able to uplaod are very small black and white ones. I've seen a post with large color ones. How can that be done?
confused.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Pictures the only ones I have been able to uplaod are very small black and white ones. I've seen a post with large color ones. How can that be done?
confused.gif

Upload your pictures to something like: http://imageshack.us
Then link them up with
in your post here.

Jan 4, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #51 of 76
Ed, sorry been spending too much time internet dating for train spotter stuff. Sigmas are on the head and rocking. Initial impressions compared with the Omega 2 less lower bass, like the midrange better, rolled treble, but much better than the low bias Sigmas. Very inefficient compared with the Original Sigma and the Lambda Nova Signature or the Omega 2. I like the Omega 2 the best, Sigma Pro second and the LNS last (a bit too bright). Anyone thinking about the Sigma to Sigma Pro upgrade should go for it but will need at least an SRM 1 Mk 2 or 717 to drive them easily I suspect.

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #52 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed, sorry been spending too much time internet dating for train spotter stuff. Sigmas are on the head and rocking. Initial impressions compared with the Omega 2 less lower bass, like the midrange better, rolled treble, but much better than the low bias Sigmas. Very inefficient compared with the Original Sigma and the Lambda Nova Signature or the Omega 2. I like the Omega 2 the best, Sigma Pro second and the LNS last (a bit too bright). Anyone thinking about the Sigma to Sigma Pro upgrade should go for it but will need at least an SRM 1 Mk 2 or 717 to drive them easily I suspect.

Good review! Short and to the point.

I believe you were going to use 404 drivers this time?

I can't say I was struck by the lack of efficiency of the Sigma/404 compared to the real 404. They run about 1 notch higher on the 717 volume control than the 404. I don't have an Omega to compare them with, but on balance I prefer the Sigma/404 to the real 404.

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #53 of 76
404 drivers were used - although Accutech said they couldn't replicate the distortion while they were modifying the phones, I went ahead regardless - I could see them being returned and intermittent fault would reappear. Sound very nice, but much less efficient than the LNS set.

Jan 7, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed, sorry been spending too much time internet dating for train spotter stuff.

Sounds risky! Good phones should be able to take your mind off the opposite sex. An old girlfriend in Melbourne, on listening to my first electrostatics said, "with this you don't need anyone - you don't need sex!" Maybe you should look her up.

Jan 7, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #55 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"with this you don't nee anyone - you don't need sex!"

Egad! This is like totally reminiscent of the climactic (or is it climatic?) moment of self-revelation, the very tip of Freitag's Triangle, of an EM Forster novel!

The moment when self-awareness lays on the afterburners.

There they are, hero and heroine immersed (embedded?) in a tech-crazy world. The moment hangs in the air, hesitates. Then, eyes wide open, he clutches his electrostatics, still charged with a full 580 volts, and says, hoarsely, "The Stax and me, we need to be alone now." Fade out.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds risky! Good phones should be able to take your mind off the opposite sex. An old girlfriend in Melbourne, on listening to my first electrostatics said, "with this you don't need anyone - you don't need sex!" Maybe you should look her up.

What a woman.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
…climactic (or is it climatic?)…

Climactic, I believe, unless you're talking about global warming
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #59 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Avi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Climactic, I believe, unless you're talking about global warming
icon10.gif

Staxen are apparently capable of warming some owners globally, thus the momentary word-choice indecision.

Come to think of it, they might have moved ol' EMF the same way. We'll never know.

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #60 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Staxen are apparently capable of warming some owners globally, thus the momentary word-choice indecision.

Come to think of it, they might have moved ol' EMF the same way. We'll never know.

Some scientists still dispute that, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back