Stax reviews
Jul 26, 2003 at 6:33 AM Post #16 of 26
I enjoy this reviewer's articles most of the time as he seems to share my sonic goals. Thankfully, I saw nothing in the article that makes me itch to dump my K1000 for 3030 or 4040 systems. I say thankfully, because I can't afford to even if I wanted to.

It's interesting he compared K1000 to hornspeakers and Stax to electrostatic speakers. While I have tremendous "respect" for great electrostatic systems, they never grab me emotionally. I Need to hear physicality, density, great dynamics in my speakers and headphones, which explains why I love my K1000.

Another interesting point is that reviewer preferred the cheaper solid state amp for Stax than their tubed units.

I picked up my K1000 slightly used for 400 something dollars and just use my regular amps with great effect. DIY Vampire wire cost probably a total of $10. For 400 some bucks Total, I have a headphone system that rivals/exceeds my >$20,000 amp/speaker combo. Not bad IMO...

Jul 27, 2003 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 26
Interesting read indeed, especially about the author's verdict that "the differences between the two STAX systems aren't large and remain in the percentile range of less than 15%", and that the solid state amp, to some recording at least, has better ambient resolutions.

I must say I didn't give the Classic System a good listen before going straight for the Signature. I had wanted some tubes in my system, and I was able to get my Sig System (from the local dealer in HK) for far less than the price the author quoted.

The reviewer has an excellent taste for music, by the way.

Jul 27, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

I must say I didn't give the Classic System a good listen before going straight for the Signature. I had wanted some tubes in my system, and I was able to get my Sig System (from the local dealer in HK) for far less than the price the author quoted.

How much you paid for the sig system? Where is the shop located? Can I listen it in the shop? Thank you.

Jul 27, 2003 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
charging over double japanese retail for stax is half the reason they are virtually unknown in the audio world, in my opinion.

Actually, Audio Note Japan's silver litz cables used to retail in the US for 1k/meter.

I've picked 'em up while I was in Japan for approx. 250$/meter.

Accuphase gear also are sold in the US with more than average mark ups outside Japan.

OTOH, some US gear or most imported items sold in Japan are going for lot more than what natives pay for generally. ( but not quite double )

Jul 30, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
what kinda amp was this guy using fo his k 1000? it looked odd.
and what cd player is that?

I think he uses Unico 80 watt integrated for k1k for normal use.

Too bad he hasn't tried the pair with AudioPax monoblocks. That ought to be interesting.

Not sure what he's using for the transport, but he has Zanden tubed DAC. CDP, I believe Cairn Fog solid state. ( which is a wonderful player for the price )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back