Star Wars: Original vs Enhanced
Mar 16, 2006 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

SennFan

500+ Head-Fier
How many people here think that George Lucas should've kept Star Wars IV-VI original (i.e. Han shooting Greedo first etc) as opposed to gogin through and "updating" them with enhanced digital special effects?

Personally, I have the LD's (The Definitive Collection WS). However, I don't have a demodulator so the picture quality leaves much to be desired on my HD monitor. It sucked having to pay $90 to get the LD's and a player to play them on recently! I also have the Trilogy on DVD and I am blown away by their quality each time I throw them in my transport and fire everything up, but still like to watch the originals b/c those are what I saw as a kid time and time again.

I'm not opposed to the original's being revamped but I think that the originals as they were should be available to the consumer as well on DVD since they are the versions so many people watched for the first time and enjoyed.

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 90
I hate the new versions. The worst part by far is that new song and dance number in "Return of the Jedi" at Jabba's palace with that poorly done CG thing. They also completely ruined the Sarlacc. I rented the DVDs, and when that came on it destroyed the rest of the movie for me.

Here's a pretty good guide to what's different:

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/a...-part-one.html

Read it and weep.
mad.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 90
Without a doubt the original theatrical release will forever be the definitive version for the vast majority of the SW fans. As to why Lucas doesn't understand this is beyond me.
rolleyes.gif
However, it'd be really great for them to clean up the transfer and remaster the movie and audio like the DVD release. I can only hope that this will happen for the HD-DVD/Blu Ray release...

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 90
The originals, no question. I only have the DVD boxset versions, and it's seriously painful to watch. It's a pity George Lucas done what he done to timeless classics that deserve to be watched how they were originally made.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 90
originals, they are authentic. the new stuff simply looks weird on the old films, ort of like a 57 corvette being outfitted with a modern corvette interior.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADS
I hate the new versions. The worst part by far is that new song and dance number in "Return of the Jedi" at Jabba's palace with that poorly done CG thing. They also completely ruined the Sarlacc. I rented the DVDs, and when that came on it destroyed the rest of the movie for me.

Here's a pretty good guide to what's different:

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/a...-part-one.html

Read it and weep.
mad.gif

Very good link. Some thing I noticed others I didn't. For example, the 'censorship' of the blaster bolt shots was a ridulously harmless thing to take out of the film to make it kid friendly. Lowry Digital did an excellent job with some of the scenes however, such as the Sandcralwer in IV and the binary sun shots for example among many others

I just feel that George Lucas efforts are best summed by the old saying, "The operation was a success, but the patient is dead."

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 90
Being the SW freak that I am I'm taking both sides on this one.

ANH - Should have left Mos Eisley the way it was and Greedo should have never squeezed off a round. With that said from the scene where the Falcon lifts up and fly's out of Mos Eisley I like the changes. That scene looked great as did the make over on the end Death Star sequence.

ESB - Not much changed there with the exception to the extended Wompa scene which I am impartial towards.

ROTJ - While the CGI is poor in the new song for Jabba I do kinda like the song but I would not miss it if it were the original version. Before I watched all six in a row I absolutely hated the new song at the end but after watching them in sequence it's perfect! The previous "Yub Nub" song or whatever it was called was too happy. The entire story of Star Wars and the Jedi/Sith/Anakin is very tragic and after watching all six the end song is better suited an otherwise happy ending to a tragic story. I also really enjoyed seeing all the planets from the PT at the end, it made the OT and PT seem more connected IMO.

ANH is the weakest link in the story when watched in sequence. There is too much time and lame dialouge in the begening with the droids. Also with 20 years gone by it makes it difficult to accept with such short time between all the other episodes:

TPM
10 years
AOTC
2 years
ROTS
20 years
ANH
3 years
TESB
1 year
ROTJ

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 90
I have those laserdiscs, too. If for no other reason, than to thumb my nose in Lucas' face.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyacorn

Anyone excited by the Star Wars TV series?

TV series? are they mad! the whole reason why i even put up with those last three movies was to put an end to it, by the end of it i wanted to throw something at the screen...it was so bad.
mad.gif

it's like ending a long and tragic war, it started glorious and everyone was excited at first. as the years progressed we realized how our society had changed, how much ruin had been had, and how the technology had transformed the original war; the plans of old no longer worked. then we gave them a tribute; i went to those last three to pay "star wars" the respect it deserves for chanigng the movie industry.

Mar 16, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyacorn
Definitely the original version, they should just have offered both versions of the DVD sets. I have those LD too, but a friend transferred them onto DVD for me.

Anyone excited by the Star Wars TV series?

How's the quality of the LD-->DVD transfers?

Also, I thought the animated series was ok.

Mar 16, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 90
There are a few changes that I actually liked in the new releases, however for the most part they are pretty awful. I still thought RoTS was a good film up until the famous "Nooo" part. The first time I watched it on opening night the people in the theater were actually laughing at that scene.

Mar 16, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
There are a few changes that I actually liked in the new releases, however for the most part they are pretty awful. I still thought RoTS was a good film up until the famous "Nooo" part. The first time I watched it on opening night the people in the theater were actually laughing at that scene.

You mean the infamous Nooo part!
icon10.gif

That part was hilarious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back