SR71 obsolete soon?
Jul 26, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #46 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
Wei, I thought you would be through with your disillusionment/disenchantment with all things head-fi related a long time ago !! Having returned to head-fi after a rather long hiatus myself, I find it heartening that you stuck around, trying to educate head-fi n00bs from falling a prey to the marketing "schemes" this place is riddled with.

My dear friends, always be skeptical, and anything that costs more than a few hundred dollars could most certainly be snake oil. Read all positive reviews with skepticism, for there are business interests behind the said prouct. Nothing that sounds good should cost you what the manufacturer asks for it.

Cheers !! and EOS.

Hello Raaj, it's been a long time indeed. I hope time has treated you well. How's your headphone/amp collection doing? I have sold off all my stuff except the ER-4S.

Seeing what is happening right now on the amp forum is an exact repeat of what happened when I left 6 months ago made me feel compelled to go back on my crusade again.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #47 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i have. in certain ways, for instance, i think the Bithead is better than the SR-71. while the Bithead has some major issues, it doesn't have the suffer from the same lack of instrument separation and congested soundstage that the SR-71 displays.

I haven't heard any problems with instrument seperation or congested soundstage with the SR-71, I did find the Bithead was unlistenable because of it's flaws though...

Quote:

regardless of that, you posted that the SR-71 was pretty much the sonic equal of the HR-2. considering that statement, it seems that it would be perfectly valid to compare to the SR-71 to the PPX3 in terms of pure sonic ability while ignoring the portability factor completely.

I think you would dislike the HR-2 every bit as much as you do the SR-71 and I see little point in arguing personal taste. You like your amp and that's great!

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #48 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I haven't heard any problems with instrument seperation or congested soundstage with the SR-71, I did find the Bithead was unlistenable because of it's flaws though...

it might be a case of what cans are used. the Etymotics don't display the soundstage/seperation problems nearly as much as the CD3000s do. as soon as i try the CD3k's with the SR-71 after using with the PPX3, i notice that the soundstage is relatively very congested horizontally. i have had friends of mine try it, and they have all come to the exact same conclusion i did, even though i didn't tell them what my conclusions had been.
Quote:

I think you would dislike the HR-2 every bit as much as you do the SR-71 and I see little point in arguing personal taste. You like your amp and that's great!

i never said i disliked the SR-71. i rather like it, and would possibly purchase one if they were around $250. i think that is a decent balance of sound quality/form factor/features/cost for the amp (if the Headroom MicroAmp was the same size as the SR-71 i would push that price down to about $200 as i think the Micro w/ desktop unit bests the SR-71 in every way except for portability and battery life). i think that there is a lot of hyperbole around the SR-71, and i don't think it matches most good home amps that i've tried. i used to own a Corda HA-1 MkII, which is fairly close to the SR-71's price point, and, while i can't do a comparison, i don't remember the same flaws with the Corda that i have found with the SR-71.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #49 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
FWIW, when I read posts saying reporting that it's nearly impossible to tell the Hornet (portable, solid state) from the Raptor (tube), I can't really take that literally. I've heard solid states do a good job of sounding like tube before, but I think there's a fundemental difference there.

I think it's important to realize that Ray is from the school of thought that "A tube or solid-state amplifier should sound the same, like a straight wire with gain." A company like SinglePower takes a fundamentally different approach and believes that the amplifier should leverage all the strengths of the tubes that are used in it's construction. People vote with their dollars as to which they prefer...

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #50 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Pure? Is this a sarcastic comment? When there is money involved, nothing is ever pure.

If you want purity, take a look at headwize, now that's a place where is true purity and passion. Of course it's also pretty lonely there as well.

Sorry, but I'm not as cynical as you yet - maybe in time i will share your feelings and thoughts as well. However, I am still a noob and have enjoyed meeting with head-fiers at meets, creating good relationships with different manufacturers, reviewing products and sharing my love and joy for head-fi with as many as I can.

However, it appears some are inclined to strip that aspect from this place instead of contributing back to it

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #51 of 124
Quote:

it might be a case of what cans are used. the Etymotics don't display the soundstage/seperation problems nearly as much as the CD3000s do.

Since I'm using the Etys and they're the only thing I've used with the SR-71 so far, this could very well be true...

Quote:

i never said i disliked the SR-71.

Sorry for putting words in your mouth, that was unintentional, it's just that most folks I have heard that didn't like the SR-71 didn't particularly care for the HR-2 either.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #52 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Your comments are welcome and accepted, as long as you are open and honest about them and what you are talking about, that's it

This is exactly what happened when the SR-71 first got introduced.

1) There was a lot of hype of the little SR-71 (black bird) being the sonic equal of the XP-7, HR-2.
2) The SR-71 was declared the ultimate headphone amp, combing power, authority, with portability.
3) People flooded to the SR-71 in droves.

Now the Hornet.

I see exactly the same pattern happening all over again.

1) Hype?
2) Marketing?
3) Hype and marketing induced mass hysteria?

I lean towards 3) as the best overall explanation.

Of course, everything is strictly IMO only.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #53 of 124
Quote:

Since I'm using the Etys and they're the only thing I've used with the SR-71 so far, this could very well be true...

try some phones with a larger soundstage. i would be interested in knowing your opinion.
Quote:

Sorry for putting words in your mouth, that was unintentional, it's just that most folks I have heard that didn't like the SR-71 didn't particularly care for the HR-2 either.

no need to apologize. i would like to get a chance to hear the HR-2.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #54 of 124
Quote:

And Im not asking you to do that - just dont beat around the bush, straight out and say whatever is on your mind. Quit the foreplay, if you have a problem with a product say it with all the necessary proper nouns attached. That at least gives the manufacturer and user an opportunity to counterpoint and discuss the topic on hand.

Your comments are welcome and accepted, as long as you are open and honest about them and what you are talking about, that's it

i think i've been pretty dang open about my opinions on this thread, once the overall feel of the thread was established. it sometimes pays to play your cards close to your vest for a little while on these types of threads.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #55 of 124
Well, I guess I'll start by bringing this back on topic.

I ain't gonna beat around the bush either - i think the hornet will easily make the sr71 obsolete, and will probably give my HR2 a run for its money as well.

Its cheaper, has more options, runs on 1 9volt or off the wall - its an sr-71 killer for sure. But that is just my humble opinion of course, you can argue about different sound characteristics, but i've preferred the hornet to the sr-71 whatever source its been hooked up to so far

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #56 of 124
Quote:

try some phones with a larger soundstage. i would be interested in knowing your opinion.

I have to grab a convertor for the 1/4" plugs, I'll give it a whirl this weekend...

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #57 of 124
Quote:

Its cheaper, has more options, runs on 1 9volt or off the wall - its an sr-71 killer for sure. But that is just my humble opinion of course, you can argue about different sound characteristics, but i've preferred the hornet to the sr-71 whatever source its been hooked up to so far

What headphones have you used for comaprison, I always had a soft spot for Ray's HR-2 with the Senn HD-650's and didn't care for it that much with Grados.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #59 of 124
Quote:

I have to grab a convertor for the 1/4" plugs, I'll give it a whirl this weekend...

You have loadsa cool stuff and you don't even have a plug converter? Golden
rs1smile.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #60 of 124
Quote:

i think i've been pretty dang open about my opinions on this thread, once the overall feel of the thread was established. it sometimes pays to play your cards close to your vest for a little while on these types of threads.

Why do you feel the need to play your cards close to your vest? Go ahead man, you shouldn't feel scared to name names or whatever, I don't care, not too many people would care either, and if the people who do care get all emotional and fanboy on you just laugh at them, it's as easy as that.

If someone disagrees with you, cool - we're all civil. In the end, we are all just trying to enjoy some music through gear while conversing and meeting with others that share our interest as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back