Star Wars: Original vs Enhanced
Mar 16, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 90
Yeah everyone laughed at that scene as well, me included. I didn't mind RotS (I have it on DVD), but it's got nothing on any of the original films.

Mar 16, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #17 of 90
I grimace that the thread title calls the non-original version, "Enhanced." Grrr.

Han shot first.
Mos Eisley doesn't need to be made longer with gratuitous Jabba renderings.

It bugs me to see a perfectly good and crisp section of the movie turned into mush. And it was good storytelling, too: by clearly showing the mercenary, not-so-nice part of Han's character, it set things up for his departure before the battle and made it much more rewarding when he reappeared to save Luke.

Whatever else was changed might be perfectly OK with me, but since Lucas doesn't know when to stop gilding the lily, I'll go with the original, thank you. Or I would, if I could get it.

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #18 of 90
While I don't think Lucas should have messed with the originals, I really don't understand why people feel so strongly about owning the originals on DVD and I don't think the changes are that major.

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #19 of 90
han didn't shoot first.

han was the only one shooting.

from what i've seen the enhanced dvd's of 45&6 were rush jobs to coincide with the prequals. there were many mistakes made in the transfer (for example, no glow around laser shots, probably removed as a by-product of digital enhancement incorrectly implimented).

/me hugs my sw laserdiscs

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #20 of 90
Quote:

Without a doubt the original theatrical release will forever be the definitive version for the vast majority of the SW fans.

Luckily I have the original collectors edition VHS boxed set but considering how much deterioration I have witnessed in some of my older tapes think maybe it is time for a DVD backup-the best possible "screw you Lucas and your PC versions".

I will have the original cuts AND the long lasting disc format
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #21 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
How many people here think that George Lucas should've kept Star Wars IV-VI original (i.e. Han shooting Greedo first etc) as opposed to gogin through and "updating" them with enhanced digital special effects?

Personally, I have the LD's (The Definitive Collection WS). However, I don't have a demodulator so the picture quality leaves much to be desired on my HD monitor. It sucked having to pay $90 to get the LD's and a player to play them on recently! I also have the Trilogy on DVD and I am blown away by their quality each time I throw them in my transport and fire everything up, but still like to watch the originals b/c those are what I saw as a kid time and time again.

I'm not opposed to the original's being revamped but I think that the originals as they were should be available to the consumer as well on DVD since they are the versions so many people watched for the first time and enjoyed.

What kind of output does the LD have? Just SVHS and RCA out?

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #22 of 90
Quote:

How many people here think that George Lucas should've kept Star Wars IV-VI original (i.e. Han shooting Greedo first etc) as opposed to gogin through and "updating" them with enhanced digital special effects?

Personally, I have the LD's (The Definitive Collection WS). However, I don't have a demodulator so the picture quality leaves much to be desired on my HD monitor. It sucked having to pay $90 to get the LD's and a player to play them on recently! I also have the Trilogy on DVD and I am blown away by their quality each time I throw them in my transport and fire everything up, but still like to watch the originals b/c those are what I saw as a kid time and time again.

I'm not opposed to the original's being revamped but I think that the originals as they were should be available to the consumer as well on DVD since they are the versions so many people watched for the first time and enjoyed.

AFAIK a demodulator is only used to improve sound quality (by allowing access to digital stereo, DD, or DTS) not picture quality. Picture quality is determined by your specific player and the outputs it makes use of.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #24 of 90
The fact that the CG really stinks and is already really aged looking is one matter. The fact that Lucas felt it necessary to throw Anakin from the "prequels" in the end sequence of RotJ makes me screwing sick. That actor, while very good in other things (Life as a House for example) has absolutely nothing to do with the original movies, and I don't want to be reminded of just how much the prequels stank when watching an old favorite. They really should have kept the real actor in there... I mean... come on.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #25 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
The fact that the CG really stinks and is already really aged looking is one matter. The fact that Lucas felt it necessary to throw Anakin from the "prequels" in the end sequence of RotJ makes me screwing sick. That actor, while very good in other things (Life as a House for example) has absolutely nothing to do with the original movies, and I don't want to be reminded of just how much the prequels stank when watching an old favorite. They really should have kept the real actor in there... I mean... come on.

I agree, Hayden C's Anakin has no business in that scene. That was one of the most cherished scenes in the Trilogy...

It also always bothered me how they burned the corpse of Vader at the end of RotJ (i.e. When a Jedi dies their physical body ceases to exist)...so how was there a body to be burned???

It blows my mind how Lucas allows disconnects like that to remain in the film yet he goes out of his way to put Hayden in the final scene and do other needless edits.

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #26 of 90
Huge Star Wars fan here. I also prefer the originals. I have every single version ever released on DVD - Even the ANH version were it is missing the Episode 4 part with its original PCM soundtrack.
icon10.gif
I wish Lucas would have released the originals on DVD as different box set or at least to have allowed for DVD branching so you could pick which version you wanted to see. All in all, I am happy though. I have everything on DVD so I can't really complain.

EDIT: I also have the original star wars - you know - the one where Luke hangs out with Biggs and his girlfriend on their home planet.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #27 of 90
Quote:

They've also lost their 'campy' feeling IMO.

I'm glad you said this, my past few girlfriends have been starwars fans and if I had said that I would have gotten my head bitten off. The theatrical release is campy and that is why at least to me, why putting on these frills seems so silly and out of place. Did Jon Waters CGI in genitals on everybody when he released Pink Flamingos on DVD (ok bad example that would have been awsome) but Did stanly Kubric add a stitch of anything extra to The Shining? No, because its an amazing moving and amazing movies will always be amazing through out history. If anything history will look down on this kind of crap.

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #28 of 90
The originals definitely were the best. Unfortunately, during a move about 5-6 years ago, we lost the Ep 5 and 6 tapes, so all we have now is the original Ep 4. I really do wish that Lucas would release those originals on DVD. I don't care if he remasters the pictures or the sounds, as long as he doesn't change any of the actual content. Looking better is always good. Looking different and better is not.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #30 of 90
Ya know, I saw the original SW in the theater back in '77. At age 13 no less, which is the perfect age to experience it (especially back then, when 13 was still a kid). When I heard about all the changes in the latest DVDs, I was disturbed... I whined and b*tched about it on Amazon.

Then I actually saw all three of the "revised" versions and realized I'm not a purist. IMO they are as enjoyable as ever, maybe even better in some ways. Yes, a couple scenes are really bad (the new face at the end of ROTJ, Jabba in the first one etc). but nothing really serious... someone pointed out that the original(s) were campy, and IMO they still are, but for possibly different reasons (thanks George
tongue.gif
).

For another example of this practice, see the newest cut of the first "Star Trek" movie... it's really tons better with the changes that were made, so much that it makes you not care at all that the original is no longer in print.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back