Stacking/Piggybacking Opamps and DACs in parallel
Sep 24, 2009 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Anyone have any experience in this? I've seen reference to it a couple of times here on the forum, but no definite answer on what it does- AFAIK it should improve performance- when I was into RC, stacking MOSFETS was "the thing"- stacks 6 or 7 high were desirable. I have a couple opamps I could probably spare, but would anyone with a larger collection of expendable ICs like to try it and report back? Or anyone with a science degree care to explain why it's a stupid idea
jecklinsmile.gif
? Thanks.

Sep 24, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 24
um, that would be some (very few actually) ICs can be simply paralleled - but not many without additional components to operate safely

Voltage output DACs require load sharing resistors - many have ref pins that may not like being wired together

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 24
Well then, I'd like to take this opportunity to shift the thread towards DAC stacking. Anyone have any experience in it?

By the way, leeperry, I'm talking about mounting one DAC right on top of the other and soldering the legs together.

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 24
IIRC, I seen it done with a certain DAC chip but I cannot remember which one. I am going from memory of a really strange design I had seen a long time ago.
I cannot remember which chip it was, it was just a DIY type project but it was a common thing to do with this chip I guess. Maybe I will see if I can find the information for you.

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 24
I've just bought the DDDac.

Have a look at dddac.de. The guy there goes into some detail about stacking the TDA1543 chips to improve bit depth. 8 or 12 seems to be where the sensible limit is.

I've had single TDA1543 DAC before, so this will be interesting.

Fran

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just bought the DDDac.

Have a look at dddac.de. The guy there goes into some detail about stacking the TDA1543 chips to improve bit depth. 8 or 12 seems to be where the sensible limit is.

I've had single TDA1543 DAC before, so this will be interesting.

Fran

It doesn't affect the bit depth, all it does is give you a higher output current so you can use passive I/V without a buffer... No affect in the digital domain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back