Stax Sigma Low Bais and Stax Sigma Pros
Jul 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #466 of 482
Quote:
Agreed - part of the reason why the Sr-007 Mk1 got sold.

Wouldn't playing your Quads be even more comfortable?
o2smile.gif

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #467 of 482
Quote:

Wouldn't playing your Quads be even more comfortable?
o2smile.gif

Grrrrrrrrrrrr been waiting for a warranty repair to be done on these for 11 freakin' months. If I did this in my profession (a vet), I would have been deregistered. Imagine having a booking for surgery delayed 50 times over a year. NOT HAPPY!

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #468 of 482
Quote:
Grrrrrrrrrrrr been waiting for a warranty repair to be done on these for 11 freakin' months. If I did this in my profession (a vet), I would have been deregistered. Imagine having a booking for surgery delayed 50 times over a year. NOT HAPPY!

Ouch sorry to hear that John, I myself need to get my ESL63's rebuilt, which I've been slacking on.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #469 of 482
How happy are you guys with your quads? For what I gather, they may or may not need expensive repairs.
I have been tempted to buy them but also thinking on building the Linkwitz Pluto speakers, which according to some, have a sweet sound similar to them. Plus the thrill of DIY sparks my interest.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #470 of 482
Quote:
How happy are you guys with your quads? For what I gather, they may or may not need expensive repairs.
I have been tempted to buy them but also thinking on building the Linkwitz Pluto speakers, which according to some, have a sweet sound similar to them. Plus the thrill of DIY sparks my interest.

Awesome speakers, my absolute favorites until you get into stratosphere country ($25K +). These would be my end game speakers if I was in my current living situation which is a shared living room. Once I have a dedicated listening room I will be going Sound Lab Majestic.

Once rebuilt they will be good for at least another 25-30 years of use before requiring some refurbishment again (mind you the refurbishment is far less work than the rebuild and cheaper as well).

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #471 of 482
I have a pair of the amps shown in the picture, the DMA-X2. One is down, and I have been poring everywhere for a service manual as one is down. I don't suppose this owner is able to be contacted, is he?

May 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #472 of 482
Can any owners out there recommend where to get ear-pads to use with Sigmas? I've emailed Electromod and Audiocubes, and both say "no longer made / not available". They look to be the same size as SR-303 / SR-404 ear-pads, but I do recall reading in a thread that the Sigmas ear-pads were shaped differently. Can anyone chime-in with recommendations?

Thanks, 
Cameron

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #473 of 482
I've just acquired some Sigma Pros, having previously had Lambda Pros.

Without EQ, my new (!) Sigma Pros have such a boomy bass and so little treble that they're almost unlistenable. I wonder whether the problem is likely to be the following, and if so what to do about it. I'm a bit loathe to open them up because it looks like the foam that I'd have to remove would tear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[the mineral wool inside] has a tendency to cover part of the drivers and that muffles the sound a bit.
evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, with a bit of EQ, these things sound absolutely amazing. I think they're going to be my favo(u)rite headphones of all time.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #474 of 482
Some people way above have been talking about using Sigmas with Dolby Headphone and similar things. I just tried mine with Out Of Your Head speaker simulation software, and the placement of the sounds was so weird it made me want to barf. Which is what I'd expect (although the effect was more extreme than I'd expected). Simulation software that's designed to work with ordinary headphones should not work with Sigmas!

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #475 of 482
I've just acquired some Sigma Pros, having previously had Lambda Pros.

Without EQ, my new (!) Sigma Pros have such a boomy bass and so little treble that they're almost unlistenable. I wonder whether the problem is likely to be the following, and if so what to do about it. I'm a bit loathe to open them up because it looks like the foam that I'd have to remove would tear.

Out of curiosity what are you driving the Sigma. For me they are not the easiest thing to drive and even with a KGST I still found that they sound a bit boomy.

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #476 of 482
Out of curiosity what are you driving the Sigma. For me they are not the easiest thing to drive and even with a KGST I still found that they sound a bit boomy.

It's the tiny Stax SRM-Xh. I will try to listen to the Sigmas with a better amplifier. (Any Australians like to help me with that?)

But the boominess is HUGE. I'm pretty sure that either it's a matter of me getting used to the Sigma sound or there's something wrong with the phones. It can't be just the amplifier ... can it? Especially since I'm using a good pre-amp and the amplifier has plenty of headroom (I don't have to turn its volume knob up high).

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #477 of 482
Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess any of us would need to move to find a location with a good beach relatively close to a good set of mountains
rolleyes.gif

I live in the foothills of a not-fantastic-but-acceptable mountain, a half-hour walk from a great beach. :)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #478 of 482
It's the tiny Stax SRM-Xh. I will try to listen to the Sigmas with a better amplifier. (Any Australians like to help me with that?)

But the boominess is HUGE. I'm pretty sure that either it's a matter of me getting used to the Sigma sound or there's something wrong with the phones. It can't be just the amplifier ... can it? Especially since I'm using a good pre-amp and the amplifier has plenty of headroom (I don't have to turn its volume knob up high).

Sigma pro is power-hungry and needs a too-bright
transistor amp to power it. Neither the Sigma 404 or the Sigma low bias ver. are so picky on amps. So I only uses my kgsshv Carbon to power my sigma pro.
Srm xh is the last stax amp you should connect your sigma to.

Sep 27, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #479 of 482
I've just tried these phones with an SRM-353X and an SRM-007t MkII, and it's still much too bassy. So the problem is not the amplifier.

I'm leaning towards taking out a little bit of the mineral wool. I understand that the amount of mineral wool varied over the years, and I now think it's likely that my phones are from before they worked out the optimal amount.

They still sound great when EQed. I love 'em.

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #480 of 482
I've just tried these phones with an SRM-353X and an SRM-007t MkII, and it's still much too bassy. So the problem is not the amplifier.

I'm leaning towards taking out a little bit of the mineral wool. I understand that the amount of mineral wool varied over the years, and I now think it's likely that my phones are from before they worked out the optimal amount.

They still sound great when EQed. I love 'em.
The Sigma is a fundamentally bassy headphones, the chamber effect that it is design to replicate pretty much result in that. Maybe the Lambda or the SR-007 is a more suitable headphones for your listening?
You pretty much get a pair of Lambda with a different driver position if you remove the mineral wool.
The 353X is a good amp, but I don't think it got that much power. I personally really like it with Lambda though, and I think it is great value.
I don't think many people like the SRM-007t, with some complaining it lacks of driving capability, although I haven't play with one much myself. The 007 is also a tube amp, which will probably result in more bass rather than helping to reduce bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back