Stax 007 with the ES-1
Aug 10, 2007 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

Calle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, it's the friggin noob from Denmark. I want to thank you all for the great replies I have recieved from my last questions I posted a few days ago regarding top of the line headphones and amp for trance. I read through all the replies again and again and searched everywhere on google. Writing "high-end" in google sure helps alot.
3000smile.gif

I guess that you guys already know what this is about. Well I have just recieved an email from Mikhail with an attached list of of different options/upgrades for the standard ES-1. I am going for the motherload on this one! I am skipping my new computer and buying this amp with all of the upgrades and extras. I am going to spend $18000+ on this rig and my current headphones are the Stax 007. The 90's would be sweet too, but they are hard to find.
I then again turn to you guys for advice. This is all about trance and I want my amp to sound like it was made for trance! Do you have any suggestions on which modifications I should choose for it and what I need to know in order to make the amp sound its best for the needs of electronic dance music or trance if you will?

Please advise, this is a friggin load of cash and I really want it to sound right.

Regards

Christian

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 101
You're buying a fully maxed out ES-1!?!

If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost?

If you don't want to answer that no problem.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're buying a fully maxed out ES-1!?!

If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost?

If you don't want to answer that no problem.

Well it's alot. With all the extra features it will run for about $14000 but given my knowledge on the different technical terms on each upgrade it might be less. I have not spoken with him on the different matters yet. Maybe I will leave out some options, I don't know yet. But having heard the Stax at a local store store with a standard setup and comparing them to a pair of Grado's and knowing what the ES-1 can do to electro's, I am pretty psyched about getting the headphones that sound right for trance, which this is all about.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 101
a

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats. you have all of head-fi in envy.

Aw man, you are making me feel bad now. I just want this thing to be assembled for trance, that's why I turned to you guys for some advice.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 101
Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. LOL
off the top of my head, I think there are only 5 or so people I know with ES-1s, so I guess it's their thread.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only advice I can give you: Wadia
wink.gif

Fine products, no doubt but which model are you speaking of?

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 101
the only one I've heard: 861SE (or whatever it is that tyll has)

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 101
you know what i LOVE about this forum, how accepting and helpful everyone is. In my experience, in any other audiophile forum, if a noobie burst in a proclaimed that hes buying a 14 thousand dollar system to listen to trance and dance, they would be flamed within an inch of their life
icon10.gif

Calle, if you indeed are legit, i would recommend that you put some money towards a good source (Rega saturn would be appropriate, although, a Michelle turntable wouldnt be going astray
wink.gif
. You must'nt get caught up in getting a maxed out amp (although amps are important) if you dont have a source that matches it; after all, your amp or 'phones will not give you what the source is not putting out. Its debateable as to how much musical information can be extracted from trance, but from my experience, upgrading source gives the largest sound improvement at higher price brackets.

As for the rest of you, you are truely, kings among men
rs1smile.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 101
Yea, that wadia model got discontinued. Probably one of their newer models, since it could only be an improvement on the older wadia. Also, I forgot to mention the Esoteric DV60

Seriously, for a 18K system, you at least need a 10K digital player...something that would truly bring out the best. story: Even stuff that I thought would sound bad, sounded pretty decent from the DV60... even Lilly Allen's "Alright still" was listenable and enjoyable.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 101
If you've got that much to throw around, why not just get someone to make you a push-pull amp using big direct heated transmitting triodes? You can buy a lot for $14k.

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #13 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've got that much to throw around, why not just get someone to make you a push-pull amp using big direct heated transmitting triodes? You can buy a lot for $14k.

Because the Omega II's sound awesome on the ES-1 with the right tubes. Send me your email address and I will send you my ES-1 configuration explaining my reasoning for each upgrade (or skipping it
wink.gif
) That may give you a good start.

Oh and granodemostasa's advice about the source should be taken to heart.

Aug 11, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #14 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because the Omega II's sound awesome on the ES-1 with the right tubes. Send me your email address and I will send you my ES-1 configuration explaining my reasoning for each upgrade (or skipping it
wink.gif
) That may give you a good start.

~$14k amps have a tendency to sound awesome, yes. You'd certainly hope so. I still stand by my view, though.

Aug 11, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #15 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~$14k amps have a tendency to sound awesome, yes. You'd certainly hope so. I still stand by my view, though.

I completely agree with Carl on this one. Throwing this kind of money at an ES-1 is just crazy as you can have a much better (i.e. more powerful, resolving, dynamic, subtle...) amp made for less money. Some of these "upgrades" are a joke as well.

When building a system like this you have to choose the amp carefully and as well the source and cables. Power cables can make or break your system and a dedicated power line is a must. There is a lot more to building a true high-end setup then just throwing money at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back