Star Wars: Original vs Enhanced
Mar 17, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #46 of 90
Quote:

Lucas: The special edition, that’s the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it’s on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I’m not going to spend the, we’re talking millions of dollars here

Millions, huh? Actually he should think twice about spending this amount of money on the film b/c he is only worth $3 billion.

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #47 of 90
Hi I have tried my best to stay out of this one, as anyone growing up with the originals and that which comes from family where there are more than one kid, this topic has been boiling in debate mode since before epI was released..
I cherish the old films as well, and own the LD versions on DVD, great copies, superb job the person did on the x-fer...it is digital homicide for Lucas to have robbed half the world of their perceived recollection of this counter culture, and is more of a reminder that if you like something in a particular form or matter, cherish it and hold onto it, as things change. not for the better..
now to my reason for reply,
biggrin.gif

to person that stated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Also, it should be noted that Lucas didn't watch his own first three films before starting the newer ones.

"Leia, what do you remember of your mother?"

"I remember she was very sad."

Uh, so Leia remembered Padme? Didn't Padme die giving birth? Yes, she did. Huh. Hello, Dr. Continuity?

---I had this same feeling right after scoping epIII and had to talk it out with my lady...you know AFTER we laughed at the NOOOO part for two hours...anyway (guaran'flippin'tee that lame NOOO part is never omitted from future releases of EpIII, point in fact they will probably elongate the scream and make it in dolby 13.1 enabled, and such that you can not fast forward even past that part)
but this is my take on your comments on Leia's remarks per her Ma..
~Leia "thinks" that the images and feelings she retains is of her mother...whereas her caretaker when she took over, may have been the only perceived parental figure to Leia as an infant/child..meaning that she was never advised that the immediate caretaker was not her mother, and that furthermore this was accomplished on purpose, so as to protect the identity/well being of her to begin with..and so she never maybe realized that that person was NOT her Ma,
my kessel runs 12 parsec, 2 cent wager is in...any takers..
by the way the Mill Falcon in EpIII was cool to see, saw it live during the movie, anyone else see it the first time 'round?

edit: Also, how'bout that opening 5 minutes of epIII !! Awesome for sound!! Sometimes I am satisfied in watching the opening 5 minutes...especially through the 6.1 or through the RS-1's with tape/elect mod, don't try it with the AKG's you will be hurt...AMAZING sound and bass though, try it if you have not..I may watch it when I go home now..also, in the future I look forward to watching the 27 minute long version of EpI maybe, where JarJar's lines and presence has totally been omitted...doubt it though.

The sound on EpIII, which I have not seen mentioned in this thread too much in detail, is outstanding, especially the long dumb chase scene with the dinosaur, General G, and obi..

nice casting on obi, terrible on Samuel L...terrible, biggest miscast in history..imho.
Like 30 times I kept wanting to interupt Sam's charachter's dialogue in the movie, and wanted to interject "Shut the crap up Jewels, we are not going down to Vegas' spot for some sippy's.."

I think this was a thought of mine reoccurring because of his delivery, and committment to role (lack there of), and the way he delivered the lines...note, I think he is (Sam L) an AWESOME actor, just no business using the force, maybe Morgan Freeman was unavailable or was a trekki or something,
does anybody else wish they would die when Samuel L starts spouting off dumb tough talk during these underwelming prequels??

saw someone elses remarks on the jedi's not dissappearing I say, yeah 'sup with that Lucas??? And we have a long list of other stuff too..

Mar 17, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #48 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Not true:

Princess Leia: Luke, what's wrong?
Luke: Leia, do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
Princess Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
Luke: What do you remember?
Princess Leia: Just... images really. Feelings.
Luke: Tell me.
Princess Leia: She was... very beautiful. Kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?
Luke: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

For some reason Luke did not inherit the dreams and images that his father had when he was younger, this was passed on to Leia which is why she has these "feelings" and "images".

I don't know, that really seems like going out on a limb with rationalization, but I could be wrong... is there actual proof of that?

Mar 17, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #50 of 90
Quote:

I don't know, that really seems like going out on a limb with rationalization, but I could be wrong... is there actual proof of that?

I could probably dig it up for you or you could poke around in the forums on www.theforce.net

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #51 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I could probably dig it up for you or you could poke around in the forums on www.theforce.net

Ah, well... I really don't know. I'm taking what I'm directly getting from the movies, you know? It's not as if they're so well written that you can gleam thousands of levels of meaning from every word said.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #52 of 90
Speaking of rationalization -- can we not get into that whole why are laser beams straight conundrum?

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #53 of 90
My investigation on a California-based aucion website has brought up what I am really looking for....... DVD copies of the original LD releases. I will buy them soon and be happy. (I apologize to those I've PM'ed to obtain copies of their copies).

The new revamp, special edition, CGI, updated, etc... is just plain wrong and should not be subject of arguement. The essence of art is that is captures a moment of time much like a musical recording does. Cinema is much more than just one person, but all the people who make up the cast and crew. Star Wars 4-6 were all great ordeals and should be left alone to honor those who made them possible. Jim Henson's memory deserves to live through his works and superimposing CGI completely undermines this and is disrespectful. To have one person whimsically alter this work is extremely egotistical and just plain pathetic on their part cause it shows how insecure they truly are.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #54 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by afxdave
My investigation on a California-based aucion website has brought up what I am really looking for....... DVD copies of the original LD releases. I will buy them soon and be happy. (I apologize to those I've PM'ed to obtain copies of their copies).

The new revamp, special edition, CGI, updated, etc... is just plain wrong and should not be subject of arguement. The essence of art is that is captures a moment of time much like a musical recording does. Cinema is much more than just one person, but all the people who make up the cast and crew. Star Wars 4-6 were all great ordeals and should be left alone to honor those who made them possible. Jim Henson's memory deserves to live through his works and superimposing CGI completely undermines this and is disrespectful. To have one person whimsically alter this work is extremely egotistical and just plain pathetic on their part cause it shows how insecure they truly are.

Yes. I absolutely agree with your remarks about Jim Henson. Seeing Yoda in CG completely broke my heart.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #55 of 90
Quote:

Yes. I absolutely agree with your remarks about Jim Henson. Seeing Yoda in CG completely broke my heart.

Wait - they redid Yoda in CG???

Best,

-Jason

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #56 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Wait - they redid Yoda in CG???

Best,

-Jason

Well, in the newer onces they did. I should have been more specific. That's what broke my heart, seeing him not having Frank Oz's hand up his ass.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #57 of 90
Quote:

Well, in the newer onces they did. I should have been more specific. That's what broke my heart, seeing him not having Frank Oz's hand up his ass.

Ah, okay. Well, I bet Frank was pretty happy about not having to do all those flips and twirls at least.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #58 of 90
Quote:

I completely agree. The new CG Yoda, although he was much more "lively", didn't have any of the life that the old puppet Yoda had.
mad.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #59 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by afxdave
My investigation on a California-based aucion website has brought up what I am really looking for....... DVD copies of the original LD releases. I will buy them soon and be happy.

You really shouldn't be paying money for those... there are a couple different rips floating around, but almost all of them are fan-based efforts, and most of their creators specifically ask that they not be sold for profit. If you want them, you should look for torrents copies on fan communities instead of paying some greaseball on ebay who's profiting off of other people's work. Of course, if another fan is only charging you a nominal fee for the discs and shipping, that's a different story. Sorry for the (second) rant, but I just wanted to point out that these are an active community effort, and aren't done for profit.

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
You really shouldn't be paying money for those... there are a couple different rips floating around, but almost all of them are fan-based efforts, and most of their creators specifically ask that they not be sold for profit. If you want them, you should look for torrents copies on fan communities instead of paying some greaseball on ebay who's profiting off of other people's work. Of course, if another fan is only charging you a nominal fee for the discs and shipping, that's a different story. Sorry for the (second) rant, but I just wanted to point out that these are an active community effort, and aren't done for profit.

I feel what you're saying. Most the sellers I've seen aren't charging more than $40 for these DVD sets which come packaged and ready for use. I can't imagine them making much cash for that. Either way I figure it's worth it since the real goal is to have the originals to show my younger siblings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back