SR80i DIY Woody
Apr 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dsp0704

Head-Fier
I have a question. It might sound stupid but I am really serious. I've been looking at some custom "cups" made of wood and well I think it looks so much better (and I heard it sounds better too) so I want to diy my own custom cup. I can buy some cocobolo or any other type of wood for that matter but I have no drill tools or anything to punch a hole and don't want to purchase one either. I was wondering if I could buy some carving knife set and carve and sandpaper my custom cup? And another stupid question.. Can I spray paint it after to make it not look like wood without "damaging" it?

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 18
My recommendation would be to not even try. Carving wood precisely is difficult enough as it is and Cocobolo is very hard. What you are proposing will leave you frustrated with blisters on your hand and the results will be disappointing at best.

The right way to do it is on a lathe. Using hole saws and a drill press is another way, but is not as accurate and in my opinion a distant 2nd choice.

I believe JMoney sells some cups on his website for not too much considering how much goes into making them. A good set of basic carving tools will probably cost more than the cups.

Hope I didn't dash your dreams. FWIW I have been a professional woodworker for about 18 yrs.

Oh yeah, painting will not damage the wood but it will always look like wood that has been spray painted. You can use filler to fill in the grain and then get a fairly good paint job with plenty of coats and sanding in between. But if you thing wood cups look so much better why paint them?

-Dogwan

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 18
You might also check your local community centers and colleges.  They often offer classes where you can learn some skills and use their equipment to complete your project, such as building your cups!

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the responses. A little disappointed because I like to DIY stuff like building pc although it's probably 100x easier to build pc than woodworking :) maybe I will check out my college if they have woodworking classes. Again thank you.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 18
Bil have done some interesting mods on grados..maybe you can ask him for advice.  

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 18
After I said thanks and was about to give up, I went on youtube to see some vids on wooden bowls and cups from strictly using carving knives. I saw some potential. I mean although these guys are expert carvers, I think I might be able to do it. It won't be easy but I will try. Wje: Those are excellent looking grados, exactly what I want. However I can't just purchase those wood cups. I've seen JMoney's cups and it was priced $120-150. Can't afford that right now. There was a reason why I got the SR80i haha although not regreting at all actually quite happy with my purchase :)

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 18
I've read through some threads where I did see wooden napkin rings mentioned.  I'm not sure if this was someone thinking out loud - or, that they were actually going down this road.  If you were to get a pair of napkin rings in the "general" size range, performing the final carving and stripping off the finish and then applying a new finish, might not be so hard.

Places like Pier One, World Market, etc. might be some options to check out and see if they offer these rings in sizes close to what you need.  Just an idea ...

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Wow that is a great idea! I will definitely go that route. Thanks.

Good deal!  Keep us posted on what you find, where you've found it, SKU numbers, etc. -- if it works out for you.  I'm sure there are plenty of people here on this forum that would love wooden cups, but don't have the $150 budget at this point in their lives to go that route.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 18
napkin rings like these?

http://www.amazon.com/Round-Olive-Wood-Napkin-Rings/dp/B002UEI9IY

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 18
or like these?

http://www.amazon.com/DII-Natural-Wood-Band-Napkin/dp/B003VIVFGQ/ref=pd_sbs_k_1

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 18
or maybe these?

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/napkinrings.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back