SR71 obsolete soon?
Jul 27, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #121 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I for one, sold my XP-7 after getting the HeadRoom Micro Stack. I really loved my XP-7 but when comparing the two setups, I ended up keeping the HeadRoom product. Part of it was sound - the Stack seemed to sound better with my current main cans - but part of it was product design, too. The Stack has the same approximate footprint as the XP-7 and I'm getting a decent DAC in the deal. It also runs on wall wart power where the XP-7 requires an additional $200 power supply. Plus there are the gain settings and crossfeed filter.

I know this really seems off topic, but I wanted to point out that I'm one person who thinks the HeadRoom products are very competitive with any other product out there, especially as you go up in their product line. I also want to agree with stevieo that all the "hype" has to do with providing a superior product. Will the SR-71 become obsolete? Perhaps. Every product has a life cycle where sales start to fall off. Maybe the SR-71 had already reached the downward part of the curve. If so, then it was time for Ray to come up with a new product. That's just good business.

We have no intention to stop the Emmeline SR-71 at all. There are hundereds of SR-71 out there where the owners never post at all, they are happy with what they have & use it well for the purpose that the SR-71 was made for.
SR-71 was not made for home use, which it turned to be used like that by many, it was designed to serve it's owner while he or she are on the go, pampering the listener with high quality sound where the limit is their source.
Thats why we did not include the AC capability into the design.
The biggest review on the SR-71 is yet to be unfold by the Stereophile Meg.
in the next month issue. This Meg. hits all the world, reaches to many out there who don't even know that we exist here on this forum. How is the review? I will let you be the judge of that which will answer many questions in this thread about the sound of this tiny amp.
The Hornet is an answer to many younger generations who have been looking for a small amp that works with AC & charges the battery. Also solves many isues regarding headphones & their different sensitivities.
I hope I cleared the water, as my intention is not to advertise my product in this thread.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #122 of 124
That's cool Ray, I'm looking forward to reading that article! Any exposure for headphones in the audiophile community is welcome, and the SR71 is a fine amp to help break through the collective consciousness.

Before the SR71, I recall the Cmoy, the pocket pimeta, META42, CHA47, Airhead, Bithead, Porta Corda, Supermini/dual, being the amps to lead the charge. After the SR71 it was like the second wave of kick ass amps in tank-like casings came to the fore, like the Portaphile and Shellbrook amps, and the Supermacro of course. And now we have the AE-1, the Headroom Micro, the Hornet, etc leading the third wave. (my apologies for the folks I left out!)

There's no set standard to what a portable amp "should" be - these are the gunslinger days, enjoy them! The future of portable amps is very exciting and Stereophile is smart to pick up on it. Thanks to all the manufacturers and DIYers and inventors who are making this a fun place for us!

Jul 27, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #123 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
We have no intention to stop the Emmeline SR-71 at all. There are hundereds of SR-71 out there where the owners never post at all, they are happy with what they have & use it well for the purpose that the SR-71 was made for

I didn't mean to imply that the SR-71 was going to be discontinued. I have no idea what Ray's plans are for his business and products. I was just pointing out that all products have a product life cycle.

There are five stages to a product life cycle: introduction, growth, maturity, decline, withdrawal. Many manufacturers and companies do not recognize what stage their product or even their company is at in this cycle until it becomes too late. A smart company will realize when the product or business has reached the maturity stage and start to introduce other products or change the way it does business so as to have some way of counteracting the effects of the decline stage. This is why there is the old addage in business that if you're not growing you're falling behind. I don't know where the SR-71 is in the product life cycle, but my guess is it is in the maturity stage, which is the ideal time to be thinking about new products. This does not make the SR-71 obsolete. It only gives the consumer more choices in the marketplace and targets a different market segment.

[rant]After spending many years and thousands of dollars on a business education I do take offense when I read statements such as business = evil or marketing = bs. If you learn how business works you will understand that business is not evil and although there are a small percentage of companies that deal in underhanded ways, most companies are just trying to make an honest buck - and I would say this is especially true of the amp manufacturers that participate and support this community[/rant]

I feel better now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #124 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
The biggest review on the SR-71 is yet to be unfold by the Stereophile Meg. in the next month issue. This Meg. hits all the world, reaches to many out there who don't even know that we exist here on this forum. How is the review? I will let you be the judge of that which will answer many questions in this thread about the sound of this tiny amp.

Good hear about the upcoming review Ray, can't wait to see it =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back