standard/manual or automatic
Oct 18, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I don't understand is, you are trying to drop the engine rpm to match the transmission speed correct? Once you press the clutch the engine is released from the transmission and already begins to drop rpm, what does letting it out in neutral, disengaging it, shifting up, and letting it out again achieve? Seems to me that all you need to do is clutch in, wait a fraction of a second for the rev's to drop, and shift up.

Exactly.
However, in some old (and I mean really old, not like '10 years ago' old) transmissions, or heavy duty truck or race car transmissions, it is necessary.

The way your transmission works is that there different gears for each speed are always spinning. Moving the lever engages each set of gears. If you do that while it's connected to the spinning engine, it will destroy the gears. So you use the clutch. However, the clutch is still spinning at whatever speed the engine was at. Normally, when you engage the gears, they slow down the clutch to the same speed as the new gear it should be in. However, without a synchro, you need to do that yourself.

Let's say you're at 3,000 rpm in 1st gear, which is a 3:1 gear. So your flywheel is 3k rpm, your clutch is 3k rpm, and the driveshaft is at 1k rpm. You want to shift to 2nd gear, which is a 2:1 gear. So you disconnect the clutch and slow the engine down to 2k rpm. The driveshaft is still spinning at 1k rpm. The clutch, however, is still at 3k rpm, because of inertia. In a regular car, when you move the shifter from 1st gear to 2nd gear, it connects the clutch to the 2:1 gear in the transmission, and the clutch slows down to 2k rpm. That's because there are little clutch-esque things (synchro-something they're called) in the transmission to make it do that. They aren't as big as the regular clutch, but because the freely spinning clutch doesn't have nearly the momentum of the engine, they don't have to be.
In a car without them, however, you might grind some gears. So what you would do is go in 1st at 3k rpm. Then you would push the clutch down, and put the car in neutral. Then you would lower to 2k rpm. Then you would let the clutch, so that the engine, not the synchros, slows down the clutch to the right speed. Then, you put the clutch out again, and put the shift lever into second, and it will catch right away. Then you can let off the clutch and drive.
It's more complicated and takes longer, but some transmissions require it.

Double clutching is often confused with toe-and-heel clutching, which is completely different. Toe and heel is when you want to downshift while braking. Like if you're taking a turn in 4th gear, but you need to slow down, but you want to be in 3rd gear at the end of the turn, so you can accelerate again. So you put the clutch in, hit the brake with your toe, and hit the gas with your heel, to get it to the correct RPM for the lower gear you're going into.

Edit - heh got beaten to the punch!

Oct 18, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly.
Double clutching is often confused with toe-and-heel clutching, which is completely different. Toe and heel is when you want to downshift while braking. Like if you're taking a turn in 4th gear, but you need to slow down, but you want to be in 3rd gear at the end of the turn, so you can accelerate again. So you put the clutch in, hit the brake with your toe, and hit the gas with your heel, to get it to the correct RPM for the lower gear you're going into.

most people actually do it the other way, with the toe on the gas and the heel on the brake. gas pedals used to be in the middle a very very long time ago.
my foot doesnt bend well the other way, and i usually have to apply more gas than brake, or at least equal of both

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #49 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does M5 qualify as hi-end sedan?

Hi end may not be the right category. Sedate, luxurious, is more like it. For example a Lexus LS460, Jaguar S-Type or XK. Not the kind of car you would get with an stick. Of course I may just get another Vette w/ a 6 speed.

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #50 of 66
This article seems pretty good at describing the double clutch and reasons for it: http://electronicdesign.com/Articles...ArticleID=6137

mrarroyo: Most of that category isn't even available with a manual transmission
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi end may not be the right category. Sedate, luxurious, is more like it. For example a Lexus LS460, Jaguar S-Type or XK. Not the kind of car you would get with an stick. Of course I may just get another Vette w/ a 6 speed.

So M5 is not luxurious? what about with Italian leather and wood trim? How about option with the massaging chair?

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

So M5 is not luxurious? what about with Italian leather and wood trim? How about option with the massaging chair?

what would make it a luxury car is if it would have a small vaccum integrated into the seat so when I fart it will wisk it away.

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #54 of 66
I actually shift my toyota without the clutch about 90% of the time, which is like double clutching only better. You certainly don't have to push in the clutch to get it out of gear, and then if you hit it just right you don't have to push it in to get it back in the next one either. It's a bit faster to just jam the clutch in, yank it to the next gear, and go, but it's a lot more relaxing to take it at its own pace.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #55 of 66
i drive a beer can on wheels...3 cylinders / 1300 cc engine.

a stick is the only way i can push this to respectability.

the transmission is going to drop anyday now.

willing to trade for a rechargable 9v battery in fair condition.
pm if interested.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #56 of 66
Never will I bought a car with a torque convertor. I really hate the feeling of a slushbox.

I would consider a true auto-manual (DSG, F1, or SMG) for my next car because my wife doesn't drive the manual, so it would be nice if we share more driving (she has her own automatic so it hasn't been a problem overall)

Oct 19, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by fat pat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most people actually do it the other way, with the toe on the gas and the heel on the brake. gas pedals used to be in the middle a very very long time ago.
my foot doesnt bend well the other way, and i usually have to apply more gas than brake, or at least equal of both

theres actually 3 ways to heel toe, the 3rd method being keeping your foot vertical and putting it exactly halfway on the gas/brake it's recommended for people with big feet like myself, I just can't do it the traditional way it probably varies by pedal placement though
rs1smile.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

No it is not! Luxurious to me means a more sedate driving pace. An M5 is meant to be driven fast and aggressive (IMO). It goes w/ what the meaning of luxurious/sedate is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back