Stax Interview and Factory tour 12/12/12
Feb 24, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #166 of 244
One should also not discount this as pure marketing.  It makes little sense to say they designed it with amps not available to the public. 

I do know for a fact that the people who were asked to give feedback before the 009 was unveiled used far superior amps. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #168 of 244
Wow- There certainly is a lot of audio intellectuality being generated from our article.  I am enjoying reading the newly posted blogs.  I can't say that my knowledge of the technical/parts side of the Headphone build community is that great.  For me, it's mostly a matter of the resulting sound. 

I should also say that I have booked another trip to Japan for December 2013.  This time I will be going to Osaka and Kyoto.I could possibly go to Tokyo for a day or so as well.   Since the Stax article seems to be a success, I have started to contact some other Japanese audio/headphone companies for another photo journalistic project.  Could it be that the team of Arnaud, Currowong and Scottsmrnyc will ride again in 2013??? I certainly hope so. My trip to Japan is a long way off, but it would be great to have some imput from the Headfi.org community as to what audio/headphone companies might be interviewed and reported on.  Let me know. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #169 of 244
Great interview
keep it up guys
regular_smile .gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #170 of 244
Quote:
but it would be great to have some imput from the Headfi.org community as to what audio/headphone companies might be interviewed and reported on.  Let me know.

How about assaulting the Sony head honchos about a new flagship to lay the R10 & QaliaO10 to rest...??

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #172 of 244
Tbh, it was a hell lot of work to go back and forth between english and japanese and I don't see myself doing that every over quarter... Now for sony, it's a different story since we already have contact channel fluent in english (tsunoda-san). I believe the same goes for Fostex...

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #173 of 244
Quote:
Quote:
but it would be great to have some imput from the Headfi.org community as to what audio/headphone companies might be interviewed and reported on.  Let me know.

How about assaulting the Sony head honchos about a new flagship to lay the R10 & QaliaO10 to rest...??

I've already asked. I think they'd like to, but it's hard to justify. However this was before Sony had reported heading back into the black again. If their new IEMs and headphones take off, that would surely help. 

About companies though, Stax is small, so it is easy just to ask Mr. Sasaki "Hey, can we have an interview?" and he can answer straight up "Sure. What do you want to ask?". With one of the big companies, you can't just ask them for an interview without it having to go through a couple of departments to get authorisation. Heck, if we merely visit a big company, we can't even talk about it without permission from them. But yes, I definitely want to do this again. Let me see what I can do....

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #174 of 244
Quote:

I've already asked. I think they'd like to, but it's hard to justify. However this was before Sony had reported heading back into the black again. If their new IEMs and headphones take off, that would surely help. 

About companies though, Stax is small, so it is easy just to ask Mr. Sasaki "Hey, can we have an interview?" and he can answer straight up "Sure. What do you want to ask?". With one of the big companies, you can't just ask them for an interview without it having to go through a couple of departments to get authorisation. Heck, if we merely visit a big company, we can't even talk about it without permission from them. But yes, I definitely want to do this again. Let me see what I can do....

I am worried that when there is infact an interview with Sony the reality of it will be that they will be only discussing their modern targets i.e., targetting the general public (and pro studio to some extent) and not audiophiles. I really doubt another flagship like the MDR-R10, which was a beauty of not only sound but design + build, will happen again since they are in financial trouble. I guess the success of PS4 will determine this in some way.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #176 of 244
Quote:

If I recall, they didn't exactly say "No" either. Unless I misunderstood the conversation.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #177 of 244
Quote:

Unfortunately, I think Sony has too many other issues in their business to care for refreshing their flagship headphone line.  

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #178 of 244
Quote:

Perhaps a request with Audio Technica?  

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #179 of 244
Might I suggest Mr [size=small]Takei of the Tatet H2+ and BAT super tweeter  You can ask him also if he's made any progress on an amplifier for the H2[/size]
[size=small]I think [/size]Currawong had suggested another local electronics co they might collaborate with
[size=small]He is ex Sony I believe so may know of previous headphone developments like the Qualia/R10 or may have some contacts inside the company who could be useful. [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
Fostex would be interesting too - They do a lot of OEM stuff for others like AT & Denon I believe 

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #180 of 244
I'll go Plus 1 for a Fostex story as well. love to know why they stayed with orthodynamic's when the rest of the industry abandoned them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back