Star Trek vs. Star Wars
Oct 15, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #62 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL this is the general forum. Silly arguments are allowed!

Ok then... well I just checked out the scene on YouTube and it seems pretty obvious Han is referring to the speed of his ship:

Obi Wan says, "If it's a fast ship."
Han replies incredulously, "Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs."
Then he continues, "I've outrun Imperial star ships...", which again implies speed, as in order to outrun something you must go faster than it, not take a short cut.

All good fun though. I'm sure this will come up in the pub one day, and I'll be better informed to handle the debate
beerchug.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #63 of 151
Ah, I hadn't remembered the wording they used exactly. Well a little technical slip is ok I guess.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #65 of 151
Oh gads; I can't decide.

I even went to the Star Fleet Academy in the mid 60s even before I knew the Academy would be built there.

....uh; that would be the 19....60s. Not like 23 or something.

But yeah; went through the whole Star Trek thing when it first happened and saw all the Star Wars movies at theater when they first came out. Even had some really poor quality bootlegged Star Wars tapes on Beta so we could be the first ones on our block to have the Flick. We eventually got them all in VHS of course in all of Lucas' various varieties, and all the DVD versions as well, so we really didn't want to rip anybody off. We also have different versions of the Star Trek Movies as well....all, each and every one of them! And a bunch of the Star Trek TV series too!

I have even been known to wear my original Darth Vader "helmet pendant on a chain"(copyright 1977)at the same time while wearing my Star Fleet Academy pin!

....I still have my Darth pendant, but my Wife lost her C3PO pendant years ago....pity.

So shucks; I can't decide on which to vote for. But now I(we) do have to decide just which of the flicks to dial up and watch!
popcorn.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #67 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. By the end of the demo I wanted to rip my hair out and then tape it to my chin.

I voted Trek for similar reasons as you Ryan... but whats this about the force unleashed? I got it for the Wii, and besides being short, it kicks ass. What system did you play it on?

EDIT: Just saw your ranking. Mine would be something like this.

Viper: Star Trek: TNG > Star Trek > Star Wars (Original Trilogy) > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Voyager > Enterprise > Star Wars (New Trilogy) > Star Trek DS9
Philo: Wrath of Khan > Star Trek: TNG > Star Wars (Original Trilogy) > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek > Enterprise > Star Trek Voyager > Star Wars (New Trilogy) > Star Trek DS9

So, pretty close. I also never really got in to DS9. Complete tripe IMO.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #68 of 151
I love DS9.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #69 of 151
Hmmmm...DS9.

Ya know; I never really got into DS9. It just seemed too dark and depressing for my tastes. Even Voyager, although it started out OK, seemed to darken up and get tied up in a loss of hope and enthusiasm even though some of the plots were rather fun.

If I were to start watching DS9 again today with the situation the world is currently in; perhaps I'd connect with it better.

Maybe it was just my growing up in the upbeat 50s where the Future was bright and more time passing would only serve to make things even better.

My favorite series was without doubt TNG.

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #70 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted Trek for similar reasons as you Ryan... but whats this about the force unleashed? I got it for the Wii, and besides being short, it kicks ass. What system did you play it on?

It's my understanding the Wii version is significantly different, with a lot of emphasis on the wiimote for swordplay and force powers - something I would probably dig. But honestly, with the 360 demo, I found the camera to be terrible, and the controls/lock-on system was way too cumbersome. Couple that with the fact that I just don't give a rat's behind about anything outside the events of the original trilogy, and there just wasn't much for me to like about it. Seemed like a mediocre shooter with (admittedly cool) physics/deformation but it just seemed gimmicky.

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #71 of 151
hooray for looking like a total boy (I had a padawan haircut, braid, ponytail and all)

DSC05216.jpg

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #72 of 151
Star Wars is not logical and will be assimilated.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #73 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's my understanding the Wii version is significantly different, with a lot of emphasis on the wiimote for swordplay and force powers - something I would probably dig. But honestly, with the 360 demo, I found the camera to be terrible, and the controls/lock-on system was way too cumbersome.

Ahhh, I've heard about the camera problems with the 360 and PS3 versions. Not an issue on the Wii, and the control scheme is really good in my opinion. As for the not original series comment, I hear you, but it is a pretty cool story.
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #74 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
b5logo.jpg

It's been mentioned and its far better than both.

That deserved a quote repeat.
wink.gif
wink.gif

I like them all, but after years of frustration:

* 3 yrs and cancelled for Star Trek
* Battlestar Gallactica (TOS) never made it home, except for those silly episodes a few years later
* Tripods - the BBC does year one and year two of the first two novels, then cancels the series before making the third and final novel of the trilogy (still mad about that one)

Then along comes B5 - FIVE YEARS of a congruent story line, from beginning to end and a fantastic finish. The scene of Sheridan looking out from the balcony over the Shadows' city on Z'ha'dum with the White Star hurtling straight down - just before he jumped ... priceless image of sci-fi history.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #75 of 151
Totally agree tom, a big dissapointment to get into a show only to have it cancelled, SF nuts like us must be an ever shrinking "minority".

I had no idea you would be such a huge SF nut!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back