Stacking magnets?
Dec 7, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #91 of 190
I attached n52 magnets to my SV007s and I noticed the bass appeared to be tighter. I need to to do more tests but i definitely noticed a change.
Added a second magnet on each side. The first thing I noticed is that the treble is definitely less fatiguing. This was the first time I was able to use these headphones all day without needing to take them off because of the treble spike.

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #92 of 190
Added a second magnet on each side. The first thing I noticed is that the treble is definitely less fatiguing. This was the first time I was able to use these headphones all day without needing to take them off because of the treble spike.

Nice! What are the size dimensions of the magnets are you using? Diameter and thickness...

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #94 of 190
How to do such mod on HD650 ?
on top of the plastic?
3378671.jpg

Dec 9, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #96 of 190
How to do such mod on HD650 ?
on top of the plastic?
3378671.jpg

You'd need to remove the spider cage which is holding the little piece of foam. (irreversible mod)
Google "hd650 spider cage", you will find a lot of pics with exposed magnet.
I want to do this mod on my hd580, but didn't have time yet..

Dec 9, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #97 of 190
You'd need to remove the spider cage which is holding the little piece of foam. (irreversible mod)
Google "hd650 spider cage", you will find a lot of pics with exposed magnet.
I want to do this mod on my hd580, but didn't have time yet..

After I cut the spiders the original magnet felled out so I glue i, really scarring mod... the sound improved with this mod.
it having vary strong magnet inside with giant hole, my magnet hole is smaller.
still I will try it with or without the magnets

this is HD6XX
only 2 can get inside (and for fun I put 5 out side cause the 2 inside push and touching the case :) )
x59Ue1O.jpg

inside beyerdynamic Dt880 I put 3 inside, I felt big improvement !

for HD6XX is better without, in my opinion, but with the mod without the covers is better (but using glue is so dangerous)
so or the stack magnet is stronger enough or it just not effected!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #98 of 190
After I cut the spiders the original magnet felled out so I glue i, really scarring mod... the sound improved with this mod.
it having vary strong magnet inside with giant hole, my magnet hole is smaller.
still I will try it with or without the magnets

this is HD6XX
only 2 can get inside (and for fun I put 5 out side cause the 2 inside push and touching the case :) )
x59Ue1O.jpg

inside beyerdynamic Dt880 I put 3 inside, I felt big improvement !

for HD6XX is better without, in my opinion, but with the mod without the covers is better (but using glue is so dangerous)
so or the stack magnet is stronger enough or it just not effected!

Your picture looks really funny :D
I thought the magnets in hd650 were attached securely.. You are right that using glue near the driver is dangerous.

Magnets with smaller diameter of the hole should be ok, but this driver type is really sensitive to how much air you let through this hole. More air = bigger and looser bass.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #100 of 190
What is under the foam in the very center?
something like this
pxAUGmf.jpg

but without the spider on the HD6XX the magnet is falling out easily (on the top of this magnet has some metal plate) and you will see the coil on the other side.
the diameter is bigger then reholar magnet hole

I cover this hole with some material that covered some beyerdynamic dt880 driver
90xX6Wj.jpg

one of the bad mods ever to cut this spider out of this speaker.
If this magnet fall when the coil under vantage it will burn it out.
DSC04549-M.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #101 of 190
something like this
pxAUGmf.jpg

but without the spider on the HD6XX the magnet is falling out easily (on the top of this magnet has some metal plate) and you will see the coil on the other side.
the diameter is bigger then reholar magnet hole

I cover this hole with some material that covered some beyerdynamic dt880 driver
90xX6Wj.jpg

one of the bad mods ever to cut this spider out of this speaker.
If this magnet fall when the coil under vantage it will burn it out.
DSC04549-M.jpg

If the only way to get to the magnet is to cut off the spider, but cutting off the spider risks damaging the magnet, then I would leave that model alone and I would not stack any magnets. It’s not worth the risk to destroy the driver.

I have a hunger of headphones that can’t have any magnets added to them, because there is either no room or the driver is in a sealed mini enclosure (Sennheiser HD630VB and Sennheiser Momentum).

That’s just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes, and I accept it.

That’s the thing with the magnet stacking mod - it can’t be done on every headphone. So it looks like the HD6XX is one of those headphones that can’t have the mod at all.

Unless there’s something I’m missing.

Should I add the HD6XX to my list in the 1st post of this thread, and indicate that the HD6XX can’t be modded? And what about the HD600 and HD650? Do they look exactly the same as the HD6XX (with the spider piece)? Because if so, I will add them to the list also.

Dec 9, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #102 of 190
HD6XX is the same one drivers as HD650, but the plastic parts made in china.
- Its really possible that the magnet on all models hold with this spider and not glued!
- The polarity of this magnet twice stronger then any neodymium magnet that you can put on it.
- there is not any effect or positive effect from additional magnets.

also HD580, HD600, HD 650, HD660, HD6XX, (not HD58X)
Built on the same structure, engendering and idea
BUT my HD6XX is first hand!, new ones.

It's really great mod that helps to lot of vintage headphones that built with less stronger magnet or one that waked after years,
I put 3 round magnets on old Beyerdynamic DT990 Driver (the same engineering like DT990 and DT880 pro/edition (exept the 80ohm and DT770 that covered on the back) )
3 flat on top, 3flat on the bottom of Echo n16 isodynamic, still not like it but fill improve
broke 1 flat to half for AKG K141 (constroction of the headphones almost the same for all AKG models ), the driver magnet having 4 hols (tries not to cover it). there great improve.
*some one told hear about AKG K340 (I will check letter)

Beyerdynamic Dt100 cant improve, some spider covering the magnet hole + not much space to put additional magnet inside the cans

flat one: N35 30 x 10 x 2 *not understood the different when bough 3 years ago
round: N50 15mm x 5mm with hole (another bought with data --> BR:14000-14500 GAUSS)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #104 of 190
By adding a magnet in the direction that it is attracted to the speaker, you are actually pulling field lines away from the center of the yolk. If anything this will decrease sensitivity and decrease voice coil control. People are saying it is an improvement most likely because the sharpness of the highs are getting rolled off. Because of the design of a speaker magnet, the only way to increase the field across the yoke is to use a bucking magnet, in the repelling direction, that will constrain and redirect the driver's field lines towards the voice coil. This used to be done for magnetic shielding on speakers so they wouldn't damage CRTs, but it also slightly increases sensitivity and voice coil control.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #105 of 190
By adding a magnet in the direction that it is attracted to the speaker, you are actually pulling field lines away from the center of the yolk. If anything this will decrease sensitivity and decrease voice coil control. People are saying it is an improvement most likely because the sharpness of the highs are getting rolled off. Because of the design of a speaker magnet, the only way to increase the field across the yoke is to use a bucking magnet, in the repelling direction, that will constrain and redirect the driver's field lines towards the voice coil. This used to be done for magnetic shielding on speakers so they wouldn't damage CRTs, but it also slightly increases sensitivity and voice coil control.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back