Start Making Your Plans For 2011 CanJam @ RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest)!
Oct 3, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #211 of 262
UE and JHA should be selling also.

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #213 of 262

Quote:

Oh and +500,000 for having some beers.

I want some beer
frown.gif

Better have my fake ID ready
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #215 of 262
While I'm going to be there Thursday to Sunday I do not know how I am going to fit in all the things I want to hear and moew importantly all the friends I want to spend time with. Each year I've heard a ton of gear and read a review of a room I missed.

This is going to be a great time and from what I can see there are several statement amps, a few new iems and a heaphone or two that we'll see come out of this event. I'll also probably drop a considerable amount of dough on LP and shiny silver discs.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #216 of 262
Amen to that - music shopping at shows is always super fun!!! I'm not really in the market for any headphone gear at the moment, but I am still looking forward to checking sme out, but I am in the market to upgrade my main stereo power amp, so will be very much checking out the high end two channel rooms at RMAF.

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #217 of 262
Since this is my first RMAF show but not my last, should I hit the Canfest on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? I know it will be a mess on Saturday, so I want to hit the most that I can at the show without missing anything.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #219 of 262
Can one actually get good deals on music at the 'fest?  I would think the vendors wouldn't want to have to take anything back with them.  I know some of the equipment manufacturers pre-sell the gear they bring at very nice demo prices.  I wouldn't mind picking out something nice and shiny there.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #220 of 262
They are not on the exhibitor list.

Quote:
Any word on if Manley Labs is coming to RMAF?  I'd love to hear the Neo-Classic 300B and Stingray II.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #221 of 262
Based upon last year I didn't get the impression that the Can Jam was a mess at any time. The room is huge and it allows everyone to spread out, making it a lot easier to move around than the local meets I've been to (or hosted, our place was just barely big enough to house PNW Head-fiers).

A general rule of thumb is that the exhibit rooms with speakers sound the best on the last day, after the exhibitor has had a couple of days to do battle with the room acoustics. So it might make sense to do the software and headphone sections earlier in the show and any critical room listening later. I usually do a quick sweep of the rooms and pick a few that I want to go back to for extended listening, on the last day. Of course there will be quite a few headphones and headphone amps that will be brand new and needing break in at the show, so it might be useful to set aside time for a final listen to your favorite headphone gear toward the end of your time at the show, too. I'm bringing a fair number of well broken in cans, but the amps may be getting better and better as the days progress since nearly everything we are bringing is pretty new.

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #222 of 262
Quote:
Since this is my first RMAF show but not my last, should I hit the Canfest on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? I know it will be a mess on Saturday, so I want to hit the most that I can at the show without missing anything.

If you can make it all 3 days, then you should be there all 3 days, because the show is huge. Otherwise you should be there at least Saturday and Sunday. The show is longer on Saturday as most vendors usually start breaking down on Sunday afternoon.

http://audiofest.net/2011/show_schedule.php?Sid=1f791cbf281e762e2775e3fddebd95e9

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #223 of 262
Thanks Doc, that is a good plan.

Quote:
Based upon last year I didn't get the impression that the Can Jam was a mess at any time. The room is huge and it allows everyone to spread out, making it a lot easier to move around than the local meets I've been to (or hosted, our place was just barely big enough to house PNW Head-fiers).

A general rule of thumb is that the exhibit rooms with speakers sound the best on the last day, after the exhibitor has had a couple of days to do battle with the room acoustics. So it might make sense to do the software and headphone sections earlier in the show and any critical room listening later. I usually do a quick sweep of the rooms and pick a few that I want to go back to for extended listening, on the last day. Of course there will be quite a few headphones and headphone amps that will be brand new and needing break in at the show, so it might be useful to set aside time for a final listen to your favorite headphone gear toward the end of your time at the show, too. I'm bringing a fair number of well broken in cans, but the amps may be getting better and better as the days progress since nearly everything we are bringing is pretty new.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #225 of 262
^ Sure, why not?  Sometimes it helps as a reference point to use your own cans with some of the electronics.  That way you can at least approximate how the electronics are affecting the sound, if at all, while removing the variable introduced by someone else's 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back