SRH440 to SRH840
Jan 28, 2011 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

haarism

100+ Head-Fier
So the srh440 were my first serious business headphones and I have been enjoying them. Its been around 5 months so time for an upgrade, I'm looking at the srh840, is there a huge difference running them from an ipod touch unamped, because I've been reading things that say there isn't

If it's not a smart decision can I get some recommendations, I listen to indie folk and rock, alternative, progressive metal, very little rap and hip hop or electronic

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 32
When I had them I've found them quite easy to drive and they worked just fine out of my Ipod Touch. Of course an amp always helps, but I can't say it's required for the SRH-840.

BTW if you like the SRH-440's sound signature, you also might like the KRK KNS-8400. They're fairly bass light, but they're the most detailed headphone I own and they're extremely comfortable.
I actually prefer them (and the DJ100) over the SRH-840. SRH-840 was once my favorite headphone.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 32

When I had them I've found them quite easy to drive and they worked just fine out of my Ipod Touch. Of course an amp always helps, but I can't say it's required for the SRH-840.

BTW if you like the SRH-440's sound signature, you also might like the KRK KNS-8400. They're fairly bass light, but they're the most detailed headphone I own and they're extremely comfortable.

I actually prefer them (and the DJ100) over the SRH-840. SRH-840 was once my favorite headphone.

acually i felt the 440s were a little too bass light

so is it worth it to upgrade?

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
The M50 is not 'better' than the 840, the 840 piss on them for detail retrieval , they have tighter bass and the mids are on a par at least.

I agree, but it all depends on what sound signature someone wants. I'm guessing many people who say the M50 is better haven't tried the SRH-840 or loves a lot of bass. No problem there. To me, the M50 does almost nothing better, but it is far more comfortable. Oh and it does have more bass. Not that I care. I can perfectly understand how someone could not like the SRH-840 though. I hate how uncomfortable it is, but it sounds so good. I upgraded to the K240 Studio and DJ100. I've always found vocals on my pair of M50's quite distant and somewhat hard to hear. I think that and the bass is why I gave them up. Soundstage is pretty terrible for a closed headphone too. Despite my comments, I did like the M50. Didn't really impress me or anything.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 32
Yeah, if you are looking for more bass, the KRK wouldn't be a good option. Bass is decent, but even for a studio monitor doesn't have enough bass. I'm one who generally doesn't care that much.
I only mentioned them because they sound similar to the 440. Definitely the most comfortable headphone under $200 there is along with the K240 Studio.
Quote:
acually i felt the 440s were a little too bass lightso is it worth it to upgrade?

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 32
lol so my question wasnt answered
will i notice a big difference unamped
or should i stick with them or perhaps go with the m50

if you want something with an agressive sound and has more bass, look up the shure 750DJ, it's a completely different sound signature then the 840s
i was told they sound like a more refined m50
and i believe that the 840s do need a amp, because the 750 sure do 

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 32
hmmm ive actally read that the m50s were much better than the 750dj

also i meant to ask whether id notice a difference between the 440 and 840 unamped because ive read i wouldnt

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 32
a difference, depends on how sensitive are your ears, and in what category are you searching a difference, in my opinion, a difference would mean that you feel the part you like better...
they don't need amping, and the sount is not the same, but you may not fiind improvements in what you were searching....
in the basic ideea, the upgrade is worth, depends on what price will you have to pay for them... as i have to pay about 300$ and i still consider the price be good,(it the standard for some countryies in europe), it may worth....

but again, if you liked 440 you will like 840, but the differences may be in a category that you may don't really care about....

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 32

Quote:
Quote:
The M50 is not 'better' than the 840, the 840 piss on them for detail retrieval , they have tighter bass and the mids are on a par at least.

I agree, but it all depends on what sound signature someone wants. I'm guessing many people who say the M50 is better haven't tried the SRH-840 or loves a lot of bass. No problem there. To me, the M50 does almost nothing better, but it is far more comfortable. Oh and it does have more bass. Not that I care. I can perfectly understand how someone could not like the SRH-840 though. I hate how uncomfortable it is, but it sounds so good. I upgraded to the K240 Studio and DJ100. I've always found vocals on my pair of M50's quite distant and somewhat hard to hear. I think that and the bass is why I gave them up. Soundstage is pretty terrible for a closed headphone too. Despite my comments, I did like the M50. Didn't really impress me or anything.

personally, I find the SRH840's extremely comfy compared to the M50's, much less clamping and the only time I feel pressure on the top of my head is when the headband is pressing against a little scar that was caused by a picture frame hitting my head 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back