Stax reviews
Jul 25, 2003 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 26
Thanks for the link Kuma. So far it is a good read about Stax's line-up. I may post later after finishing the article.

Kinda funny, but at the bottom of the web page you linked to it said that the design and concept of the web site are done by kumadesign.com. Any coicidence there kuma?

Jul 25, 2003 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 26
this guy picks 303 over 404 because the 4040 system costs $2500? heh.

damn yama to hell. charging over double japanese retail for stax is half the reason they are virtually unknown in the audio world, in my opinion.

Jul 25, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 26
Grinch,

Agreed! Too bad they MORE than double the cost on these things when they import them. You can get the 2020 system from Audio Cubes for like a $400 published price, and the 3030 and 4040s for WAY less than they sell for here. It seems that the imports keep them in the "elite" market, but miss the boat on a HUGE amount of potential sales if they made the price more reasonable.

Audio Cubes charges about $1200 as their list prices for the 4040 system, and with some haggling with either they or EIFL could be dropped to a little less. This is their published prices right on their web sites, not some confidential dealing being revealed.

Importing these grey market items isn't much of an issue reliablility wise since I have never heard of a pair of Stax headphones or their amps breaking? Even Kevin Gilmore touts the Stax stuff as quite resilient and almost never having problems.

/rant

Jul 25, 2003 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
charging over double japanese retail for stax is half the reason they are virtually unknown in the audio world, in my opinion.

Word.

Jul 25, 2003 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 26
If an overseas dealer offers discount pricing, it is very uncool to post that pricing in a public forum. If the US distributor reads the post, he may complain to the parent company. That company may cut off the discounter, to protect the local distributor. Nice way to thank them for offering a bargain.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 25, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
If an overseas dealer offers discount pricing, it is very uncool to post that pricing in a public forum. If the US distributor reads the post, he may complain to the parent company.

Hirsch, this is a *very* US-centrated opinion, don't you think? I was convinced that this is an international forum. For me, "overseas" has a totally different definition...

As you say, this is a *public* forum, not a *US restricted* forum.

Jul 25, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by greenhorn
Hirsch, this is a *very* US-centrated opinion, don't you think? I was convinced that this is an international forum. For me, "overseas" has a totally different definition...

As you say, this is a *public* forum, not a *US restricted* forum.

um, posting negotiated prices publically is universally frowned upon, at least by me.

i'd prefer to say audiocubes has some good prices, but eifl will most likely beat them and leave it at that.

so pleeaaase edit that post sie.

Jul 25, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by greenhorn

For me, "overseas" has the implication of water between land masses. England is overseas from the US. The US is overseas from England. Australia is overseas from England. If you can find a way to get to Japan from another country without crossing water, please tell us about it
tongue.gif
As far as talking about US distributors, that is where I live, and I know some of their practices. If distributors act differently where you are, please feel free to add relevant information.

Back on topic, it is fine to post prices from a company such as Audiocubes that publicly posts pricing at their site anyway. It is NOT fine to post prices that are arrived at by private negotiation.

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

If an overseas dealer offers discount pricing, it is very uncool to post that pricing in a public forum. If the US distributor reads the post, he may complain to the parent company.

I said that the spirit of your post was "US-centrated" because I thought what you meant is that you were afraid that some US distributors might worry that some non-US distributors (overseas distributors) might take from them parts of the market. You did not worry at all about distributors from England or Australia
wink.gif

Moreover, for the US, "overseas" almost equates "foreign", with two exceptions, right?

That was my point, but it's no use to insist, it's not really important
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Back on topic, it is fine to post prices from a company such as Audiocubes that publicly posts pricing at their site anyway. It is NOT fine to post prices that are arrived at by private negotiation.

That was not the topic. The topic is the review done on 6Moon's web site. This has, as has been par for the course, yet another OT thread dump.

OBTW, I did NOT publish the bartered prices of EIFL or anyone else in my original post. I have no clue what they will barter down to on anything except the Omegas, and I listed the Omega AND KGSS in my post. I gave a rough estimate on what I thought they might go down to, which is not the same thing. Look at the sticky review done by Jon Acton and you'll a permanent reminder of people posting their actual negotiated price for something done publicly.

Just to make sure that this is forgotten, I already changed my post to reflect a complete departure from my original intent, which was to let people know that these things can be had for much less money than the US imposter charges, and let people know to barter some on the asking price.

OBTW, Hirsch, I do live overseas, so my post has nothing to do with the states. I live in Ecuador, not in the US, so whatever the importer in the states want to say about EIFL and AC selling their wares to other countries, that's their problem. And what EIFL and AC sells for is not a "discounted price" it is the fair asking price for the product minus a huge mark-up done by the importer. Nothing less.

Jul 25, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 26
Not needed either. My error in the post was removed since I quoted the wrong web site. (EIFL instead of Audio Cubes lists their price.)

Jul 26, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Thanks for the link Kuma. So far it is a good read about Stax's line-up. I may post later after finishing the article.

Kinda funny, but at the bottom of the web page you linked to it said that the design and concept of the web site are done by kumadesign.com. Any coicidence there kuma?

Haven't read the reaview myself. Thought this would be an interesting read for many Stax folks.

Yeah. i've helped him out on initial graphic look and logo for the site. A fun free work.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back