Star Trek vs. Star Wars
Oct 15, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #46 of 151
Babylon 5 is one of those series I'm truly disappointed to say that I missed catching in any kind of meaningful way. I'd like to say "meh!", but the reality is, the few episodes I managed to catch were "holy crap" moments...

...then again, I can say much the same about Andromeda.
redface.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #48 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Works every time, my friend. Now, how many holodeck experiences do you think you could get through while drunk?

I think the real question here is how many could Billy Dee get through. (I am not sure I can count that high.)

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #49 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.tankrdav.com/babylon5/images/b5logo.jpg

It's been mentioned and its far better than both.

Absolutely!
beerchug.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #50 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Babylon 5 is one of those series I'm truly disappointed to say that I missed catching in any kind of meaningful way. I'd like to say "meh!", but the reality is, the few episodes I managed to catch were "holy crap" moments...

...then again, I can say much the same about Andromeda.
redface.gif

The beautiful thing about B5 is even in the beginning when you think it's really dull, it's building the characters and story into a continuous story arc with basically no filler and it's not episodic like most Trek (DS9 in the last few seasons is JUST like B5 which is why I love it so much).

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #51 of 151
One thing to remember too, is the advent of TV DVD. I don't have cable/satellite in the least, nowadays. In the past, a show like Babylon 5 would have missed me completely due to my stance on NOT keeping a schedule per broadcast timing. As a result, I strayed away from programmes that didn't have an episodic nature. Now that I've unleashed myself from the networks, TV DVD has become my friend. I'm going to have to give the Babylon 5 series a real shot.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #54 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always found star trek to be way too corny, wars for me, thanks.

As corny as it appears, if you take it seriously it is very rewarding. Many of the issues we as a society will most likely be dealing with, especially AI and cloning are dealt with in Star Trek. It isn't always the right way to handle things, but it does give a vantage point to build from.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #55 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse me while I kick back with a 40 of cool, clean Colt .45 and do the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs.

That line has always bothered me, as a parsec is a unit of distance, not time.

For interest's sake, 1 parsec = 3.2616 light years (a little over 30 trillion kilometres).

Incidentally, I love both for different reasons. But Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard has to have been the best captain the Enterprise ever had. What a legend :)

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #56 of 151
What exactly is the Kessel Run? I've never really taken the time to find out.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #57 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly is the Kessel Run? I've never really taken the time to find out.

This from the Wookiepedia: "The Kessel Run was an 18-parsec route used by smugglers to move glitterstim spice from Kessel to an area south of the Si'Klaata Cluster without getting caught by the Imperial ships that were guarding the movement of spice from Kessel's mines."

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #58 of 151
Well then it would seem a 12 parsec Kessel Run would have been a slightly different and shorter, probably more dangerous route.

The original context would still apply about it being thrilling and worth bragging about, but has no mention of it being of a certain speed like most think the context is. This would be like if you took a trip by car across country versus flight. You could make an LA to NY run in less miles by flight than by car since flying is a more direct route.

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #60 of 151
LOL this is the general forum. Silly arguments are allowed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back