SRH840 broken
Mar 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mphile

Head-Fier
Hello,

I have accidentally broken the plastic extender (the one marked 1 - 9 which is extended to increase the size of the headphones for larger heads) of the right cup.

Now the thing is, a lot of pressure is applied here which means I can in no way fix it with super glue etc. I called Shure and the price they offered me for replacement is way too high (£110), so I somehow need to fix this. 

Can anyone help me out? How easy is it to open everything and somehow make them fixed in size, or maybe replace the plastic with something? Im in London so if anyone is willing to help me out personally I would like nothing better, and of course pay the amount required provided its around £50 or less :)

Thanks a bunch. If you want pictures, let me know.

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 9
Can't offer any help, but mine cracked up fairly quickly too for some reason. Used super glue and sellotape. Got an RMA and sent them off for repair; were returned to me unrepaired with a note that there was nothing wrong with them - go figure. Good luck with yours, pal. :)

~ Andrei.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 9
i thought everyone thought it was durable. great now i have to be extra careful. oh well what do you expect for $129.99.

also i am starting to feel like these sound bad. i would never pay full $200 price for these but they sound acceptable for $130.

edit sound bad for $200

i listen to a friends sennheiser 448 and i felt like it sounded less sibilant and more clear but then again i was listen to them at 50% volume. while usually i listen to my 840s on 85% volume on my ipod.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
i thought everyone thought it was durable. great now i have to be extra careful. oh well what do you expect for $129.99.

also i am starting to feel like these sound bad. i would never pay full $200 price for these but they sound acceptable for $130.

I remember when you said lots of good things about the 750dj's. Now the 840's...
Which headphone next? it seems like your ears are evolving. 
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I remember when you said lots of good things about the 750dj's. Now the 840's...
Which headphone next? it seems like your ears are evolving. 
wink.gif

i find the 840s and the 750djs sound practically the same except that the 750djs have way more bass. im not a bass head and i found listening to to much bass to long gave me a headache. i am much more satisfied with the shure 840s. but i still couldn't see myself paying the full $200 price tag. though if you can get them for under $150 dollars i highly recommend them.
cool.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Actually, for closed back headphones, they are well worth the $200 price tag IMO but thats just me, I love them and ive owned a fair bit of cans

Ill grab some cheap alternative and then open it up to see if i can somehow replace the plastic. Im wondering if the fact that it broke a couple of days before the 940's being released is a sign :D

Thanks anyway guys..

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah my roommate has the 750DJ, and that thing is NOT well-built at all. all clunky and creaky plastic, even the extender is plastic (come on). Much more satisfied with my ATH-M50's build quality, it's just a 'quieter' plastic, with metal where metal is needed, with reinforcements (e.g. the extender = a thick strip of steel with a thicker plastic backing).

Also the headband on my roomie's 750DJ felt like it could crack in two if I bend it outwards. Meanwhile the M50's headband I can twist it 180 degrees, bend it out/in as much as I want, and it flexes like a champ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back