Starting to get disappointed with q40s...
Jan 1, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
From discussions I've read here on headfi, it seems the 500 has more bass, but the 700 has "better" bass.

How do you define "better bass"? :p (= you get different answers depending on who is answering)

I think it's more down to personal preference, for me XB500 bass is better due to deep and upper bass pretty much being very equal in strength and on XB700 it's like about the same to slightly stronger in the soft rumbling deep bass output vs much weaker punchy/impactful upper bass compared to XB500. Pick your preference, if you like to feel the bass as well then pick XB500, if you just want to hear it then pick XB700.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 22
just thought id update this. I have found that the bass has gotten much better the past few days for some reason. i think i may have found the culprits. im kind of new to hi-fi, so i may be completely wrong, but i find that flac files offer much more bass. the other problem ive found is that theres not as much clamp as i would hope. is there any way to increase the clamp on them? they are all the way up (smallest they can be) but are still a little loose on my head. i do have a smallish head and short hair, but i feel like im doing something wrong if they still arent tight at the lowest setting

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #19 of 22
Lossy encodings conserve space by removing bits of data. A "good" encoding should sound more or less the same by only removing stuff that your ear normally shouldn't be able to perceive, but chances are on a lousier encoding (or a high loss one) that the really highs and really lows will probably start to get chopped. When in doubt, go lossless.

To increase clamp, you can try gently bending/curving the headband into a tighter shape. Do this one section at a time, don't just compress the entire thing. Also do it when the headphone is fully extended as well as fully shortened. Thicker pads can also help (though you say you already tried the Beyer velour pads). You could also try the pleather/leather/vinyl pads which seal more.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 22

ok, ive begun to try to bend them slowly and ive already noticed a difference.the bass seems to be much better across several genres. is it normal for the cups not to come together when placed together? i noticed in this thread that the cups seem to come together when not being used, but mine just barely touch, if at all. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/425760/my-studiophile-q40-dt770-cushion-upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back