Stax Sigma upgrade
Nov 14, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #31 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow
Glad to hear that you are happy with the result. I would be curious as to what you think about the forward projection aspect of the Sigmas vs the Omegas.

Ed,
I haven't found a whole lot of difference there, but I'm not good at depth. The 202/Sigma is much less efficient than the Omega (4 vs 5.25 on the 717volume knob), whereas on the SRM 1 Mk 2, the Omega and Sigma were at the same volume.

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 76
so I won't

I have an update. I was going to use a NOS 6 prong cable for my Sigma pro's ($30). What I planed and did to an extent was ground down the center pin and then create a grove that I could jumper the center pin to the bias. Then I covered the grove with the wire in it with black RTV. Works great and looks great. I was already to install until I noticed that normal Lambda/Sigma's and believe it or not SR-202's used low capacity wire. The Pros and the SR303/404's use PC-OCC=Pure Crystal Ohno Continuous Casting wire. Luck would have it a guy on Ebay sold me his NOS SR-303's and some Lambda Signature (PC-OCC) cables. I think I bought his entire stock. Also for another $30 I was able to make three (3) old style ARC's complete with new Sigma or Lambda graphics, 1 new style arc and misc things like original female/male stax connectors. So now I have enough parts to make the following:
1) NOS Sigma Pro earspeaker. Everything, I mean everything new except for the enclosure but that looks new. Brown PC-OCC cable and brown Arc pad new of course w/Sigma graphics. Just like they were when they were sold way back when.
2) NOS Lambda normal earspeakers. Got the new case for the drivers for $20. Everything new and that means everything on this one.
3) NOS SR-202's (x4 drivers) quadraphonic earspeakers of my own design. Plan on using the 2 modified low capacity wire here as stax does on the SR-202's.
4) Enough parts to fix the earspeakers for years to come. The spare parts drove the price up a bit but it is still way less than $600 for the upgrade itself.
5) Enough cable to make 6 6' extensions. 2 pro and 4 normal.

Anybody need NOS 6 pin low capacity cable. I will sell my extra's now that I have PC-OCC extra's? Think I have enough extensions now.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #33 of 76
Newsflash - second day of listening - right channel has obvious distortion now. Not there before. Shouldn't have got those drivers off Ebay - ah well back to Accutech..... and they sounded so good!

Nov 16, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #34 of 76
I added two pictures of the low cap. ext. cable I made. I plan on covering the body with the stuff you coat tools with to give it that rubber feel. I used RTV so I could use the cable as it was meant to if I had too. Total cost $32. $30 for the NOS cable and around 2 for the fitting. The female connector was part of the $30 arc deal. It cost pennies if that. A bit cheaper than the ones on ebay and I can use it as replacement ear speaker cable if nessary.

How do you insert picture into the message without attaching? My pictures are a lot better than this but with a 25kb limit you can't get high quality. I seen some posts with nice pictures.

Sorry to hear about the drivers. They are brand new old stock. I would only trust myself to install. Accutech is doing it to make money not for the love of it. Wouldn't it be in their best interest to sell you new drivers? Well anyway I will post any trouble I have with mine once I get to the building stage. One last package coming in. Should be here next week.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #35 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan
Newsflash - second day of listening - right channel has obvious distortion now. Not there before. Shouldn't have got those drivers off Ebay - ah well back to Accutech..... and they sounded so good!

Bugger.

Nov 16, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan
second day of listening - right channel has obvious distortion now.

Sad to hear!
plainface.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev
so I won't

I So now I have enough parts to make the following:
1) NOS Sigma Pro earspeaker. Everything, I mean everything new except for the enclosure but that looks new. Brown PC-OCC cable and brown Arc pad new of course w/Sigma graphics. Just like they were when they were sold way back when.

When making a Sigma pro you probably want to use a low capacity cable, comparable to the 404 and thin diaphragms (from the 202,303 or 404)

I have three Sigmas, the low bias, original pro design and the Sigma/404 i.e. which uses 404 transducers and cable. While the basic pro is good , many find it somewhat muffled. I find the 404 parts significantly increase treble.

John Buchanan did basicaly the same mod as I did , but with the 202 drivers rather than 404. I don't believe there is much difference between these drivers, in that they use the same diaphragms. I suspect the difference is tolerances of the drivers, i.e. the 404 are more closely matched in performance.

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev
Sorry to hear about the drivers. They are brand new old stock. I would only trust myself to install. Accutech is doing it to make money not for the love of it. Wouldn't it be in their best interest to sell you new drivers?

I don't hold it against any business that they want to get paid for their services. At this moment we don't know what the problem is with John Buchanan's modded Sigma but it looks more like the 202 tranducers which were not Accutech/Yamas stock. I have dealt with Yamas over the years and most recently had them do my Sigma/404 mod. That was a complete success and I recommend them for their work.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=sigma%2F404

I certainly don't trust myself to do major work on an expensive phone.

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #42 of 76
If anyone was suggesting sabotage - this was not the case. Worked superbly the first day, then not the second. We all know it is an expensive hobby and I should have had Accutech provide the drivers, so there would have been a warranty. When I send them back, I will do this, this time with 404 drivers. I love the Sigmas!

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #43 of 76
Ed is correct here - I suspect one of the drivers failed - most unlike Stax stuff, which is usually unbelievably reliable.
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow
When making a Sigma pro you probably want to use a low capacity cable, comparable to the 404 and thin diaphragms (from the 202,303 or 404)

I have three Sigmas, the low bias, original pro design and the Sigma/404 i.e. which uses 404 transducers and cable. While the basic pro is good , many find it somewhat muffled. I find the 404 parts significantly increase treble.

John Buchanan did basicaly the same mod as I did , but with the 202 drivers rather than 404. I don't believe there is much difference between these drivers, in that they use the same diaphragms. I suspect the difference is tolerances of the drivers, i.e. the 404 are more closely matched in performance.

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #44 of 76
I now have working Sigma Pro earspeakers with the PCC cable!!!!!! Everything new and original except for the enclosure and the material inside the earspeaker. Used some batting for that. The original stuff is a bit dirty after all this time. It was an Original Sigma set.
The guy on eBay even sold me a 16 foot pro bias cable with a female end for $30. All I had to do is solder the male connector on it and that was part of the price.
Now onto make a Lamba set. I bought new drivers, new enclosures, new ear pads, new cable, and all the parts to make a new headband. All for a faction of the cost of 20 year old used ones on eBay. After that I going to build the quadraphonic/surround set using the SR202 drivers. I'll start a new tread for that project.

By the way if you are looking for parts I may have what your looking for. He sold me bags of the stuff. More than I'll ever need. Just let me know what you are looking for.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now have working Sigma Pro earspeakers with the PCC cable!!!!!! Everything new and original except for the enclosure and the material inside the earspeaker. Used some batting for that. The original stuff is a bit dirty after all this time. It was an Original Sigma set.
The guy on eBay even sold me a 16 foot pro bias cable with a female end for $30. All I had to do is solder the male connector on it and that was part of the price.
Now onto make a Lamba set. I bought new drivers, new enclosures, new ear pads, new cable, and all the parts to make a new headband. All for a faction of the cost of 20 year old used ones on eBay. After that I going to build the quadraphonic/surround set using the SR202 drivers. I'll start a new tread for that project.

By the way if you are looking for parts I may have what your looking for. He sold me bags of the stuff. More than I'll ever need. Just let me know what you are looking for.

Nicely done, Kev. Now how about some eye candy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back