Static noise over USB on most DACs - any help?
Feb 3, 2020 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

c0rp1

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. Really hope someone would be able to help me, cause I've been trying to find a solution to my problem for almost an year now.

Basically I'm experiencing static noise when connecting my DAC to PC via USB. When I change to coaxial or optical there's no noise whatsoever.

First I was having the problem on a Modi Multibit - actually lots of people reported such issue, so I thought the problem was in the unit. Then I changed to Bifrost Multibit with GEN 5 USB and although they say that the Gen 5 USB fixes such issues, it didn't fix it for me. I bought a Wyrd to see if it will make any difference - it didn't. Bought a USB PCIe card and plugged the units there, instead of the motherboard directly - same problem.

I don't have the problem on my laptop though, so as someone suggested in a topic I opened a long time ago, I decided that it has to do with my power supply.Interesting enough though, the first DAC I had ever tried (ODAC) didn't have such issue.

Lately tested some premium dacs, such as - ADI-2 DAC, Topping D70 and a Chord Hugo 2. Both the ADI 2 and the Topping have the same issue, Hugo 2 doesn't... then I thought, what could be the difference. Well - it's the USB cables - the devices I'm having issues with are all USB-A to USB-B. Both the Hugo 2 and the ODAC don't have an USB-B input, they use Micro USB and Mini USB respectively. I tried other devices as well and that observation was correct every time.

So does anyone have any clue how I could fix this? Thanks in advance!

Feb 3, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 52
A USB isolator like the iFi Audio iGalvanic is what you need. I believe HifiMeDIY also make one.

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 52
I had a similiar issue with my setup (headphone amp connected to DAC/amp combo and 2nd DAC - one with unbalanced RCA cables and both DACs connected by USB). I was able to solve my static noise issue (high pitch PSU/CPU noise and mouse movements) with using an iFi iDefender 3.0 on one of the USB connections. I was sceptical at first, but really did solve the problem with „only“ spending 50 bucks.
Its no galvanic isolation, but did the job.

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 52
which cables are you using? and which drivers in windows? the drivers make a difference, at least on my yggy.

Well, tried several USB-B to USB-A cables (one being of higher quality) and it made no difference. Running windows 10, my motherboard is ASUS Z170-A with latest drivers installed. DACs that are having the issue, I just plug them in and start using them - haven't installed any specific drivers for them.

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 52
I had a similiar issue with my setup (headphone amp connected to DAC/amp combo and 2nd DAC - one with unbalanced RCA cables and both DACs connected by USB). I was able to solve my static noise issue (high pitch PSU/CPU noise and mouse movements) with using an iFi iDefender 3.0 on one of the USB connections. I was sceptical at first, but really did solve the problem with „only“ spending 50 bucks.
Its no galvanic isolation, but did the job.

Good to know but same question as above - why would I not have problems with DAC that have a USB input different than USB-B? And how can I expect a device like iFi iDefender to fix the issue, when Schiit Wyrd or USB Gen 5 board on a Schiit DAC didn't?

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 52
I suspect your problem is ground plane noise. If not then Wyrd would fix it. You need to break the ground. I forgot about iDefender as I have an iGalvanic. The iDefender should do what you need. You can still add the Wyrd after the iDefender if you still have it as it should further enhance the sound.

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 52
I suspect your problem is ground plane noise. If not then Wyrd would fix it. You need to break the ground. I forgot about iDefender as I have an iGalvanic. The iDefender should do what you need. You can still add the Wyrd after the iDefender if you still have it as it should further enhance the sound.

Ok, might try to buy a additional device in the change, but no one seems to be answering why isn't there an issue with the devices that have a USB input different than the USB-B?

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 52
Ok, might try to buy a additional device in the change, but no one seems to be answering why isn't there an issue with the devices that have a USB input different than the USB-B?
Maybe their internal design is different than others and they coincidentally have USB inputs other than type-B? I remember my FiiO E10K had this issue and its input was micro USB.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 52
It probably has nothing to do with the drivers but since you mentioned you're not using any, why not? Without drivers a DAC on Windows is never going to be very good. You need ASIO drivers to bring out the best.

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 52
As far as I know that only works if your DAC supplies a WASAPI driver.

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 52
I think it depends on the music player. It supplies the driver, at least for JRiver. I never got a wasapi driver from schiit but am using wasapi. I meant the "drivers drivers". The stuff the dac manufacturer provides to make the dac work. I have found the stuff provided by schiit to be superior to what windows installs and can be two different things based on the date and version number of the driver once installed. Try installing drivers.

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 52
I think it depends on the music player. It supplies the driver, at least for JRiver. I never got a wasapi driver from schiit but am using wasapi. I meant the "drivers drivers". The stuff the dac manufacturer provides to make the dac work. I have found the stuff provided by schiit to be superior to what windows installs and can be two different things based on the date and version number of the driver once installed. Try installing drivers.
Just tried installing the drivers for a RME ADI-2 DAC and there was no difference compared to the ones that windows installed automatically - noise is still present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back