Start Making Your Plans For 2011 CanJam @ RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest)!
Oct 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #226 of 262
I would most emphatically agree. There are as many flavors of headphone amps as headphones (sheeyeah, ask me how I know, that's why we have four models and plan to do one or two more), and one really needs to try various amps with a specific headphone to find out which works best for that headphone. Can Jam is the ultimate opportunity to get a whole bunch of amps in the same room and listen to them all with your favorite cans. At smaller Head Fi events it's safe and easy to borrow some headphones that are the same as what you own from one table and try them at another for a few minutes. At an event of this scale that becomes a little bit more difficult, and IMO having your own cans with you is going to make it easier to try every amp you want to hear the way you want to hear it.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #227 of 262

Quote:
One more quick question. Should we bring our own headphones to the Canfest?

What The Monkey said.

I brought my 580s last year and plugged them into the 1/4" of a RSA A-10 and found that a good amp really can make a headphone sing. Not that what I have doesn't work for me, but that made my 580s just sound amazing, probably because it was a $6,500 amp. Which I can't justify paying (even if I could) for a $100 pair of headphones, but it was a cool experience nonetheless.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #228 of 262
Could be my last communication before the RMAF show.  looking forward to seeing everyone there. I am the bald headed guy about six feet one inch. 

Oct 11, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #231 of 262
I scoured the RMAF site for these lists:

Full list of vendors in the Head-Fi room

ALO Audio
Audeo
Audeze
Beyerdynamic
Bottlehead / the Tape Project
Cavalli Audio
CEntrance
Cypher Labs
Eddie Current
Fostex
Head-Direct
HeadAmp
HRT
Jaben Audio
JH Audio
Moon Audio
Ray Samuels Audio
Schiit Audio
Sennheiser
SPL
Todd The Vinyl Junkie
Ultimate Ears
Unique Melody
Westone Labs
Woo Audio

Other vendors who make headphone-related items, not in the Head-Fi room

HeadRoom (room 2013)
Music Hall (room 450) - Music Hall PH25.2, Bellari HA540, Creek OBH-21 & OBH-21SE
Musical Fidelity (rooms 8007, 9004)
Q Audio Cable (room 8009)
Red Wine Audio (room 1009)

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #233 of 262
^ Don't know about Beyerdynamic themselves selling headphones, but Drew at Moon Audio usually looks to sell as much of everything he brings (since he's a dealer), so you might want to negotiate with him instead.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #235 of 262

Quote:
^ Don't know about Beyerdynamic themselves selling headphones, but Drew at Moon Audio usually looks to sell as much of everything he brings (since he's a dealer), so you might want to negotiate with him instead.

Steve's right on the money with this comment.
Almost all exhibitors will be elated if they can avoid shipping gear back to their home bases. The cost of showing their gear at these shows is not trivial and when things start to wind down, thoughts of recouping these costs can result in great deals.
In any case, it can't hurt to ask.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #238 of 262
Heading to the airport myself in about 14 hours.  Is it weird that I am bringing an empty suitcase just to haul back all the vinyl I am hoping to buy at the show?

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #240 of 262
Quote:
This was probably already asked but was buried under the number of responses...

I hope to be spending some money at this so I have a couple of questions:
1. do most vendors bring stock with them to sell during the show
2. what is the typical method of payment (CC, check, money order, etc.)?

Thanks all - I cannot wait!

1. No, actually most vendors tend to bring items for display only. Some vendors will probably or definitely be selling their wares though - ones like Moon Audio, maybe HeadRoom. The IEM vendors will almost definitely be selling and tend to offer free ear-mold impressions at shows like this one. As ironbut mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to ask if you can buy something though.

2. As "CanJam" isn't a buy-sell show, most vendors won't be set up to take payments directly in person, but almost all of them will take PayPal. Wouldn't hurt to have your checkbook and/or credit card either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back